No announcement yet.

Intel Iris Graphics 5100: Windows 8.1 vs. Ubuntu 14.04 Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice windows 8.1 vs "oh wait, it doesnt even run on linux, trololol" comparison But as someone said, the part of the problem is small linux dev team - intel graphics gets old and gets "end if support" before at least usable drivers are developed, it gets improved overall by a bit, so maybe after 20 years it will be where it should.
    Last edited by startzz; 13 March 2014, 06:02 PM.

Comment

For what it's worth, Unigine Heaven 4.0 and Valley 1.0 both work fine with this Mesa branch, which contains two patches to work around application bugs.
      Free Software Developer .:. Mesa and Xorg
      Opinions expressed in these forum posts are my own.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
        Gwenview and KolourPaint work just fine for me.
        thanks for suggestion, I'll try them.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
          lol? If using EL6 stable packages or even Ubuntu 12.04.4 LTS you'd be even worse off with Haswell/Iris Graphics performance / compatibility...
          I'd be very surprised if centos wasnt supporting these well. They maybe slower to backport the changes but they do get there if the system can be kept stable. The last bit is the main point. You shouldn't see the regressions like you are getting with the unigine tests.

Comment

@Michael:
            I'd love to see a good article comparing VA-API usage on the different Haswell GPU's (even if it's just a subjective opinion devoid of PTS benchmarks and Windows comparison). All of these articles on Intel HD graphics just have 3D/game benchmarks which don't paint a very clear picture for prospective buyers looking at HTPC-friendly hardware.

In addition to GT1, GT2,and GT3/e chips, it would be nice to have your NUC unit and an IvyBridge chip thrown in to the review.

Comment

Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post
              I have still problems on getting a valid corresponding of a simple program as paint which makes easy operations in easy way (as resizing on cutting picture), it's absurd.
              I recommend mtPaint.

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post
                @Michael:
                I'd love to see a good article comparing VA-API usage on the different Haswell GPU's (even if it's just a subjective opinion devoid of PTS benchmarks and Windows comparison). All of these articles on Intel HD graphics just have 3D/game benchmarks which don't paint a very clear picture for prospective buyers looking at HTPC-friendly hardware.

In addition to GT1, GT2,and GT3/e chips, it would be nice to have your NUC unit and an IvyBridge chip thrown in to the review.
                Tests will only be done if within PTS. It can be automated and have such test profiles already but only with poor quality video files.... Not enough good very high quality free videos that are http/FTP mirrored well, etc.
                Michael Larabel
                https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                  Tests will only be done if within PTS. It can be automated and have such test profiles already but only with poor quality video files.... Not enough good very high quality free videos that are http/FTP mirrored well, etc.
                  Wouldn't the Blender movie projects work? I know most of them are mirrored all over the place. I just checked Sintel and it has 3 mirrors off the main site for the 4k version.

Comment

Originally posted by zanny View Post
                    Wouldn't the Blender movie projects work? I know most of them are mirrored all over the place. I just checked Sintel and it has 3 mirrors off the main site for the 4k version.
                    I used to use big buck bunny but ran into a problem with it and it's mirrors. Trying to recall now.
                    Michael Larabel
                    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Michael, I think it will be useful to provide benchmark results, using Lubuntu, or Xubuntu with its compositor (special effects) disabled.

To disable the compositor in Xubuntu, you may go to Settings->Settings Manager->Window Manager Tweaks->Compositor->Enable display compositing.

From my experience, one gets the maximum framerate with LXDE and XFCE (with the compositor disabled), on Linux.

Compiz of Unity, etc, reduce performance.

Also, by uninstalling, or disabling buntu's apport (crash reporting tool), programs start faster, and probably run faster.

To disable apport:

sudo nano /etc/default/apport:

enabled=0

and then, reboot.

So, I think some benchmarks with Lubuntu, or Xubuntu (with the compositor disabled), would be interesting.
                      Last edited by johnp; 14 March 2014, 03:32 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X