Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

FC6 & fglrx kernel module compatibility?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FC6 & fglrx kernel module compatibility?

Using the new driver v.8.33.6 (and older versions 8.31.5 and 8.32.5), I'm unable to build the fglrx kernel module compatible with FC6.

RPM's for FC6 seem to build successfully using:
    ./ati-driver-installer-8.33.6-x86.x86_64.run --buildpkg Fedora/FC6

Produces a set of RPM's which install without errors.

ATI driver works, graphics look good on a dual-headed DVI system, but the kernel module fails to load, with the error:
    Jan 23 13:14:44 kernel: fglrx: Unknown symbol flush_tlb_page

As a result, DRI isn't available:
    [drm] failed to load kernel module "fglrx"
    (WW) fglrx(0): Failed to open DRM connection
    (WW) fglrx(0): No DRM connection for driver fglrx.
    (EE) fglrx(0): GART is not initialized, disabling DRI
    (WW) fglrx(0): ***********************************************
    (WW) fglrx(0): * DRI initialization failed! *
    (WW) fglrx(0): * (maybe driver kernel module missing or bad) *
    (WW) fglrx(0): * 2D acceleraton available (MMIO) *
    (WW) fglrx(0): * no 3D acceleration available *
    (WW) fglrx(0): ********************************************* *
    [drm] failed to load kernel module "fglrx"

Kernel is 2.6.19-1.2895.fc6xen on x86_64. Adapter is ATI x1300.

I had the same problem with earlier kernel updates. Struggled with the problem using several different kernels. Even modified the fglrx sources to try and work around calls to flush_tlb_page. Managed to produce a module which loaded without error, but still couldn't get DRI to work.

Thought I'd take another shot with the new driver release from ATI, on the latest kernel update available for FC6. Thanks for any pointers.

-pat
    Last edited by pcharles; 24 January 2007, 03:54 PM.

Are you intentionally using the Xen kernel? Otherwise switch over to the normal x86_64 kernel, that should clear up your problems.
    Michael Larabel
    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
      Are you intentionally using the Xen kernel? Otherwise switch over to the normal x86_64 kernel, that should clear up your problems.
      Yes. That would be intentional.

With Red Hat and other distribution makers heavily marketing virtualization, and with hardware vendors like intel and amd building support for virtualization into their processors, I'd expect that xen kernels will soon be the norm rather than exception?

Thanks for the response. Any options for direct rendering on a xen kernel?

-pat

Comment

I would actually expect KVM to quickly overtake Xen. While Xen does now support full virtualization, with the inclusion of KVM in the Linux 2.6.20 it will quickly overtake Xen due to all of the KVM benefits. KVM built into the kernel or as a module works fine with fglrx.

You might want to see if ATRPMS.net has any packages for FC6 Xen. The way it stands right now, ATI believes that you can build for a Xen kernel by modifying the firegl_public. Basically, what is required to get it working can all be done through the source available in firegl_public.
        Michael Larabel

Comment

I clicked on the KVM link in your post, found an inexpensive KVM switch, and it isn't helping. Just kidding. :/

Doesn't look like KVM is currently available in any major distribution.

Information on kvm is relatively scarce. On wikipedia, there's only one technical reference to information. (a link to an article on... Phoronix!)

While KVM simplicity and performance sounds good, it looks like it is very far behind xen when it comes to mainstream adoption.

The two largest distributions, Red Hat and SuSE, seem heavily invested in xen. That doesn't preclude other virtualization technologies from co-existing, but it will take some time, probably several _commercial_ distribution release cycles, before that focus would change.

So, I don't see how kvm will overcome xen quickly.

I tried previously radeon drivers from livna or freshrpms and still wasn't able to get DRI working, course I was struggling with other things.. xinerama, disabling composite, aiglx, etc.

Before I go either of these routes again, is there any reason why direct rendering won't work on a dual-headed setup?

Any references to current firegl_public patches for xen? What I dug up on google was quite old, and seemed geared more towards addressing other problems, like the removal of linux/config.h.

Thanks again for the responses.
          -pat
          Last edited by pcharles; 24 January 2007, 06:29 PM.

Comment

Well KVM is being included again with the mainstream 2.6.20 kernel, and not many distributions use rc kernels for their release products. Fedora 7 Test 1 will include KVM, and Ubuntu will also in April. Once the Linux 2.6.20 kernel is out, most will likely build KVM as a module with it. Fedora will be implementing KVM with libvirt and virt-manager in Fedora 7.

I haven't written any fglrx patches for Xen, though google might be able to tell with some more research.

The fglrx drivers should work well with a dual head setup in Big Desktop mode.
            Michael Larabel

Comment

Working...
            X