Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radeon development. Where to start?

Hello

I am consideren using my 'almost 3 month' of vacation on learning about the oss driver development and maybe trying to help out the development myself.

To the devs:
    Do you have any recommendations where to start? Do you got some useful links, where I can find some documentation about the several parts of the driver stack?

To the operators on #radeon:
    I can't write in the channel? It just says I don't have the permission.
    Please pm if you want my username or ip-addess, to give me the permission to write in the channel.

Thx.

For writing to the #radeon channel, you just need to be logged in (ie provide a password to go along with your nick) via whatever mechanism your IRC client uses.
    Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
      For writing to the #radeon channel, you just need to be logged in (ie provide a password to go along with your nick) via whatever mechanism your IRC client uses.
      I have tried that with no succes.

Comment

The best thing to do is to get #radeon working for you somehow, and ask the devs directly if there is something suitable for a person to bite into. Often they have a backlog of things that they've been meaning to do, but haven't had time to deal with yet

Depending on what you're most interested in, this might be in the kernel, in Mesa, Gallium3d or in the DDX.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
          Got it to work after creating a new user. Thx

Comment

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
            The best thing to do is to get #radeon working for you somehow, and ask the devs directly if there is something suitable for a person to bite into. Often they have a backlog of things that they've been meaning to do, but haven't had time to deal with yet

Depending on what you're most interested in, this might be in the kernel, in Mesa, Gallium3d or in the DDX.
            I will ask them. I can write to the channel now :-)

Comment

Glad you got it working. I was about to suggest that you ask on #radeon but fortunately the coffee kicked in before I hit "Post".
              Test signature

Comment

If you want to do Gallium or 3D driver development in general, you should know OpenGL very well (knowing Direct3D is useful too) and shader languages too (assembler-like ones and GLSL). Provided you have experience with multiple 3D APIs or you have designed your own 3D API e.g. to abstract existing APIs in a 3D game engine (like many AAA games do), reading the header files of the Gallium interface will be like reading a fairy tale. If you don't know OpenGL and shaders, iẗ́'ll be very hard to make any contribution besides really simple fixes.

I can't tell you anything about the DDX or kernel 'cause I don't commit there often.

Comment

Oh, also, the DDX for newer GPUs should look more like a 3D driver these days (ya know, setting up shaders, textures, submitting vertices...).

Comment

Originally posted by marek View Post
                    If you want to do Gallium or 3D driver development in general, you should know OpenGL very well (knowing Direct3D is useful too) and shader languages too (assembler-like ones and GLSL). Provided you have experience with multiple 3D APIs or you have designed your own 3D API e.g. to abstract existing APIs in a 3D game engine (like many AAA games do), reading the header files of the Gallium interface will be like reading a fairy tale. If you don't know OpenGL and shaders, iẗ́'ll be very hard to make any contribution besides really simple fixes.

I can't tell you anything about the DDX or kernel 'cause I don't commit there often.
                    Well I have worked with OpenGL and more with OpenCL. I haven't worked with shaders, but as far as I know they are kinda the same as OpenCL kernel besides they are more restrictive?

I have experience in c and c++ programming. I don't know if that suffice.

Comment

Working...
                    X