Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Releases MeeGo 1.2 With Netbook UX

Phoronix: Intel Releases MeeGo 1.2 With Netbook UX

Intel, now without the support of Nokia, has released their MeeGo 1.2 Linux-based operating system. The MeeGo 1.2 core release targets Intel Atom and ARMv7 architectures and is meant to serve as a baseline for device vendors and software developers to base their work upon...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

n900 version isn't supposed to released yet

The n900 1.2 beta is coming out 25.05.
    Stable version is coming sometime in june.

"Summer release" by end of June, targets are to be refined based on beta achievement and community activity.
    source: http://wiki.meego.com/ARM/N900

Comment

The is an official N900 port which Engineers from Nokia are working on http://wiki.meego.com/ARM/N900/DeveloperEdition

Comment

tegra 250 abominations

can it be installed on Toshiba AC100 and alike ? android sucks, old android sucks more and unmaintained nvidia blobs suck the most. a good OS, like this would make that tegra bullshit worth something.
        too bad there is no non-tegra ARMv7 PC portables at least, none i know of.

Comment

Originally posted by dfx. View Post
          can it be installed on Toshiba AC100 and alike ? android sucks, old android sucks more and unmaintained nvidia blobs suck the most. a good OS, like this would make that tegra bullshit worth something.
          You'd have to do some hacking to compile all the Netbook UX for ARM (that's only available for x86) and compile the kernel, adding the tegra specific drivers (I think their video drivers are binary only??). It should be doable as all meego code is open-source, would be an interesting project.

Comment

Originally posted by dfx. View Post
            These guys have an awesome looking ARM netbook http://alwaysinnovating.com/home/index.htm I hear they've had a lot of problems with production though, so their latest devices are yet to be delivered to any customers.

Comment

What's so bad about Android?

Comment

Originally posted by brent View Post
                What's so bad about Android?
                I wouldn't want to have Android on a netbook. Fully featured OS please ...

Comment

Originally posted by matthewbpt View Post
                  You'd have to do some hacking to compile all the Netbook UX for ARM (that's only available for x86) and compile the kernel, adding the tegra specific drivers (I think their video drivers are binary only??). It should be doable as all meego code is open-source, would be an interesting project.
                  so, MeeGo team officially not even working on "netbook" UX for ARM ?
                  too bad but real issue still nvidia's binaries. most people orgasm and splurge their shit all over the place about divine happiness given by Nvidia when topic is software support for GPUs. but with tegra you fucked as much as if it were VIA's GPU.
                  you use binaries for android's 2.2 kernel (2.6.29?) and some of its userspace or you use vesa (nouveau also has 0 support for tegras). and it's not only for GPU. tegra is a name of entire board and there is some other stuff which is controlled only by obsolete binaries. and by the way, no android 3.x support either.
                  nice, huh ?

These guys have an awesome looking ARM netbook http://alwaysinnovating.com/home/index.htm I hear they've had a lot of problems with production though, so their latest devices are yet to be delivered to any customers.
                  awesome ! i always dreamed about thing like this (Touch Book) but didn't thought it actually existed. this is ideal PC portable ! this is how this it suppose to look like.

give me this thing with MeeGo or Opensuse on-board, give me N900 (or better, theirs improved and updated successor-versions) with MeeGo and my tech-craving is satisfied for years to come ! and i would buy one for every family member too. hell, i would pimp it to everyone, that would be ideal picks for laptop-like and phone-like segments respectfully.

...ah, but, of course, this one is a little outdated, GPU support is questionable too, as quantity of binary components needed (how good it be with modern Free distribution like Opensuse or Ubuntu or with tuned MeeGo actually ?) and Nokia's R&D is in a middle of destruction, N900's successor, probably, cancelled and its software support is lacking (no OTG without crutches, wtf ?).
                  and the market is filled with useless, electricity-wasting, artificially-obsolescent-via-abandonware/blobs bullcrap in both segments ! whoopty-fucking-doo >:

Comment

I wouldn't want to have Android on a netbook. Fully featured OS please ...
                    Meego is a full-featured OS? It seems to have almost similar restrictions as Android...

Comment

Working...
                    X