Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Radeon HD 8670D: Gallium3D vs. Catalyst

Phoronix: AMD Radeon HD 8670D: Gallium3D vs. Catalyst

This morning there were the RadeonSI Gallium3D vs. AMD Catalyst Linux benchmarks for the high-end Radeon HD 7850/7950 "Southern Islands" graphics cards. While the new Southern Islands GPUs understandingly have a long way to catch up on their new open-source Linux Gallium3D driver compared to Catalyst, how is the AMD Radeon HD 8670D "Richland" APU performance between the open and closed-source drivers? Here are some benchmarks.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Doesn't make sense to do benchmarking of these cards while their most apparent and prominent performance bottleneck is being alleviated in a version that is +1 of the current one.

Will be nice to compare differences though...

Comment

well having in mind with kernel 3.10 APU can't reclock easily, it should improve by a lot with 3.11, i expect michael to try it once RC1 is out in the open

Comment

Still no benchmarks with Source games like Left 4 Dead 2?

Comment

I will not even open page: without DPM it's completely useless. Also please benchmark an R600g (pre-radeonsi) APU too.

Edit: Left 4 Dead 2 please.
          ## VGA ##
          AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
          Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

A10 6800k with the 8670 HD is an r600 APU (it's VLIW4)
            Last edited by ObiWan; 05 July 2013, 05:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ObiWan View Post
              A10 6800k with the 8670 HD is an r600 APU (it's VLIW4)
              Indeed. And like all AMD APUs, it defaults to a low power state upon boot.

So either you use a kernel with dynamic power management, or you manually set high profile, otherwise it's not a meaningful test. I'm assuming that the power state was left in a "default" state here.

It's a lot like comparing a car with automatic transmission to a car with manual, but refusing to shift out of the first gear, because this is "the default" that new users will see. :P

Comment

Originally posted by Rexilion View Post
                Doesn't make sense to do benchmarking of these cards while their most apparent and prominent performance bottleneck is being alleviated in a version that is +1 of the current one.

Will be nice to compare differences though...
                Especially considering he's also using ram that is HALF of the rated stock speed for these chips. What little meaningless data he does get using the old kernel is further thrown off by having the GPU be constantly starved for data from memory.

Phoronix should be renamed UselessReviews.com

Comment

1066 Mhz is DDR3 2133,

DDR3 1066 would be 533 Mhz

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
                    I will not even open page: without DPM it's completely useless. Also please benchmark an R600g (pre-radeonsi) APU too.

Edit: Left 4 Dead 2 please.
                    Originally posted by ChemicalBrother View Post
                    Still no benchmarks with Source games like Left 4 Dead 2?
                    It's not like Valve doesn't make a dedicated benchmarking tool... I've got it installed here, and it most definitely is a native Linux program.

Comment

Working...
                    X