Ubuntu 13.10 32-bit vs. 64-bit Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Calinou View Post
    No? There is literally zero performance difference between them, and Mint is less up-to-date on software since the releases are delayed compared to Ubuntu -- and this is even more the case for the Xfce edition.
    Encoding is not vastly different from all the other microbenchmarks, its more or less the same type of workload (kind of number-crunching) - where you spend a lot of time in quite small and highly optimized parts of a programm.

Serving static webpages is a completely different workload, where a lot of different code is executed with complex data-structures.
    So serving web-pages is actually a lot more like rendering web-pages or loading/saving large documents in LibreOffice and other everyday-stuff.

Comment

tcp/ip stack performance is also needed for 32/64bit comparison.

Originally posted by Linuxhippy View Post
      Encoding is not vastly different from all the other microbenchmarks, its more or less the same type of workload (kind of number-crunching) - where you spend a lot of time in quite small and highly optimized parts of a programm.

Serving static webpages is a completely different workload, where a lot of different code is executed with complex data-structures.
      So serving web-pages is actually a lot more like rendering web-pages or loading/saving large documents in LibreOffice and other everyday-stuff.
      Also, most of network/web tests are based on ipv4 which is 32bit, so there's no way to optimize it in a 64bit system.
      Phoronix, could you do more testing in ipv4 between 32/64bit systems?

Comment

Originally posted by enihcam View Post
        Also, most of network/web tests are based on ipv4 which is 32bit, so there's no way to optimize it in a 64bit system.
        Phoronix, could you do more testing in ipv4 between 32/64bit systems?
        How is there no way to optimize it?

Comment

Originally posted by synaptix View Post
          I'm sorry, how is a red and green graph discriminatory?
          I can think of two possibilities :

1. The poster could be talking about colour blindedness -- Red-green is the most common form in humans, and affects males more than females.

2. The poster could be a Red Green fan, but neither handsome nor handy.
          Last edited by bridgman; 25 July 2013, 08:00 PM.
          Test signature

Comment

Really, is that why I can get more FPS on games running Mint 15 and I get better system responsiveness and my shutdowns don't hang like it does on Ubuntu?

Oh and is that why all my packages and software matches that of current up to date version on Ubuntu as well?
            Thats the difference the desktop environment makes, swap out unity with the desktop you are using on Mint and the results will be virtually identical between the two.

Comment

Originally posted by Kivada View Post
              Thats the difference the desktop environment makes, swap out unity with the desktop you are using on Mint and the results will be virtually identical between the two.
              Mint reads and writes to my HDD and to my slave drive faster than Ubuntu does as well, DE has nothing to do with that.

Ubuntu write to HDD = 28MB/s (and the entire system became unresponsive to input and greyed out quite a few times as well)

Mint write to HDD = 74MB/s

This was copying my entire TF2 folder and all game files.

Comment

Mint reads and writes to my HDD and to my slave drive faster than Ubuntu does as well, DE has nothing to do with that.

Ubuntu write to HDD = 28MB/s (and the entire system became unresponsive to input and greyed out quite a few times as well)

Mint write to HDD = 74MB/s

This was copying my entire TF2 folder and all game files.
                thats not possible. kernel and file-sytem is the same in Ubuntu and Mint. DE has nothing to do with that.. Probably you where copying from Ubuntu to slave and then from slave to Mint. thats not same process for both prime and slave HDD.

Comment

Originally posted by verde View Post
                  thats not possible. kernel and file-sytem is the same. DE has nothing to do with that.. Probably you where copying from Ubuntu to slave and then from slave to Mint. thats not same process for both prime and slave HDD.
                  Actually it was master to master copy entire ~/.steam folder to ~/Documents/.steam.

I only use slave as reserve backup.

Also this was both on Kernel 3.11-rc2 as well. I've always had slow transfers and system unreponsiveness on vanilla Ubuntu, which never happens on Xubuntu or Mint.

Comment

come on!

can you please cut the crap about the distrowar in here? this is clearly 64 vs 32 bit architecture.
                    can we please discuss the failure of the apache benchmarch, which is a big deal for systems running apache ... like ... this page? or any page?
                    also i care more about the x32 deal. i don't know anything about it now (thanks for the input btw) but is there some option to run a 32bit-firefox on a 64bit system with a 32bit option for a speedup?

Comment

Originally posted by Maegashira View Post
                      can you please cut the crap about the distrowar in here? this is clearly 64 vs 32 bit architecture.
                      can we please discuss the failure of the apache benchmarch, which is a big deal for systems running apache ... like ... this page? or any page?
                      also i care more about the x32 deal. i don't know anything about it now (thanks for the input btw) but is there some option to run a 32bit-firefox on a 64bit system with a 32bit option for a speedup?
                      I would suggest to benchmark all ipv4 related scenarios.

Comment

Working...
                      X