Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Qt 5.2 Final Release Is "Coming Really Soon"

Phoronix: Qt 5.2 Final Release Is "Coming Really Soon"

Digia has provided an update concerning the state of the Qt 5.2 final release, which could be out as soon as next week...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Also, Qt on android now officially falls under the KDE Free Qt Foundation agreement

In my first article that I wrote about Qt on Android I gave you a small introduction on how the port began and where is it now. I wrote about the fact that in November 2012 I contributed the port to Qt project, but I intentionally omitted one very important thing to tell you. Before […]

Comment

Originally posted by Honton View Post
      KDAB is lying. Qt can't be relicensed to BSD. It is only Qt Free Edition.
      Qt Free Edition is Qt licensed under LGPL 2.1 and GPL 3.

Your arguments have arrived at the point where Qt is not actually Qt. Well done.

This is a great victory for Free Software. Now our developers can develop GPL software for Android, and have a guarantee that the underlying toolkit will remain Free Software forever.

If you didn't hate everything that's not GNOME, you would rejoice.

Comment

So no second RC, that is good the hear. Delays are mostly due git code updating problems not code itself then.

ps. It should be wrote as Jani Heikkinen, first name before surname(Yeah digia's mailing system put those names in silly ordering).

Comment

History strikes back...

Read the rest of the answers, please...
          Furthermore: Do you think Linus Torvalds is fighting for software being free?

Comment

You really should read the agreement. It does NOT cover Qt only "Qt Free Edition". How can a relicense AWAY from GPL be a great victory for Free Software?
            Nothing has been relicensed away from GPL, stop making things up.

The power to additionally license Qt under any FSF-approved license (including BSD) simply ensures that closing of Qt cannot happen. It removes any and every financial incentive for Digia or any steward of Qt to close the toolking and stop releasing GPL and LGPL versions.

This guarantee is a win for Free Software. We get dozens of top-notch paid developers working on LGPL and GPL code full time, and we get them for free, with no risk of the tookit being closed. And now we get a guarantee that all this GPL code will also be released for Android, thus making GPL development on that platform easier than ever. Forever.

That's awesome.

Comment

Can you explain why you are unable to understand the Free Qt agreement. The agreement does NOT cover Qt, only the Qt Free Edition. KDE would only have the opportunity to relicense the Free Edition, never standard Qt. Please align with reality and understand this.
              You do realize that the Free Edition is what KDE uses anyways, right? So in that sense, from KDE's perspective QT Free == QT. Welcome to reality, try not to get too scared.

Comment

Can you explain why you are unable to understand the Free Qt agreement. The agreement does NOT cover Qt, only the Qt Free Edition. KDE would only have the opportunity to relicense the Free Edition, never standard Qt. Please align with reality and understand this.
                Nothing HAS BEEN RELICENSED from GPL.

Has been = present perfect tense. No such thing has happened. My post was 100% correct.

Qt Free Edition is basically equivalent to the closed version in terms of code. The KDE-Qt agreement ensures that this stays the case.

Comment

KDE users being confused about Qt vs QT Free Edition is a reality, yes. But what do anyone gain from all the lying? The reality is KDE have NO power over Qt. RTFA(greement).
                  KDE users understand the situation perfectly.

Digia has to keep releasing Qt under GPL and LGPL regularly. If they don't, KDE holds the nuclear destruction button that will nuke their company destroy all of their business forever, destroying commercial Qt forever.

The only reason Digia has any business is that Qt is not under BSD, but triple-licensed.

Sounds like a good deal to me.

Comment

Let me ask you a very simple question. When in effect, does the agreement let KDE relicense the commercial Qt version or the LGPL/GPL Qt version?
                    The two are equivalent, except the license.

They are not two different projects with different functionality. It's a single product under three licenses: LGPL, GPL, and a commercial one you have to purchase.

Comment

Working...
                    X