Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

is it posible to compile the half-life 2 source leak from 2003 on linux???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wasn't there also a Direct X port of Quake 1 before the source was released? As I recall, it was supposed to have been done by some intern at Microsoft who was a little bored or something...

Anyway, it's a BAD IDEA to do anything with pirated source code.

Comment

well i thougth that it would be awesome to see something like this into the linux world

but alas...i dont whant to put a bad name on me or the linux world -_-

Comment

Originally posted by gongo View Post
        Wasn't there also a Direct X port of Quake 1 before the source was released?
        Possibly, though after the OpenGL support addon I don't really see the necessity for one. (this was iirc done pretty early on)

Comment

Originally posted by Auroraa9420 View Post
          yes...nuff said...

like the title sais...is it posible because iv been wondering even with DirectX programing??
          As an observation, if you're in possession of said leak, you're not going to want to use it. It's NOT something you want to own up to having- not to mention the fact that there's good odds that it's not going to be quite the same game because they re-worked things as a result of the leak.

You COULD port it, yes. But you wouldn't want to.

Comment

Originally posted by Auroraa9420 View Post
            1.i have the source and some .bat with what i can download stuff..i can upload it if youd like it
            Uh, I wouldn't be wanting to own up to this, if it were me. You are making an unauthorized distribution of Valve's software if you provide that to ANYONE else. As of right now, I'm flagging this post.

3.2 reasons, one is pesure and 2cnd one is linux needs more games damn it :S (yes i know steam is going out for linux soon but i cant wait , better use whats on the field)
            Here's a hint. If it's about to be available from Valve, your doing this will see to it that it WON'T be. I am going to be ferociously blunt here. We don't need people doing what you're proposing. You're not doing ANYONE, yourself included, any favors by even talking about doing this.

4. i wouldn't distribute it, at least i would do the same what garrysmod.org did
            You just offered to distribute the code at the beginning of this post. Which is it?

Comment

If you really want to bring more games to Linux, I'd say your time is better spent porting something like Ya3dag: http://www.ya3dag.de/page_about.html

(or any other FLOSS Windows-only game)

Comment

Originally posted by whizse View Post
                The first Linux port of Quake was actually done by someone using an unauthorized copy of the source. So in a way, this would be sort of fitting, given that the Half-Life 1 engine was based on Quake
                Heh... It was done with an unauthorized release, but not an unauthorized copy. The original port was done by an iD employee, one Dave Taylor, using his access to the source code in question to produce the version in question, and released the first couple of releases without iD's permission. If it was the same thing, you'd not have had the patches pushed back into the source tree like they were with that situation.

Comment

Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
                  Heh... It was done with an unauthorized release, but not an unauthorized copy. The original port was done by an iD employee, one Dave Taylor, using his access to the source code in question to produce the version in question, and released the first couple of releases without iD's permission. If it was the same thing, you'd not have had the patches pushed back into the source tree like they were with that situation.
                  It was an iD employee? That makes the story a lot less interesting, but makes sense I guess.

Comment

hi there,well i don't so it possible because of directx 9 program....

Comment

Working...
                    X