No announcement yet.

AMD Catalyst 11.6 Linux Driver Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You need to patch it, thats correct. But i can not support your distro of choice with my script.

Comment

It's OK, I like things as they are now. I don't play games that much, so Catalyst isn't needed for me.

Comment

Originally posted by slojam View Post
        I wish ATI would post download checksums..

anyone have md5 or sha1?
        Here's the md5 checksum:

516ea47b13d367e09a90acb9422df738 ati-driver-installer-11-6-x86.x86_64.run

Richard

Comment

Arch: maybe use catalyst/radeon switch?

Originally posted by Reloaded211 View Post
          By saying "No support for kernel 2.6.39" I meant that the binary driver won't compile for me. It fails with an error complaining about the lack of "smp_lock.h". I don't install Catalyst using Pacman because removing it by necessity takes the whole KDE desktop along with it.
          akhem, akhem...
          Arch's catalyst supports 2.6.39 for months now, since it's first RC's...
          You rly should to read about AUR and unofficial repositories., here's our catalyst wiki: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/ATI_Catalyst

But since you like oss radeon then maybe use AUR's catalyst-total - it supports powerXpress so you actually could easily switch between oss radeon (do NOT remove libgl, ati-dri and xf86-video-ati packages) and catalyst in any time via pxp_switch_catalyst script (well reboot is needed).
          catalyst-total is here: http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=31914
          I need to write some documentation for this switch, but for now this should be enough: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic....937766#p937766

Comment

Originally posted by Reloaded211 View Post
            I don't install Catalyst using Pacman because removing it by necessity takes the whole KDE desktop along with it.
            By necessity?

Why not do something like
            Code:
            pacman -Rdd catalyst-3.0.0-rc3-mainline catalyst-utils
            pacman -S mesa libgl freeglut etc.

Comment

Originally posted by kostas213 View Post
              As I can see, this annoying bug is not resolved. When the mouse is moved at the low right screen, the system "hangs" for 1 second. And as I have read, this bug was fixed for Windows with a hotfix driver some days ago (11.5a I think).
              I don't see that bug. Also, that bug on Windows may be an entirely different issue, as that corner is by default a hotspot on Windows 7 to show the desktop. (Like all hotpots, it is best turned off; unlike the GNOME 3, though, you actually _can_ easily turn it off in Windows, but right-clicking on the show desktop button in the bottom right corner and unchecking Peek at Desktop.)

Comment

firepro v4800

I'd have a question or the experts here, thought to post on AMD site but this came in as a good opportunity.

I bought a Firepro v4800 and originaly ran Ubuntu 11.04 32 bit on it. Card worked fine. yesterday I reinstalled Gentoo with xord 1.10 (I think) and fglrx 11.5. Now Xorg -configure throws up an error about no devices detected. From the log, it actualy loads the module, finds the card but then stops.

I wonder if the stock catalyst supports firepro cards (since mine is effectively an HD5670). Or do I have to install catalyst pro to get the card working ?

Gentoo does not have ebuilds for catalyst pro (I'll have to modify the one for the consumer catalyst).

Comment

Originally posted by haplo602 View Post
                  I'd have a question or the experts here, thought to post on AMD site but this came in as a good opportunity.

I bought a Firepro v4800 and originaly ran Ubuntu 11.04 32 bit on it. Card worked fine. yesterday I reinstalled Gentoo with xord 1.10 (I think) and fglrx 11.5. Now Xorg -configure throws up an error about no devices detected. From the log, it actualy loads the module, finds the card but then stops.

I wonder if the stock catalyst supports firepro cards (since mine is effectively an HD5670). Or do I have to install catalyst pro to get the card working ?

Gentoo does not have ebuilds for catalyst pro (I'll have to modify the one for the consumer catalyst).
                  You should probably drop that one by the gentoo forums. Also, the actual error message would be useful (i.e the xorg log), along with double checking your xorg-server version, and posting kernel information, and also checking dmesg for anything.

-- edit: I also recommend using aticonfig to generate an xorg.conf
                  Last edited by mirv; 17 June 2011, 05:01 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by mirv View Post
                    You should probably drop that one by the gentoo forums. Also, the actual error message would be useful (i.e the xorg log), along with double checking your xorg-server version, and posting kernel information, and also checking dmesg for anything.

-- edit: I also recommend using aticonfig to generate an xorg.conf
                    My problem is, Xorg log does not tell much. Also aticonfig afaik only changes the existing xorg.conf which has to be created somehow. That's the point I have issues with. Xorg -configure should generate a default one which I can then feed to fglrx. But this step fails.

It can be that it's missing input devices, but the probing stops right after the GFX card.

I cannot find any support information in the relase notes of the desktop catalyst (there used to be a section about supported hardware in the past), so even if the desktop catalyst identifies the card, does it refuse to work with a FirePro or do I have another problem ? Very hard to say :-)

When I tried the radeon DRM/KMS modules in the kernel, it panicked and froze on device discovery. Also I don't think this is a gentoo specific problem. Most probably I have something wrong, just there's too little information on FirePro cards out there.

Comment

You could try customising by hand - if you've an older xorg.conf from somewhere, for example. Otherwise, see what it does with the sample conf (gentoo does put one in there).

Comment

Working...
                      X