No announcement yet.

Valve Reveals More Steam Linux Distribution Details

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Am I the only one that noticed how now that all the single distro names are written out,
    the "Other" category dropped to 0.03% (down 0.73%)?
    This is amazing, it basically confirms what we've suspected all along ("Other" being
    primarily made up of Linux platforms), and should give Linux an overall boost of almost 1% usage.

Comment

Posting the results relative to the 2% was really stupid.

On a side note - I see comments here and there on problems with steam on Fedora. I have seen none on my f18 64.

Comment

Originally posted by Ancurio View Post
        Am I the only one that noticed how now that all the single distro names are written out,
        the "Other" category dropped to 0.03% (down 0.73%)?
        This is amazing, it basically confirms what we've suspected all along ("Other" being
        primarily made up of Linux platforms), and should give Linux an overall boost of almost 1% usage.
        That's what I thought, too. I thought that at least 1/4 of it might be Wine on Mac/Linux, but it's really only Linux Distros.

To bad Arch Linux now only reports itself as Linux (64 Bit) since there is no /etc/lsb-release on fresh installations. I reinstalled to do a UEFI install now I'm not an Arch User anymore in the eyes of Steam....
        Last edited by blackout23; 18 March 2013, 10:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
          That's what I thought, too. I thought that at least 1/4 of it might be Wine on Mac/Linux, but it's really only Linux Distros.

To bad Arch Linux now only reports itself as Linux (64 Bit) since there is no /etc/lsb-release on fresh installations. I reinstalled to do a UEFI install now I'm not an Arch User anymore in the eyes of Steam....

Running Steam in Wine counts as a Windows OS even though Steam can tell if Wine is used (registry keys). I am also Linux (64 Bit) with Steam... Kinda Like the way "generic Linux installation" sounds =).

Comment

Originally posted by r1348 View Post
            I'm rather bothered by the amount of Ubuntu users out there.
            I wonder how many of them use KDE and xfce?

Comment

All of this Ubuntu user bashing is not particularly helpful and pretty silly. I get it that you have plenty of contempt for Canonical for a variety of reasons, but at the end of the day, Ubuntu has brought quite a few people into the Linux fold that were never there before and arguably never would have been without it.

For reasons that are debatable, it keeps bringing in new people at a rate MUCH higher than other distros. There's nothing stopping any of the other distros from doing this job better and yet they haven't been able to accomplish this so far. I'm not going to debate why this might be, but I will point out that there will ALWAYS be a need for distros that try to make Linux as easy as possible for people that want minimal effort to do very basic things with their computer.

Arch may very well be awesome for you, but there's lots of people that will never EVER use it and that's just fine. There will always be a distro like Arch for you regardless of whether or not there always is a distro like Ubuntu.

Comment

Originally posted by r1348 View Post
                I'm rather bothered by the amount of Ubuntu users out there.
                For the general user: Linux = Ubuntu. Frankly, they've managed to "sell" Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by Nuc!eoN View Post
                  It actually requires you to have a larger amount of libs on your system and can make things (unnecessarily) more complicated. So if you have less than 4GB RAM, I only see disadvantages in installing a 64bit OS. Or what advantages do you see? I see none.
                  I am still in this camp here. You can all call me a cancer if you like, but I do not want the extra support burden.

Comment

Even if you had 512mb of RAM, running 64bit would make sense for the performance (extra registers).

Comment

I've been using Linux for a while now; I tested Slackware out a bit in the late 90's, started dual-booting around '05 and moved to Linux exclusively early in '08. I have jumped around to a dozen or so distros but spent the most time on Mint and Arch. I am comfortable with the command line, build my own computers, used to set up my own DE based around Openbox and I have a bit of experience with coding in a few languages. So I have been around a while and am not scared of getting my hands dirty under the hood, yet I choose to run Kubuntu full time now because it cuts out all the hassle and just works. While there is some fun to be had in setting everything up by hand and getting exactly what you want from a set up it comes at the cost of a fair bit of time and frustrations that are better spent on getting actual work done.

Comment

Working...
                      X