Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canonical Posts New Unity 8 Mir Compositor Demo Video

Phoronix: Canonical Posts New Unity 8 Mir Compositor Demo Video

Canonical developer Daniel d'Andrada has posted a new video showing off Unity 8 as a Mir compositor...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Nice! I want one.

Comment

There are also notes which mention that normally unfocused apps are suspended but for the demo they were disabled.

Notes:
      - I later noticed that I had quite a bit of output going to the terminals, and that takes its toll on the FPS
      - In production code we suspend unfocused applications. But for demo purposes I've disabled that in order to emphasize that the animations are dealing with the actual live mir surfaces and not with screenshots of them.

Comment

Impressive. It makes me actually consider getting a tablet and installing Ubuntu.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
          Phoronix: Canonical Posts New Unity 8 Mir Compositor Demo Video

Canonical developer Daniel d'Andrada has posted a new video showing off Unity 8 as a Mir compositor...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTYzODI
          I really liked the app switching gesture.
          The performance wasn't great, however. That ball had weird judder at the top of its arc.
          Is live to see the same thing done with efl since that's designed to run with very constrained resources.

Comment

this remember me 3d compositor

this remember me 3d compositor in wolf 3d style
            3D compositor written using the QtCompositor API (http://qt.gitorious.org/qt/qtwayland), capable of mapping input to and compositing the rendered output from...

Comment

They should consider publishing something more interesting ...

This demo is fun, but it does not provide any "Whaou" jaw-dropping view of Unity, this is jsut a short note saying "we are progressing".

1 - what is brought different besides Wayland?
              2 - what is the user experience differenciator?

For now we only have a buggy unity 7 which renders linux as unstable as windows used to be,
              since they are not able to correct this (for instance off-side of the cursor when trying to select a window, unity crashes a lot when using openoffice/libreoffice, ...).
              I wonder how they will be able to handle it properly in Unity 8...

Comment

Originally posted by Dr_ST View Post
                For now we only have a buggy unity 7 which renders linux as unstable as windows used to be
                Speak for your self. I have been using unity since 11.10 and it works quite nicely.

Comment

Originally posted by zoomblab View Post
                  Speak for your self. I have been using unity since 11.10 and it works quite nicely.
                  This is what I did, however I'm also teaching at the university, using a lot of different combination of computers, graphic card vendors (AMD / Intel, NVIDIA, ...) and using proprietary drivers or free ones.

On each of them:
                  - if you want to select a window, for instance to resize it, then if is a pain to be precise enough to have the mouse cursor at the correct position. The mouse is often offset by some pixels
                  - if you use regularly libreoffice for working, to produce reports, create presentations, then I see a lot of time unity crashing, this is very freaking, especially when time constraints render this crashes unfortunate
                  - if you start to use a window and move it a little bit, then at some point it will get maximized or will cross the border to the other desktop, and you start to demand where the main window is
                  - not telling that the update manager does not show on top when you click on it ...

I know that for some parameters this could be "tweaked", but they are annoying on a daily basis.

Note that I'm using Ubuntu on a daily basis, about 14 hours a day, this is my main operating system at work and at home...

If you do not encounter these issues, it is probably because:
                  1 - you got used using each window in full screen mode, ? la windows
                  2 - you are turning off you computer regularly, so unity is refreshed
                  3 - you do not use libreoffice for real productivity work

Please do not take this as an offense, this is only my conclusions after discussing these issues with some of the sysadmins here, they also state they do not have as much problem as me, but they do (1) and (3), and also have switched to "Mate" ...

If I find time for this, I will blog on this topic more seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr_ST View Post
                    This is what I did, however I'm also teaching at the university, using a lot of different combination of computers, graphic card vendors (AMD / Intel, NVIDIA, ...) and using proprietary drivers or free ones.

On each of them:
                    - if you want to select a window, for instance to resize it, then if is a pain to be precise enough to have the mouse cursor at the correct position. The mouse is often offset by some pixels
                    - if you use regularly libreoffice for working, to produce reports, create presentations, then I see a lot of time unity crashing, this is very freaking, especially when time constraints render this crashes unfortunate
                    - if you start to use a window and move it a little bit, then at some point it will get maximized or will cross the border to the other desktop, and you start to demand where the main window is
                    - not telling that the update manager does not show on top when you click on it ...

I know that for some parameters this could be "tweaked", but they are annoying on a daily basis.

Note that I'm using Ubuntu on a daily basis, about 14 hours a day, this is my main operating system at work and at home...

If you do not encounter these issues, it is probably because:
                    1 - you got used using each window in full screen mode, ? la windows
                    2 - you are turning off you computer regularly, so unity is refreshed
                    3 - you do not use libreoffice for real productivity work

Please do not take this as an offense, this is only my conclusions after discussing these issues with some of the sysadmins here, they also state they do not have as much problem as me, but they do (1) and (3), and also have switched to "Mate" ...

If I find time for this, I will blog on this topic more seriously.
                    Do not confuse your experience with universal facts. I'm using Libreoffice everyday and I haven't had a crash for years. Also that's hardly Ubuntu's fault, have problems with Libreoffice - switch to something else.

As for Windows etc. Unity has its problems, if you find any fault with it, why use it? If you want to use Ubuntu, there is Kubuntu, Xubuntu, Lubuntu, Unbuntu Gnome to choose from, you are not tied to Unity. And can add other DE and switch between them at will.

Comment

Working...
                    X