Running Benchmarks On Other New Linux Games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kivada View Post
    Wrong again, even the smallest local blogs and free news papers do their own reporting instead of just copy and pasting from a mailing list.

I have pointed out several times things that should be happening, like whens the last time we had an in depth interview with a dev or project head for any project, be it a closed source audio editor or an open source CAD program?

Most of you think I may be a troll, I'm not, I just want a site that isn't an insult to the OSS and Linux community which Phoronix is and it is entirely due to Michael Larabel.

We deserve better then this.
    If you think there's a market opportunity you're welcome to start your own website and make the bucks.

But I suspect the reality is that there is no market opportunity.

IOW, this is practically volunteer work that Michael is doing on our behalf.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
      Nobody cares what card runs OpenArena fastest, or how fast.

Lots of people care how fast different cards run Serious Sam 3, or Metro LL.

The truth is that Michael's articles aren't showing what people want. But we're still showing up to his site anyway, and generating ad revenue. So he can keep on posting whatever he wants as long as he's making a living off the site.
      So do what I did and refuse to give him revenue until he improves the site.

Comment

So do what I did and refuse to give him revenue until he improves the site.
        It's not possible to improve given the current market conditions, e.g. see the collapse of H-Online that provided interviews and other in-depth articles but even with the corporate backing of Heise they found Linux advertising for this segment to not be feasible.
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
          If you think there's a market opportunity you're welcome to start your own website and make the bucks.

But I suspect the reality is that there is no market opportunity.

IOW, this is practically volunteer work that Michael is doing on our behalf.
          There is a huge hole in the market, but my current job pays more then any site could. But I already give back to the community by actually bringing new people to Linux by refurbing old comps and giving them away for free. If the machine is 64 bit and has a GPU that has solid OSS drivers then it's worth the time.

Comment

There is a huge hole in the market, but my current job pays more then any site could. But I already give back to the community by actually bringing new people to Linux by refurbing old comps and giving them away for free. If the machine is 64 bit and has a GPU that has solid OSS drivers then it's worth the time.
            What you're really saying is that the time and effort necessary to make what you expect Phoronix should be wouldn't be a worthwhile investment.

These ads generate like $0.000000000001 per view. And there just aren't that many people interested in Linux.

Comment

Honestly, i can understand some of the issues he brings up

But it seems to me like there can be a compromise here.

He could try running games like SS3 just once or twice. Maybe have 1 article a month where he shows some non-standard benchmarks.

I'd also be interested in seeing how something like Trine2 or other humble bundle games perform. Are the intel drivers fast enough? Do the radeon drivers support it without crashing?

I realize those types of articles take more time, but it seems like 1 a month should be attainable. Seems like it would be a good reward for his more loyal readers who want those kinds of articles, while still allowing him to stay afloat financially and timewise.

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
                What you're really saying is that the time and effort necessary to make what you expect Phoronix should be wouldn't be a worthwhile investment.

These ads generate like $0.000000000001 per view. And there just aren't that many people interested in Linux.
                Not at all what I'm saying, theres a thousand other English language sites doing the same thing for Mac and Windows, they are just doing it far better then Larabel does so for Linux.

I've never once heard Barefeats, HardOCP, HardwareSecrets, SilentPCReview, JonnyGuru, AnandTech, PCPer, HardwareCanucks or the rest whine about lack of time or funds when they purchase hardware or specialized testing equipment for more accurate results because they didn't spend years making a fool of themselves.

Comment

I've never once heard Barefeats, HardOCP, HardwareSecrets, SilentPCReview, JonnyGuru, AnandTech, PCPer, HardwareCanucks or the rest whine about lack of time or funds when they purchase hardware or specialized testing equipment for more accurate results because they didn't spend years making a fool of themselves.
                  Again, OS X and Windows advertisements are much more lucrative than Linux. That's the BIG difference. There's no shortage of enthusiast-oriented hardware companies looking to advertise on Windows/OSX sites since that's where the majority of consumers are where as such companies aren't interested yet in advertising directly on Linux sites except for server/workstation companies on enterprise-focused content; the only worthwhile ads here are the full-screen / large ads, etc due to their nature.
                  Michael Larabel

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
                    But it seems to me like there can be a compromise here.

He could try running games like SS3 just once or twice. Maybe have 1 article a month where he shows some non-standard benchmarks.

I'd also be interested in seeing how something like Trine2 or other humble bundle games perform. Are the intel drivers fast enough? Do the radeon drivers support it without crashing?

I realize those types of articles take more time, but it seems like 1 a month should be attainable. Seems like it would be a good reward for his more loyal readers who want those kinds of articles, while still allowing him to stay afloat financially and timewise.
                    If there's PTS test profiles I'll happily run them often.
                    Michael Larabel

Comment

OTOH, I think I'd trust Michael's benchmarks over some of those other guys out there, especially ones who don't really understand how to bench hardware. There are also reviewers out there who are so biased that you can't even get through an article without vomiting. (But at least they're up front and admit they're fanboys of certain companies and practically doling out pure ad copy as "featured articles".)

E.g., AnandTech on both counts.

Comment

Working...
                      X