A Duo Of Peculiar Games Being Ported To Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by droste View Post
    AFAIK it uses SDL for sound which supports other backends (e.g. ALSA) as well.
    Originally posted by ElderSnake View Post
    Don't worry, I've known more than one person (in the Steam Beta group chat etc) to run Steam and for example TF2 just fine with pure ALSA. As droste said, you just need to make SDL use the ALSA backend as default instead of Pulse.
    Well i read that steam can use ALSA with SDL_AUDIODRIVER=alsa but it looks like the Steam client is dynamically linked against pulseaudio, and thats why i would need to install pulsaudio to be able to run steam.
    If thats not the case then i would be real happy since i rather not install pulseaudio at all.
    Any one here that runs steam client without pulseaudio?

Comment

Originally posted by Nille_kungen View Post
      but it looks like the Steam client is dynamically linked against pulseaudio, and thats why i would need to install pulsaudio to be able to run steam.
      Code:
      $ ldd steam
              linux-gate.so.1 (0xf7795000)
              libX11.so.6 => /usr/lib/libX11.so.6 (0xf7623000)
              librt.so.1 => /lib/librt.so.1 (0xf761a000)
              libm.so.6 => /lib/libm.so.6 (0xf75ee000)
              libdl.so.2 => /lib/libdl.so.2 (0xf75e9000)
              libstdc++.so.6 => /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6 (0xf74fc000)
              libpthread.so.0 => /lib/libpthread.so.0 (0xf74e1000)
              libc.so.6 => /lib/libc.so.6 (0xf733b000)
              libxcb.so.1 => /usr/lib/libxcb.so.1 (0xf7318000)
              /lib/ld-linux.so.2 (0xf7796000)
              libgcc_s.so.1 => /lib/libgcc_s.so.1 (0xf72fa000)
              libXau.so.6 => /usr/lib/libXau.so.6 (0xf72f5000)

Comment

I backed this during the Kickstarter. I loved the Leisure Suit Larry games back in the day, as I did most Sierra games. The games certainly didn't age well, though, so it will be good to be able to play some classic Larry with a modern UI and a fresh coat of paint. Hopefully this is a success and they continue to remake the Larry series and eventually make a new Larry game (that's their plan).

Comment

Originally posted by dcc24 View Post
          Seriously? Never used a closed-source application? Ever? Or you only hate closed-source Linux applications because they are corrupting the one true free OS?

I hate this and I'm disgusted by all of you zealots hating on everyone who just happen to have a different (read: pragmatic) world view than you.
          Likewise, I hate this and I'm disgusted by all of you sluts hating on everyone who just happen to have a different (read: freedom) world view than you.

Comment

Originally posted by sirdilznik View Post
            I backed this during the Kickstarter. I loved the Leisure Suit Larry games back in the day, as I did most Sierra games. The games certainly didn't age well, though, so it will be good to be able to play some classic Larry with a modern UI and a fresh coat of paint. Hopefully this is a success and they continue to remake the Larry series and eventually make a new Larry game (that's their plan).
            Frankly, I want those Tierra/AGI Entertainment ports of Sierra games on Linux!

Comment

Funding proprietary games is a bad idea.People are paying the work.
              Why people cannot have acess the game data and source code?
              They can release using a permissive license to fork and create proprietary versions.

The developers need to relese the source code and game data .But proprietary model never releases nothing.Unless you wait 90 years.

I prefer to pay a proprietary game to release the game data and source code using a Opensource license.Even if costs more money.

Comment

Originally posted by TheLexMachine View Post
                Frankly, I want those Tierra/AGI Entertainment ports of Sierra games on Linux!
                That can be done now. They use Adventure Game Studio, which went open-source in October 2010 (though closed-source builds for Linux have been produced in the past).

Check it out: https://github.com/adventuregamestudio/ags

It builds for 32-bit and 64-bit distros. In fact, that's how http://www.infamous-quests.com is planning on delivering their Kickstarted adventure game, Quest for Infamy to their Linux backers

I've played Wadjet Eye's demo for Resonance and The Shivah using my own build of the AGS interpreter. I'll try out the AGDI and Infamous Adventures remakes (they did one King's Quest and also Space Quest II). So far, it works pretty well!

Comment

Originally posted by lapis View Post
                  Funding proprietary games is a bad idea.People are paying the work.
                  Why people cannot have acess the game data and source code?
                  They can release using a permissive license to fork and create proprietary versions.

The developers need to relese the source code and game data .But proprietary model never releases nothing.Unless you wait 90 years.

I prefer to pay a proprietary game to release the game data and source code using a Opensource license.Even if costs more money.
                  When I buy Cola, I pay for the work of developing new sodas. Why can't we have all their trade secrets?

Comment

Originally posted by Ancurio View Post
                    When I buy Cola, I pay for the work of developing new sodas. Why can't we have all their trade secrets?
                    Because you pay a tiny fraction of the work spread out over a long time (longer than "today", typically) and once the trade secrets get out competition tends to go up, prices tend to go down, and the ability of future sales to finish paying off the development work (or paying for the next development work depending on your accounting model) gets broken.

There was a brief period during the 70s and 80s when government funding paid for most of the expensive R&D and companies could either make lots of money or develop a lot of cool new stuff or both, but those times are largely gone now and funding R&D is really hard work again.
                    Last edited by bridgman; 16 January 2013, 05:20 PM.
                    Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by Ancurio View Post
                      There OpenCola, a open cola with open source recipe!

Last edited by uid313; 16 January 2013, 05:25 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X