Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steam Linux Update Supports SDL 2.0 Final ABI

Phoronix: Steam Linux Update Supports SDL 2.0 Final ABI

Valve released a Steam client update to their gaming customers today...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I should've suspected that Michael masturbates furiously while writing his articles.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
      Phoronix: Steam Linux Update Supports SDL 2.0 Final ABI

Valve released a Steam client update to their gaming customers today...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTMzMDQ
      Michael did you try to catch the knife while it was falling?

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
        Michael did you try to catch the knife while it was falling?
        No, cutting some Khachapuri/bread a bad way.... now looks like hand will be out of commission for typing for a while :/
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by LLStarks View Post
          I should've suspected that Michael masturbates furiously while writing his articles.
          Yeah, he's spanking it over how many link backs he can get for ad hits.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
            No, cutting some Khachapuri/bread a bad way.... now looks like hand will be out of commission for typing for a while :/
            I'm sorry to hear that. May your hand recover quickly!

Comment

Hope you feel better soon.

What is the consequence of this new SDL 2.0 for Steam? (I mean I understand SDL 2.0 has new features, but from a Steam POV what does it mean?)

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
                Hope you feel better soon.

What is the consequence of this new SDL 2.0 for Steam? (I mean I understand SDL 2.0 has new features, but from a Steam POV what does it mean?)
                I read elsewhere on phoronix that it no longer changes resolutions - if you ask for a game to run at a different resolution it renders it at that size and then scales up to match the desktop.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
                  I read elsewhere on phoronix that it no longer changes resolutions - if you ask for a game to run at a different resolution it renders it at that size and then scales up to match the desktop.
                  Well thats actually a pretty good idea. I have had nothing but problems with fullscreen games trying to change resolution. If the actual resolution doesnt change only the scaling factor, maybe some of these bugs can simply be avoided.

EDIT: And then theres the whole alt-tab dilemma??? What a headache... For the few games that actually support it, it usually doesnt reset the resolution properly... Yeah modesetting in linux is pretty much FUBARed at the moment. Especially the way it is handled by fullscreen games.
                  Last edited by duby229; 18 March 2013, 10:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
                    But that's not relevant to Steam, as it doesn't run fullscreen (aside from Big Picture, I guess?). The good thing about switching to 2.0 is that it will be possible to use this version even after distros stop packaging 1.2. Not sure why anyone would want to, but hey.

Comment

Working...
                    X