Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radeon 3D Driver Rewrite Merged To Master

Phoronix: Radeon 3D Driver Rewrite Merged To Master

It has been several months coming, but the "radeon-rewrite" driver has been merged into the mainline Mesa code-base in the past hour. Red Hat's David Airlie had been working on the Radeon driver rewrite (a March '09 update) that adds buffer manager to all of the ATI Mesa 3D drivers (going back to the R100/200 series) along with working on support for DRI2 and OpenGL FBOs (Frame Buffer Objects) and other fundamental enhancements...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Excellent news.

Comment

I'de like to know when the game FooBillard will display correctly with ATI drivers, both closed and open source ones. Funny thing is that it works correctly under Windows, but not under Linux. You can install foobillard from synaptic on debian/ubuntu systems. You will notice a bad shading.... it's at least 3 years it's like that and still nothing changed.... it works correctly with INTEL and NVIDIA drivers......and I'de also like to know what's causing that bug..

Comment

Fglrx:

Radeon:

Last edited by Melcar; 12 June 2009, 12:39 AM.

Comment

I didn't see any mention of FooBilliard in either the fglrx or xorg bug trackers. Looks like nobody has filed a bug report so probably none of the devs are aware of a problem.
          Last edited by bridgman; 12 June 2009, 12:41 AM.
          Test signature

Comment

Yea Melcar, that's exactly the nasty bug I have from years only with AMD cards and only under Linux

And as you can see the bug is both with FGLRX and open source driver :S
            Last edited by bulletxt; 12 June 2009, 12:43 AM.

Comment

So that's a "bad" image ? What is the error -- the vertical line ? Or are the shadows wrong maybe ?
              Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                So that's a "bad" image ? What is the error -- the vertical line ? Or are the shadows wrong maybe ?
                The shadows.. on a correct display it shouldn't show shadows at all. An example:

or

Comment

It's really odd that two completely different drivers, written by independent groups, put up the same result. I wonder if there are ATI-specific code paths in the app ?

There are shadows on your "good" image as well, if you look closely, but they're a lot smaller.
                  Last edited by bridgman; 12 June 2009, 01:03 AM.
                  Test signature

Comment

Will this have any immediate benefits to R600+ users, or do we have to wait for another merge of the R600/700-specific work?

Comment

Working...
                    X