KDE Developers Discuss Merging Libraries With Qt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by markg85 View Post
    ! Remember phonon? It was developed by KDE devs and adapted by Qt because it was simply good.
    Phonon is deprecated in QT.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
      Phonon is deprecated in QT.
      Is it deprecated? i didn't know that..

Anyway, they have indeed added a way cooler multimedia framework so it would make sense. Phonon is still good though.

Comment

Originally posted by markg85 View Post
        Is it deprecated? i didn't know that..

Anyway, they have indeed added a way cooler multimedia framework so it would make sense. Phonon is still good though.
        Yup phonon is replaced with Qt Multimedia and Qt Mobility.

Comment

It would be nice but only after Qt's licencing issues etc. are fixed. Qt has bright future in mobile world, but developement in desktop side is lacking (at least so have I heard). This would probably fix that and make it even more instresting and complete toolkit. In a long run this is probably the best for both sides.

However it really should happen in transission of KDE and Qt 5. Breaking backward compatibility twice in year or two doesn't sound good. Tt also should be done in next couple of years, planning something which might happen in next five years sounds stupid in a world where technology developes as fast as it does - or at least I think so.

Comment

Originally posted by Teho View Post
            Tt also should be done in next couple of years, planning something which might happen in next five years sounds stupid in a world where technology developes as fast as it does - or at least I think so.
            It's not stupid at all to plan that far ahead. Most larger projects give similar time lines when a radical change is desired. If they don't plan that far ahead you get a huge mess in development with some areas being relatively mature and stable while other areas are a complete mess.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
              It's not stupid at all to plan that far ahead. Most larger projects give similar time lines when a radical change is desired.
              Yes, I guess I put it in a wrong way. Of course one should plan before taking action, but waiting for too long can also be harmful in fast moving world. Truth is that I have no idea how long this kind of projects take but I doubt that neither planning nor coding take that long.

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post
                It is funny. When in another old thread i said that KDE is just a tech demo from Qt developers designed to showcase Qt's abilities, many people said that i do not know what i am talking about... That this is FUD. Well... explain this smart guys... For this discussion to even happen, it proves my point...

Sure, KDE is a community project. Sure, some people from all over the world contribute to it. But it's core team that drives it, is from Trolltech. Trolltech points, they follow. It is that simple.
                You got called on your bullshit back then and you'll get called again.

Trolltech funds exactly ONE KDE developer. That's it.

Comment

Originally posted by Teho View Post
                  It would be nice but only after Qt's licencing issues etc. are fixed.
                  Which issues would those be?

Comment

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
                    Which issues would those be?
                    Well that's the thing, I don't really know but I have heard that there's some promblems somewhere regarding licensing, copyright, "merge control" or something like that. However I don't have the knowledge myself, so I take as "uncertain truth". If there really isn't anything that's truly splendid.

But how should I understand something like this: "Albert also does not agree with the Qt licensing requirements."?

Comment

Qt can also be sold for proprietary software. KDE has to hand over copyright to Nokia so then Nokia can give it back as GPL'd code.

Comment

Working...
                      X