No announcement yet.

Ubuntu Announces Mir, A X.Org/Wayland Replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Am I the only one amused by the fact that there's not a single trace of Canonical on the wayland mailing list? =P
    One would assume that they'd at least try to inquire about their perceived shortcomings of the protocol to the devs..

Comment

Why canonical

WHY DID YOU HAVE TO ANNOUNCE YOUR OWN ?NIH?-SYNDROME DISPLAY SERVER

WHY NOT USE WAYLAND AND STOP FRAGMENTING THE GNU/LINUX WORLD EVEN FURTHER

WHY

WHY

WHY

WHY

WHY

WHY

WHY

Comment

Originally posted by Nuc!eoN View Post
        This is a shame.... can't believe it...no words I'm already curious on H?gsberg's reaction
        Note:  This blog post outlines upcoming changes to Google Currents for Workspace users. For information on the previous deprecation of Googl...

Comment

Uh oh.

This isn't just a problem for them, but for anyone who wants to use Wayland instead. Since Ubuntu is the premiere Linux distro and has this compelling convergence story, along with support from Valve and an increasing amount of game developers, everyone will be under pressure to support Ubuntu's way first if it has any sort of incompatibility with other distros. Ubuntu's doing its best to become OS X, it seems- having its own software stack that others won't be able to take advantage of without sacrificing our existing standards. Of course, they're doing their best to be backwards-compatible, but they need to keep things cross-compatible for this to make sense. From a technical perspective, this makes it hard to imagine using any DE other than Unity on Mir until those developers decide to port- but GNOME and KDE are already focused on Wayland.

Canonical might just ruin everything. I really hope this somehow works out for everyone, but so much could go wrong- why even risk it?

Comment

Originally posted by Kristian H?gsberg
            This all sounds so familiar...
            LOL exactly my thoughts. I thought I was actually reading the Wayland spec page instead of Mir.

Comment

Originally posted by daniels View Post
              If you ask me, it was going to happen anyway. Canonical don't have any interest in co-operating with the wider open source community;
              it's in their interest to keep everything as closed and Ubuntu-specific as possible. Just look at them and GNOME. *shrug*
              I couldn't agree more.

Thanks for pointing me to this!

Comment

Sure as hell they forked surfaceflinger and skia.

Comment

[s]Why would they do this, especially since the Linux community is totally giving all their effort, time and resources into making Wayland a top notch Xorg replacement[/s]

I'd say that Canonical is making a good choice on this one.
                  The native support for Qt and GTK+ toolkits would make this appealing to other Linux distributions who want to migrate away from X but sill find Wayland to be incomplete, not to mention that if this is a fork of SurfaceFlinger which is being suggested, then the support for touchscreens may be better than what Wayland can accomplish in the same time.

As for what some have been suggesting as to Canonical not releasing the source code to this project, it would be a bad choice for them to do something like that.
                  After all, they didn't close off Upstart.

Comment

I have been hearing about wayland for 2 years now

............ ?

Comment

I hope they receive some real backlash for their exploitation of the FOSS community. Canonical is only involved with FOSS for free labor, nothing more...

I think some projects should seriously consider refusing to add support for anything Canonical requires and force them to maintain forks on every piece of software / library that they want to use on the 'Ubuntu platform'. Don't add support for Mir, Unity Next or any of that crap, in fact - do the opposite - make your software incompatible with Ubuntu-specific stuff, beyond repair (without a ton of work on their part).

..or people could start writing malicious code that only affects ubuntu-specific stuff. Since Canonical is consciously doing harm to FOSS anyway.

Comment

Working...
                      X