Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will UT3 For Linux Be Released This Year?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by deanjo View Post
    Anybody else waiting for an April 1st announcement? Given Tim Sweeney's scathing review of PC gaming in general, it seems like game development is now a "consoles first, PC's if we get around to it" to the Epic team.

http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/36390/118/
    Heh... Wouldn't surprise me.

Comment

• That was a really depressing read

It sounds like Epic are really giving up on PCs...

Comment

• Think about it this way... One of the biggest complaint about Linux (compared to Windows) is the lack of games.
        As the market switches to consoles only, the home market playing field is being leveled.

Far better, Linux is a better candidate for PS3/WII emulation...

- Gilboa
        oVirt-HV1: Intel S2600C0, 2xE5-2658V2, 128GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX1080 (to-VM), Dell U3219Q, U2415, U2412M.
        oVirt-HV2: Intel S2400GP2, 2xE5-2448L, 120GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX730 (to-VM).
        oVirt-HV3: Gigabyte B85M-HD3, E3-1245V3, 32GB, 4x1TB, 2x480GB SSD, GTX980 (to-VM).
        Devel-2: Asus H110M-K, i5-6500, 16GB, 3x1TB + 128GB-SSD, F33.

Comment

• More depressing articles on Epics future plans with the Unreal 4 engine.

In what will be a blow to PC gamers, Tim Sweeney has revealed that Unreal Engine 4.0 will exclusively target the next generation of consoles.

Comment

• Oh dear what is going on Epic?

It truly is a depressing Epic-related time.

Comment

• Epic is abandoning the slowly sinking ship that is PC Gaming and they are reprioritizing their company which includes canceling the Linux UT3 client. That is what I gather from all of their recent actions.

Might as well scratch UT3 off your Linux gaming list.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kevin View Post
                Epic is abandoning the slowly sinking ship that is PC Gaming and they are reprioritizing their company which includes canceling the Linux UT3 client. That is what I gather from all of their recent actions.

Well, that would sound like a kind of dumb thing to do. Wasn't the Linux client almost done already? Why would they scratch it off their list just now? There must be something else going on.

Comment

• Originally posted by deanjo View Post
                  More depressing articles on Epics future plans with the Unreal 4 engine.

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2008/03...get_consoles/1
                  The only advantage a console has over a PC is the constrained system setup. Compared to a PC or a Mac, they're actually rather weak- even now.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kevin View Post
                    Epic is abandoning the slowly sinking ship that is PC Gaming and they are reprioritizing their company which includes canceling the Linux UT3 client. That is what I gather from all of their recent actions.

Have you read the thread? or just the tail end? Going by what Ryan has said anyways, its seems ready to go, other than the legal issues.

Comment

• Originally posted by para_para_fiend View Post
                      Have you read the thread? or just the tail end? Going by what Ryan has said anyways, its seems ready to go, other than the legal issues.
                      Seems like they come out of the woodwork more and more lately. Almost like we're being grass-rooted by someone.

Fact of the matter is, Croteam's not finished the next gen of the Serious Engine (so no SS2 for Linux yet...) and there's been only legal snag that's supposed to be settled shortly in the case of UT3 (Ryan DID indicate that something had to be reworked and it'd be a little bit...). And then there was the batch of newbies that were never heard from again when the hit-piece from that German "news source" put up inaccurately claiming that Id "might not" be continuing to support Linux.

I'm not entirely sure what to make of all of it. Is it just disgruntled Linux users finally voicing an opinion, or is there something else at work here?

Comment

Working...
                      X