Qualcomm DMCA Notice Takes Down 100+ Git Repositories

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jimbohale View Post
    You actually think that you're safe if you're not in the EU? You're wrong. Additionally, there is no evidence to suggest that the users' identities were disclosed. Also, the US companies could easily pressure the Norwegian companies to comply or face domain seizures (the US is pretty bullshit about those sorts of things) and extensive lawsuits. The world isn't fair and we need to do something about that rather than run into a hiding spot that isn't hiding.
    I was simply informing you of the fact that Norway is not in the EU. No, I do not feel safe any place. Yes, there is a marked difference here between Norway or EU and USA, so yes, I do believe your repository is safer in Europe than in the US. Not safe, but safer. I do agree that hiding is not a solution, but migrating services out of the US will probably push legislation in the US quickly. Nothing is more effective at pushing the politicians than having the largest companies lose money. Right now that is something we can do, but you seem to favour some other approach to change the system. Care to share your advice on what we should do?

Comment

Obviously we need to create a lunar base and declare it its own country. I denominate it RMSLand with an official currency of bitcoins.

Comment

Originally posted by highlandsun View Post
        And so they should. A class action, so no single person has to take on Qualcomm all by themselves. And Qualcomm and Cyveillance should suffer criminal penalties, not just civil penalties from the peoples' lawsuit.
        Or less extremistly you can speak with your wallet and not purchase qualcomm products and explain that it was due to this action, although tbh I doubt Qualcomm themselves had much to do with it, I think that the other company (can't be fucked to remember the name, probably some copyright troll) did it in a miscommunication or something. I'm sure we'll find out.

Comment

Originally posted by jimbohale View Post
          Or less extremistly you can speak with your wallet and not purchase qualcomm products and explain that it was due to this action, although tbh I doubt Qualcomm themselves had much to do with it, I think that the other company (can't be fucked to remember the name, probably some copyright troll) did it in a miscommunication or something. I'm sure we'll find out.
          Not buying Qualcomm products isn't hurding them much. Most of Qualcomm's income is generated by selling licenses for their patents and not by their regular business. It is usually called "Qualcomm tax" by other companies (just google it if you want to know more).

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
            Obviously we need to create a lunar base and declare it its own country. I denominate it RMSLand with an official currency of bitcoins.
            Wasn't the pirate bay planning on buying a ship and sticking it out in international waters permanently? Wonder whatever happened to that.

Comment

Sorry, those "laws" are for Wall Street and Hollywood

Originally posted by nslay View Post
              I see. To summarize:
              - Draft sucks
              - Ronald Reagan
              - El Salvador

This is your explanation of why you would think of details about how to avoid/break copyright laws in the US with computers and get away with it?

This is the style of thinking of a madman. Can't you see that your explanation is completely irrelevant?

You want to keep your servers up and running without potentially ruining your life? Just follow the law. Obviously if you're going to do something like run a service that hosts user-created content, some of your users are probably going to violate copyrights. It's not censorship; you don't get to host others' work without their permission (duh!).
              Keep in mind that people like Ronald Reagan were funded by Big Business, wars no more happen in a vacuum than DCMA notices do. This is acutally a minor issue to me, mostly a communications resource protection issue. When attacking an enemy that uses culture in their own campaigning, you need to ability to "culture jam," which means being able to do
              parodies and to use popular images and music in new contexts. One defense against this for the wealthy as copyright maximalization.

The other strategic issue is this: Hollywood and their friends really do want to turn personal computers in ALL form factors from server to phone into appliances with vendor-controlled, locked down operating systems that cannot be replaced. They can do this with software patents and copyrights on code necessary to operate an undocumented device, assuming they are willing to wait for older devices to die off. In this case "other's work" may be intended as an attack on the right of people to control their own hardware and requires counterattack by whatever means necessary,

Lastly, communications systems used in things like insurgencies or protest movements regarded by governments as potential insurgencies (Occupy?) cannot use operating systems controlled by the enemies of said insurgency, or all their comms are laid open to their enemies. This, what is good for Hollywood is good for the NSA and the FBI as well.

Comment

We can start with wholesale blocking of Cyveillance and all other copythug bots

Originally posted by highlandsun View Post
                And so they should. A class action, so no single person has to take on Qualcomm all by themselves. And Qualcomm and Cyveillance should suffer criminal penalties, not just civil penalties from the peoples' lawsuit.
                We can start by actively protecting our servers and all our assets from swine like this. Block copyright-enforcement bots, save your bandwidth. Hell, blocking all Israeli IP addresses is known to work well against PicScout, which is based there unless they have moved. Post website TOS banning these companies and all their clients from accessing your website. You can then throw demand letters at them when you find them in your logs, essentially "reverse Getty letters." Sue them if you have the resources.

Here's a thought: suppose big corporations found they could not use Qualcomm phones, etc without exposing themselves to tertiary-targetted campaigns like those used agianst Huntingdon Life Sciences, where campaigns against customers, suppliers, stockbrokers, and bankers can cripple a company?

Comment

Let's stay focused

I think we need to keep in perspective what this incident really illustrates: QC is really the bad actor here. Its not the dcma, or the us government, or the eu, or Github - even if those institutions could benefit from reform. It was the decision of QC alone to use strong-arm tactics to destroy the work and cooperation of others with the intent to enrich themselves.

Besides showing extreme malice towards developers, they have used their CDMA patents to monopolize the US cell phone market. And their GPU drivers are shit, which in turn has hampered the evolution of android graphics.

I personally can't wait to find a cellphone QC alternative, but those are hard to find in the US (see monopolize, above). Maybe the black phone, or a WikoWax. Tablets have much more competition, and I know my tablet purchases in the foreseeable future will be top-end and will not use QC chipsets

Comment

I will contribute my 0.2 cents too

I study at Technion here and Quallcomm does hiring event every semester or so.
                    From now on, I will recommend everyone not to work there.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke View Post
                      Keep in mind that people like Ronald Reagan were funded by Big Business, wars no more happen in a vacuum than DCMA notices do. This is acutally a minor issue to me, mostly a communications resource protection issue. When attacking an enemy that uses culture in their own campaigning, you need to ability to "culture jam," which means being able to do
                      parodies and to use popular images and music in new contexts. One defense against this for the wealthy as copyright maximalization.

The other strategic issue is this: Hollywood and their friends really do want to turn personal computers in ALL form factors from server to phone into appliances with vendor-controlled, locked down operating systems that cannot be replaced. They can do this with software patents and copyrights on code necessary to operate an undocumented device, assuming they are willing to wait for older devices to die off. In this case "other's work" may be intended as an attack on the right of people to control their own hardware and requires counterattack by whatever means necessary,

Lastly, communications systems used in things like insurgencies or protest movements regarded by governments as potential insurgencies (Occupy?) cannot use operating systems controlled by the enemies of said insurgency, or all their comms are laid open to their enemies. This, what is good for Hollywood is good for the NSA and the FBI as well.
                      I still don't see how this is related to your original explanation.

Regardless, blaming Hollywood alone for the current state and direction of technology is too simplistic. I see more of a push to "Cloud" than to "appliances with vendor-controlled, locked down operating systems." The "Cloud" way of thinking is due to a complicated combination of piracy, advertising (Google), and user friendliness. I think piracy (Hollywood et al) and Google take the brunt of the blame for the push to Cloud.

If you wanted to throw black helicopters into the mix, then if all devices are thin clients (useless garbage, like tablets and phones) and all data is stored on "The Cloud," this is good for both government and corporations. You don't have to worry about the bad guys using computers and software against you anymore (since everything is done on "The Cloud") and you know what everyone is doing (and you could also tax people for computing like mentioned in that Multics essay!).

Hopefully computing in the future won't be treated purely as a utility service and that we have more of a hybrid of personal computing and "cloud" computing.

Comment

Working...
                      X