Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dell Puts Out Updated Ubuntu Linux Laptop

Phoronix: Dell Puts Out Updated Ubuntu Linux Laptop

Dell has released an updated XPS 13 laptop that now has an 1920 x 1080 FHD display while shipping Ubuntu 12.04 LTS...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Isn't that kind of really expensive?

Comment

Interesting, although right now Haswell is more interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by chris200x9 View Post
        Haswell is gonna rip Ivy Bridge to shreds (is my guess) Also for that price...I'd seriously get a Macbook Air first.

^And say that FROM an original-release Dell XPS 13z currently running Arch.
        All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Very. The only interesting thing is the 13" 1920x1080 screen.

Personally I'd ather have something based around the AMD A10-4600M / HD7660G w/ 8Gb of DDR3 1866 and an open mPCIe card slot for a Broadcom BCM70015 CrystalHD.

Comment

Haswell will bring a whole new generation of machines. Now is NOT the time to buy a new computer.

Comment

Considering the build quality and the features (the screen, the ram, the i7 cpu and the SSD), and the fact that it is preinstalled with ubuntu and available in the US market, then no IMO this isn't too expensive. It's also cheaper than the windows version, so it's not like they are trying to rip off linux enthusiasts. I'm also impressed that the front page for that product actually looks like they cared about it, rather than being thrown together and full of errors like they used to be for their ubuntu offerings in previous years.

That being said this, like all ultrabooks, are not for everyone. So to each their own. Also, I'm waiting on haswell. So assuming they don't simply cancel this with their privatization plans, I'll be getting this with haswell.

Comment

Seconded. Now is NOT the time to buy a laptop, wait for Haswell. It'll have an idle wattage better than an ARM chip and really good integrated graphics, *particularly* if you're willing to wait another 6 months for GT3. I'm building an Ivy Bridge desktop though, because I'm going to be using a GeForce 600 or 700 series card, at which point the integrated graphics isn't being used, and the idle power is already shot. What's left is *maybe* a tiny performance bump on the cpu, which isn't worth paying an extra $100 for.

Comment

Originally posted by ethana2 View Post
                  Seconded. Now is NOT the time to buy a laptop, wait for Haswell. It'll have an idle wattage better than an ARM chip and really good integrated graphics, *particularly* if you're willing to wait another 6 months for GT3.
                  Exactly why I'm waiting on Haswell.

Comment

That's a little more than I am willing to pay for a laptop that doesn't have a trackpoint or an ethernet port.

Seriously, I am getting tired of Thinkpad, you would think that after 10+ years that someone else might get a clue and try to also make a good laptop that isn't a ripoff, espcially now that Lenovo is has risen to number one??!

Comment

Working...
                    X