Linux-Based Steam Console Reaffirmed For This Year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
    Well, the Xbox 360 has been around for 7 years now, so if it is to stay for as long, it might need an even longer period of support, which RHEL/SLED would be able to cover.
    True, but I guess they are not planning to have to on shelves for that long, after all their console will just be a console so game developer have a reference hardware model for PC game development and for less knowledgeable user to not be lost. I think two new model one client release every 2-3 years and a home server model (for multiple client home and internet/gaming cafe, who want an easy solution) release every 4 to 6 years, would be good enough to make most happy, except the hardware enthusiast (which I am, but having to live for a few years on tight budget and getting older kind of helped calm that ardor and switched me more toward efficiency then raw power)

Comment

Originally posted by Pawlerson View Post
      I hope they'll at least port the most important and famous games. However, I don't understand why some of the games already ported to Linux aren't available on Steam yet. Like those from humble bundle 7.
      I really hope they work with Wine or the developers to make it easy to setup Windows games that aren't ported to Linux yet. Like confirming which version of Wine works and automatically downloading and installing it for that game. Each Windows game should come with it's own Wine essentially to maximize compatibility.

That would ease the transition to Linux, cause I don't see developers porting old games that aren't profitable.
      Last edited by Dukenukemx; 02 January 2013, 12:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dukenukemx View Post
        I really hope they work with Wine or the developers to make it easy to setup Windows games that aren't ported to Linux yet. Like confirming which version of Wine works and automatically downloading and installing it for that game. Each Windows game should come with it's own Wine essentially to maximize compatibility.

That would ease the transition to Linux, cause I don't see developers porting old games that aren't profitable.
        I could be wrong, but I think Limbo is just using a wine wrapper, and that's in Steam. At least I had read that the Humble Indie Bundle of Limbo did.

Personally I hope they don't resort to Wine for much. They really do need to get as many native games as they possibly can. If they start allowing Wine, then far too many companies will just take the lazy way out. "Well it works on version x.xx of Wine, let's just leave that installed. Oh, there is a x.xx+ version of wine that provides a performance boost? Meh, let's not spend the time to fix what bugs a newer install of wine will bring..."

Comment

Originally posted by frantaylor View Post
          I have a serial port on my computer, so I can run a serial console.

Do I need a steam port on my computer to run a steam console?

Can I get a steam port at my local HVAC dealer or do I need to get a new computer?

Perhaps steam based systems are incompatible with the hot air generated by phoronix commenters?
          What on earth are you talking about? The only hot air I see is from your totally nonsensical comment.

Comment

Originally posted by leech View Post
            There's a lot of things wrong with Ubuntu. Popular doesn't equal stable.

Oddly, I'd much prefer they develop it with CentOS/Red Hat. Or Maybe even do something like Mer. Where you have a nice solid base, and then slap the SteamUI on it. Ubuntu, with their 6 months release schedule is far too unstable as far as doing a hardware platform.

I'm mostly Debian guy, but I tend to think that Debian, as awesome as it is, doesn't have a good channel for technical support open. Whereas something like CentOS would.

Then there's always Arch Linux. But a rolling release wouldn't be all that great either, unless of course they set up their own repositories, which I think they should/would do anyhow, regardless of distribution.

In fact I'd say doing a custom release based on Arch Linux would be a fantastic idea. With systemd it boots scary fast on a normal SATA drive, I could only imagine if they put an internal SSD in it for launching the base OS or even having a decent chunk of space for installed games. Would kind of go back to the awesome days of cartridge based systems, where load times were negligible.
            There's nothing wrong with the ubuntu base. The only issues with ubuntu at the moment seem to be centered around unity, there's nothing really wrong with ubuntu as a base. Its well tested, and well supported. Its not like they will use unity for this steam box, it will most likely boot right into steam with big picture mode... (although steam integration with the unity dash would be pretty cool now that I think about it, I'd love a steam lens)

Comment

Originally posted by fettouhi View Post
              What I don't understand with this Steam Linux console what games will it run? Have they ported their 2500 games over using some proprietary wine solution?
              Who gives a s**t if they don't port 2500 titles? If they port the top 5-10 most sold games, they will have made their point. Besides, they are only going to be in charge of porting -their- titles, not everyone who chooses Steam to distribute.

Rather than mope around here, why don't you share a few words of encouragement to the Valve team for making Linux gaming a reality?

I hate it when people can't say ONE good thing before they vomit on something great....

Comment

Originally posted by MartinN View Post
                Who gives a s**t if they don't port 2500 titles? If they port the top 5-10 most sold games, they will have made their point. Besides, they are only going to be in charge of porting -their- titles, not everyone who chooses Steam to distribute.

Rather than mope around here, why don't you share a few words of encouragement to the Valve team for making Linux gaming a reality?

I hate it when people can't say ONE good thing before they vomit on something great....
                It has been said valve is working on a new source engine 2. It would make sense to reveal the console along with a brand new open gl source engine,so game developers can dive right in to start making games. Or they could choose other engines with linux support. It would make even more sense when said console is released to the public, valve also release a new game to show off the engines abilities. It will be interesting to see the hardware graphics abilities since with the new ps4 and xbox due out 2013/14. A successful console will lead to better gaming on all GNU/linux systems. Thanks valve

Comment

Originally posted by leech View Post
                  I could be wrong, but I think Limbo is just using a wine wrapper, and that's in Steam. At least I had read that the Humble Indie Bundle of Limbo did.

Personally I hope they don't resort to Wine for much. They really do need to get as many native games as they possibly can. If they start allowing Wine, then far too many companies will just take the lazy way out. "Well it works on version x.xx of Wine, let's just leave that installed. Oh, there is a x.xx+ version of wine that provides a performance boost? Meh, let's not spend the time to fix what bugs a newer install of wine will bring..."
                  what do you expect ?? codeweavers did the limbo crossover port FFS.

Comment

If the steambox is merely a reference system, updated every year or two, supporting it like Apple does with, say 3 or 4 ports for each version, they wouldn't need anything like a 5 or 10 year support plan.

e.g. the benefits of a console system (near-turnkey setup, and consistent experience) with the benefits of a PC (evolutionary updates), I think it would rock.

You could also build a custom system that meets their requirements (runs steam with a compatible os), and essentially have a moddable console :-)

Comment

Originally posted by iniudan View Post
                      i7 would just make the thing expensive for no reason, it will most likely be a Pentium (don't need the extra feature added with i3 to 7 on a console) or AMD APU, along a disgrete graphic. Would say AMD has the advantage has a wholesome system with their APU along their DSG (Nvidia optimus equivalent) disgrete graphic, would let the APU simply run by itself when discrete not required, but can have discrete graphic that can crossfire with the APU when required.

Has for everything else will most likely have an ethernet port (maybe 2, if a model designed to act has some kind of gaming home server, which would be a way to go around the account limitation in household use, without permitting an account logged in from multiple location at the same time, would also be a feature interesting for internet/gaming cafe), wifi, bluetooth, at least one USB3 port, in the back, for external storage (maybe a second frontal one for mobile storage, that way you can load on game file into it and play from it, so basically you bring an USB key instead of your disk to friend's house =p), 6 frontal USB controller port (4 for wired controller, 1 for keyboard, 1 for mouse), maybe a SD card slot (could be useful for config and save storage, in case of hard drive and/or cloud save failure, along it been common storage for vidual hardware, like camera, so useful in a basic home computer use), HDMI, displayport (for those prefer to plug into computer display hardware), for audio the usual two frontal jack for microphone and headphone, along a multichannel I/O in the back (for those that use dedicated audio hardware), and whatever the Oculus Rift require.

That about my guess for it, for it to be an awesome console, that can still be use has a basic Linux computer.
                      The only problem I see with it being an AMD APU based system is that to this day, ATI/AMD's drivers for Linux are still very much crap. Besides for a game console, why would you want a system like Optimus? You boot it up, play your games, and then shut it down. It's not like a laptop needs power saving features.

Comment

Working...
                      X