Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More Linux Benchmarks Of The AMD A8-3500M Fusion APU

Phoronix: More Linux Benchmarks Of The AMD A8-3500M Fusion APU

Earlier this week we delivered launch-day Linux benchmarks of the AMD A8-3500M "Llano" Fusion APU. The results for this next-generation, quad-core Fusion chip were impressive with the graphics and compute power being several times faster than the common AMD E-350 Fusion APU. In that article we just had two other systems the A8-3500M performance was being compared to, but here are some more Linux benchmarks comparing Llano to other systems running Ubuntu 11.04.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

So it's more or less equivalent to a Intel Core i3 330M on the CPU side
    Good for AMD

The real interesting part would be now seeing how much GPU performance is better (I guess it's better....) and which is the power consumption comparison.

The competition on the mobile side should now be fair between intel and AMD

Comment

Originally posted by TeoLinuX View Post
      and which is the power consumption comparison.
      That's what I would consider important, even though AMD's CPU is not that powerful.

Comment

yeah of course, battery duration is the most important thing on a mobile device
        But I wouldn't define the CPU not that powerful, or you meant the GPU?

In the benchmark you can see that the CPU side is on par with i3 330, which is the reference competitor on the market.
        On other websites I saw that autonomy is really good.

Comment

On other websites I saw that autonomy is really good.
          It is good, but it isn't much better than Sandy Bridge.
          Last edited by bug77; 17 June 2011, 08:58 AM.

Comment

So it's more or less equivalent to a Intel Core i3 330M on the CPU side
            Good for AMD

The real interesting part would be now seeing how much GPU performance is better (I guess it's better....) and which is the power consumption comparison.

The competition on the mobile side should now be fair between intel and AMD
            Toms Hardware has such information. In comparison to the Intel 2520, the A8 get 2x the battery life. Very nice performance/watt ratio AMD! The Intel 2520 isn't 2x as fast and the graphics are very poor compared to the A8. I'm impressed.

Code-named Llano, AMD’s first desktop-class APU arrives today. This single-chip combination of the Stars CPU architecture and Radeon graphics brings unique strengths (and weaknesses) to the table, and we’re here to compare them to Intel's Sandy Bridge.

Not only does the A8-3500M get about twice as much time out of its battery, it does so while delivering far better graphics performance. The implications of this are profound: a Llano laptop user might be able to play a mainstream 3D game for an entire two-hour flight with decent frame rates, while the Intel Core i5-based platform would only last for half of the flight with choppy performance. There does, in fact, seem to be validity in AMD?s excitement over its improved power story, and of course this is a real advantage when it comes to mobile devices.

Comment

Well, I meant the GPU. The CPU is quite something compared to the E-350 or the Atom. I own myself a Samsung n210plus whose processor is an Atom N450, and I love this netbook because of its endless autonomy. Altohugh I would like to go with a better CPU and GPU performance without increasing too much the power consumption. Hopefully this new APU series will bring us this improvement.

Comment

As a mobile platform for programming/working with OpenGL more precisely, this looks to be pretty much exactly what I'm after. Now if only those pesky bills would stop appearing every other day, I might be able to save up and buy one.

Comment

What a lame excuse, the intel GPU's not supported on 11.04. You guys know how to update the intel driver stack and the kernel. Your comparision is not correct and draws a wrong picture. Both CPU's come with an integrated GPU, and therefore the correct test is using those GPU's.

Comment

Nice re-review, that's more like it, even if not 100% Apples-to-Apples.

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
                    It is good, but it isn't much better than Sandy Bridge.
                    It's based on an older core, with more focus on the GPU, so pretty good all things considered.
                    Earth-shattering? Nope. A viable alternative? Definitely.
                    I pretty much know what my next laptop will be based on now

Comment

Working...
                    X