Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ati radeon x1200 rotation problem with CentOS

Hai!

I am using centos release 5.3 operating system.
    Video card is ATI radeon RS690M X1200 model.

I tried to install latest ati driver. But I can only succeeded in installing and running 8.10, the later versions like 9.2 etc were not working.
    With ati driver 8.10, I can find fglrx kernel module in lsmod and everything else working fine except rotation. Xrandr command shows that only rotation possible is normal. I can not find any option to rotate in ATI catalyst control center.

Please anybody suggest me how to make rotation work incase of centos + ati radeon x1200.

I think Catalyst 9.3 is the recommended driver for that combination of hardware and OS. Make sure you fully uninstall your current driver version before installing 9.3.
    Test signature

Comment

hai bridgman!

Thanks for the quick reply. I installed Catalyst 9.3. When I login, graphics are not clear. A white box is coming instead of mouse pointer, and a box with vertical lines is coming at right-bottom corner. Nothing is visible and there is no way to come out. pressing ctrl+alt+backspace or ctrl+f1 or ctrl+f2 turns screen in to a unresponsive balck screen.
      I checked xorg log file, it seems to be ok. I did not find any errors or serious warnings.

Comment

Originally posted by praveen View Post
        hai bridgman!

Thanks for the quick reply. I installed Catalyst 9.3. When I login, graphics are not clear. A white box is coming instead of mouse pointer, and a box with vertical lines is coming at right-bottom corner. Nothing is visible and there is no way to come out. pressing ctrl+alt+backspace or ctrl+f1 or ctrl+f2 turns screen in to a unresponsive balck screen.
        I checked xorg log file, it seems to be ok. I did not find any errors or serious warnings.
        How did you uninstall 8.10? There could be some left-over config file playing tricks. You might want to check if rebuilding amdpcsdb (under /etc/ati/) by deleting it w/o X.org running helps.
        Did you run (as root)
        Code:
        aticonfig --initial -f
        after installation (and then rebooted)?
        In case you haven't had a look, there might be some useful information for you on the unofficial wiki page for fglrx on CentOS 5.x. Note that your card isn't supported by fglrx from 9.4 and up, though I guess you're already aware of this

Comment

Hai PsynoKhi0!

I installed catalyst 9.3 on 'fresh' CentOS 5.3 machine, to avoid left over config files of previous catlyst. I also rebuild amdpcsdb as you said. But still same problem, white squares.
          Yes, I run aticonfig as root.
          Open source dirver r500 that comes with centos 5.3 is working fine except rotation. I need rotation thats why I wanted to switch to ati catalyst. Catalyst 8.10 also working fine except rotation.

Comment

Could you please paste your xorg.conf or link to a pastebin output?

Comment

Here is my xorg.conf file.

################################################## ################

Section "ServerLayout"
              Identifier "Default Layout"
              Screen 0 "aticonfig-Screen[0]-0" 0 0
              InputDevice "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
              EndSection

Section "Files"
              EndSection

Section "Module"
              EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
              Identifier "Keyboard0"
              Driver "kbd"
              Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
              Option "XkbLayout" "us"
              EndSection

Section "Monitor"
              Identifier "aticonfig-Monitor[0]-0"
              Option "VendorName" "ATI Proprietary Driver"
              Option "ModelName" "Generic Autodetecting Monitor"
              Option "DPMS" "true"
              EndSection

Section "Device"
              Identifier "Videocard0"
              Driver "r500"
              EndSection

Section "Device"
              Identifier "aticonfig-Device[0]-0"
              Driver "fglrx"
              BusID "PCI:1:5:0"
              EndSection

Section "Screen"
              Identifier "Screen0"
              Device "Videocard0"
              DefaultDepth 24
              SubSection "Display"
              Viewport 0 0
              Depth 24
              EndSubSection
              EndSection

Section "Screen"
              Identifier "aticonfig-Screen[0]-0"
              Device "aticonfig-Device[0]-0"
              Monitor "aticonfig-Monitor[0]-0"
              DefaultDepth 24
              SubSection "Display"
              Viewport 0 0
              Depth 24
              EndSubSection
              EndSection

################################################## #############

I tried following options also.
              In device section,
              Option "VideoOverlay" "on"
              Option "OpenGLOverlay" "off"
              Option "TextureVideo" "on"

In monitor section commented dpms option,
              #Option "DPMS" "true"

None of them worked.

Comment

Wondering if you're not missing a required package, since your issue sounds similar to the "Important Note as of 5/18/2009" section on the unofficial wiki...
                "Automatic" installation of the ATI Catalyst 9.4 driver seems to run smoothly, fglrxinfo detects and reports the graphics hardware, and aticonfig --initial reports that it saved a backup of xorg.conf. However, restart X11 (or reboot the PC) and what you get is an incomprehensible screen full of big squares peppered with little dots. Alt-R will reboot the PC and allow use of CD 1 to reboot linux in rescue mode, after which the driver's uninstall script works nicely. So no permanent harm seems to be done.

Comment

hai!

Yes the problem is similar. Older catalyst version 8.8 solved his problem. In my case also 8.10 catalyst working fine except "Rotation".

I am attaching xorg log when 9.3 catalyst is running. Click the link,
                  Pastebin.com is the number one paste tool since 2002. Pastebin is a website where you can store text online for a set period of time.

Have a look to find anything missing.

Comment

Here is the screenshot of gnome screen after login ( centos + 9.3 catalyst)

Comment

Working...
                    X