No announcement yet.

Ubuntu Announces Mir, A X.Org/Wayland Replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I didn't miss anything in this thread? No one even single word about network transparent?

Comment

• Originally posted by Pallidus View Post
      as anyone EVER STOPPED to think that they probably got so frustrated at waylands development pace, AND JUST WANTED, nay, NEEDED, something and something FAST.
      They haven't made a single contribution to wayland code or mailing list. Maybe if they had, instead of spending resources in-house for nine month, the dev pace of Wayland would have actually been faster?

Comment

• Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
        Regardless, Mir is a reality so we have to deal with it now.
        The problem right now is how are we going to handler Mir on the desktop. Unless Canonical is BS-ing, they have mentioned that they are in the process of discussing with AMD and NVIDIA the likelihood of releasing binary drivers that are Mir-compatible, although they cleverly left out any information as to whether those drivers they are pushing for are also Wayland-capable. It's a good thing that the existing Mesa and Gallium drivers are workable on both Mir and Wayland, but the fact that Mir requires a custom Mesa stack is of a little concern.
        So does Wayland, by the way. Only their modifications have made it into mainline mesa.

Canonical simply have to mainline their extensions as well, they won't be able to keep pulling in updates from future mesa while maintaining their custom mesa extensions.

So it seems there is no difference in this regard.

Originally posted by erendorn View Post
        They haven't made a single contribution to wayland code or mailing list. Maybe if they had, instead of spending resources in-house for nine month, the dev pace of Wayland would have actually been faster?
        Canonical isn't interested in working on Wayland. They want their own code. They've stated this quite clearly in my opinion (from IRC logs, RAOF is Canonical's Christopher James Halse Rogers):

01:21 <RAOF> Time will, indeed, tell. The plan is to make Mir the most awesome display server platform to develop Unity in. If this happens to produce a display server that others find makes an awesome platform to develop GNOME shell, or KDE, or whatever, then that's an added bonus.
        Wayland neither is, nor will be, the most awesome platform to develop Unity in. That most awesome platform is controlled by Canonical.
        Last edited by runeks; 05 March 2013, 07:15 AM.

Comment

• Pulling a Metro

So they want a seamless look huh. Sounds like they are pulling a Metro/Modern on us, well no thanks to that. However, some of you seem to forget this is just the UI, you can still have the Ubuntu core with the all the compatibility with Steam/Software center etc with any number of Official *Buntus like Xubuntu, Kubuntu and Lubuntu. You don't have to like what they are doing to their main Distro.

I personally like simple things, one bar on the bottom with a Menu/Clock/System Tray and Quick Launch; you know, classic stuff. It stays out of my way and I have lots of screen space. I do use Xubuntu, but it's customized as I have described. I'm stuck in my ways and probably will never have it any other way lol. Best of luck to them though.

Comment

• Originally posted by rafirafi View Post
            I think they want to be compatible with surface flinger so they can use proprietary drivers without spending any resources, this is not possible with wayland.
            Uh? Wayland was "ported" (a proof of concept only) on Android http://ppaalanen.blogspot.fi/2012/07...lease.html?m=1

Comment

• Originally posted by Mike Frett View Post
              So they want a seamless look huh. Sounds like they are pulling a Metro/Modern on us, well no thanks to that. However, some of you seem to forget this is just the UI, you can still have the Ubuntu core with the all the compatibility with Steam/Software center etc with any number of Official *Buntus like Xubuntu, Kubuntu and Lubuntu. You don't have to like what they are doing to their main Distro.
              Except that when Ubuntu starts using Mir, will Valve port their Steam client to only support Mir?

Also, there's another angle to this, how this is likely to hinder the adoption of Wayland. Say, in the future, we'll have distros that use Wayland, and then Ubuntu using Mir (which is likely, as I don't see anyone else adopting it, no one else is using Unity either). So then Wayland programs won't run on Mir, Mir programs won't run on Wayland, but X programs will run on both. So from application developers' point of view, the choice is simple - to get their program running on as many platforms as possible, it's best for them to stick with X.

So all those who keep whining "who cares if it's mir or wayland, we just want to get rid of X now!!!!1111" you should know that this Canonical's move is probably only slowing down the deprecation of X.

Comment

• Kill it with fire, before it causes any more damage!

Creating yet another desktop shell is one thing, but fragmenting Linux's graphic stack...

I bet they won't make it. They had years to make Compiz work and they've failed. Now they want to make a display server? They are delusional.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pallidus View Post
                  learn to develop FAST like professionals

instead of whining and bitching
                  ... do you even see what you write?

Comment

• Originally posted by Mike Frett View Post

I personally like simple things, one bar on the bottom with a Menu/Clock/System Tray and Quick Launch; you know, classic stuff. It stays out of my way and I have lots of screen space. I do use Xubuntu, but it's customized as I have described. I'm stuck in my ways and probably will never have it any other way lol. Best of luck to them though.
                    This about more than just desktops. This is about every graphical function on LInux.

Originally posted by dee. View Post
                    Except that when Ubuntu starts using Mir, will Valve port their Steam client to only support Mir?

Also, there's another angle to this, how this is likely to hinder the adoption of Wayland. Say, in the future, we'll have distros that use Wayland, and then Ubuntu using Mir (which is likely, as I don't see anyone else adopting it, no one else is using Unity either). So then Wayland programs won't run on Mir, Mir programs won't run on Wayland, but X programs will run on both. So from application developers' point of view, the choice is simple - to get their program running on as many platforms as possible, it's best for them to stick with X.

So all those who keep whining "who cares if it's mir or wayland, we just want to get rid of X now!!!!1111" you should know that this Canonical's move is probably only slowing down the deprecation of X.
                    Exactly what I was saying, and something that seems validated by that IRC log between a Mir and Wayland devs that has been floating around.

Comment

• Vivia SailFish

I am more excited by Sailfish then anything Ubuntu does. Not sure what SailFish plans to use (maybe somebody can chime in as to what they are doing) for their display. It would be in Canonicals best interest to work with Sailfish and here are a few:

1) Meego based - ok Meego is almost a four letter word, but it got started and ended with thousands of people working on it. It was designed by a company who knew a few things about making phones Nokia (note I used past tense) .

2) I am sure Sailfish is building its own set of QML widgets (buttons, containers, etc), why invent yet another one. I don't think you want QML to be your highest common denominator as every app is going to look different and you have zero code reuse for creating buttons you need some kind of QML widget set and theme.

I think Ubuntu will be relegated to the sidelines,as I am not sure if carriers want or trust Canonical. Carriers are very very critical of what goes on their network. If Ubuntu desktop was a phone OS, it would not pass the first test of being acceptable for a Carrier. (RIM has been wating months to get their BB10 phones certified for US carriers and they know a thing or two about making phones) . Besides this, can Cannonical can deliever on the goods? I mean they are good at giving you icons and providng really ugly themes, but beneath that what have they delieved on. I recall two years ago they said they were going to create TV's. Anybody seen a TV running Ubuntu ?

Ubuntu phones are DOA

Comment

Working...
                      X