Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Open-Source Freedreno Graphics Driver Is Now Faster

Phoronix: Open-Source Freedreno Graphics Driver Is Now Faster

The open-source Freedreno graphics driver for providing reverse-engineered Qualcomm Adreno GPU support is now faster for handling OpenGL ES games...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I thought freedreno only did GLES? Does it now also do normal GL?

The chips ought to be able to do GL 2.1, as they advertise DX 9.3.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
      open source driver project for adreno GPUs. Contribute to freedreno/freedreno development by creating an account on GitHub.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post

The chips ought to be able to do GL 2.1, as they advertise DX 9.3.
        actually, all those games are actually GL games, not GLES as Michael reported.. I just 'sudo yum install'd a bunch of games which I found packaged in fedora archives to avoid having to compile everything myself, and everything in the archives appears to be built for GL (even if it may support GLES) ;-)

At least for a2xx, I cannot support some TGSI integer operations (iirc, it was AND and OR type bitwise stuff) which was preventing advertising for GL2.x contexts, since a2xx does not support integer. The a3xx should support this (but not implemented yet). I've not done a detailed inventory of required formats, etc, so it is possible that some GL apps request things that the hw can't do.. or if the hw can do, the blob GLES1/2/3 driver cannot (which can make it difficult to figure out ;-)).

Comment

A little question here: Is Adreno responsible for video decoding acceleration, or is it a feature provided by a different Snapdragon part? If it's Adreno, then when will freedreno support this, if ever?
          I'm thinking about getting either this or waiting for some small board with Atom Silvermont, because i'd like to utilize video acceleration.
          Last edited by kaszak; 15 September 2013, 09:26 AM.

Comment

Fun fact, Adreno is Radeon with the letters rearranged.

Comment

Originally posted by Dukenukemx View Post
              Fun fact, Adreno is Radeon with the letters rearranged.
              The word you're looking for is "anagram". This is most likely rooted in Adreno's roots at AMD.

Comment

I have an HTC incredible that I'm still using, but I can't run a modern OS on it because the proprietary driver is not supported for any. Should this, in theory, allow Android 4.x to run on the device with a fully compatible API?

Comment

Originally posted by ethana2 View Post
                  I have an HTC incredible that I'm still using, but I can't run a modern OS on it because the proprietary driver is not supported for any. Should this, in theory, allow Android 4.x to run on the device with a fully compatible API?
                  While I think it's technically possible. Porting the code to Android seems both counter intuitive and very involving to me.

If you want a newer Android on your device, I think your best shot is to try compiling CyanogenMod or AOSP for it. It's the shortest route and have been done before. You can try contacting one of the HTC Desire's (similar to your QSD8650 HTC Incredible) modders that does unofficial releases (since CyanogenMod gave up on supporting the first gen Qualcomms) for details and help.
                  This guy, vijendrahs is looking active enough. But I'm sure there are others as well.

I suppose you could always send Mr. Clark your phone with a note attached saying "Hack me!" and hope for the best

Comment

Originally posted by kaszak View Post
                    A little question here: Is Adreno responsible for video decoding acceleration, or is it a feature provided by a different Snapdragon part? If it's Adreno, then when will freedreno support this, if ever?
                    I'm thinking about getting either this or waiting for some small board with Atom Silvermont, because i'd like to utilize video acceleration.
                    the video decode/encode is separate on snapdragon.. but other than the firmware blob, the kernel and userspace parts are open. The userspace part exposes an OMX interface. It just needs someone with some time to figure out what to do for linux (ie. can we wrap it in vdpau or something like that? Or gstreamer plugins? or?)

Comment

Working...
                    X