NVIDIA 310.14: OpenGL 4.3, Threaded Optimizations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by YAFU View Post
    Well, I installed v310.14 beta on Kubuntu 12.04 KDE 4.9.2 from Xorg Edgers PPA. Be careful if you enable this PPA. Read the warnings from PPA site. If you enabled it, just install "nvidia-current" 310.14 and "nvidia-settings". Then again disable the PPA.
    GT430 nVidia card.

The video playback when KDE effects are active (OpenGL) have poor performance (1080p). In SMPlayer, using VDPAU is even worse than with Xv. The quality improves when the effects are disabled or using XRender instead OpenGL. Is this problem related to these patches for KDE that you mentioned?

Also in nvidia-settings I can not find the settings for color/brightness/contrast for video (Xvideo). I refer to these configurations for video. These settings for color correction for screen there are.
    Hi,

Sorry you're running into this; can you please email [email protected] with that text and attach the output of running `sudo nvidia-bug-report.sh`?

Thanks!
    - Pierre-Loup

Comment

Edit: thefirstm, Plagma request was for you (see below)

Originally posted by Plagman View Post
      Hi,

Sorry you're running into this; can you please email [email protected] with that text and attach the output of running `sudo nvidia-bug-report.sh`?

Thanks!
      - Pierre-Loup
      The log generated is basically empty.

Start of NVIDIA bug report log file. Please include this file
      when reporting a graphics driver bug via the nV News NVIDIA
      Linux forum (see www.nvnews.net) or by sending email to
      '[email protected]'.

nvidia-bug-report.sh Version: 13578365

Date: mar oct 16 17:52:14 ART 2012
      uname: Linux yafupc 3.2.0-32-generic #51-Ubuntu SMP Wed Sep 26 21:33:09 UTC 2012 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
      command line flags:
      What should I do?
      Last edited by YAFU; 16 October 2012, 05:28 PM.

Comment

Actually, I meant to reply to thefirstm; sorry about that. It seems like you're trying to view the log in a tool that doesn't support multi-part gzip files. Try unzipping it with gunzip first and looking at it then, it should have all the content.

Comment

It seems like you're trying to view the log in a tool that doesn't support multi-part gzip files. Try unzipping it with gunzip first and looking at it then, it should have all the content.
          Yes it is, Ark can not handle it

Actually, I meant to reply to thefirstm; sorry about that
          Ok, then I guess the poor performance using OpenGL in KDE is a known issue for nVidia.
          Regards.

Comment

To be clear, the issue you're observing is that VDPAU playback with 310.14 is slow if KDE OpenGL compositing is enabled, but not if desktop effects are disabled? 310.14 was supposed to address just that, so it's not really a known issue to me. If you can also submit a bug report as described above we can try to see what's different about your configuration.

Thanks!

Comment

Something like that. Not only with VDPAU performance is bad. Also Xv video playback performance is poor. What I say is that VDPAU is even worse than with Xv. All that if KDE OpenGL compositing is enabled. With effect disabled or using XRender the performance is better.
              Actually I'm noticing that when the effects are active (OpenGL), everything is slower and heavier in KDE. The response of the effects and when switch windows are a bit slower.

How I can reset to the default nvidia-settings configuration? I want to be sure the problem is not because I've changed something in other versions of the driver.

Sorry for my English if I can not explain it better.
              Last edited by YAFU; 16 October 2012, 05:59 PM.

Comment

Actually, I meant to reply to thefirstm; sorry about that. It seems like you're trying to view the log in a tool that doesn't support multi-part gzip files. Try unzipping it with gunzip first and looking at it then, it should have all the content.
                I just sent in the bug report.

Comment

Which version of OpenCL is supported in this version?

It's good to see more OpenGL 4.3 support, CUDA 5.0 is looking very interesting. I'm looking forward to a 310.x stable driver.

Please stop whining about Wayland and KMS, the first is not at a usable state yet and the latter is not needed for the Nvidia driver.

Comment

Originally posted by asdx
                    So you think that just because your nvidia blob doesn't use KMS, then KMS is no longer necessary?

Wow, your ignorance speaks louder.
                    Dude, you should really kick this habit of only reading parts of posts. Especially when you intend to call others ignorant. Because all you're showing is your *own* ignorance.

KMS is not necessary for the Nvidia driver. KMS is not the one holy modesetting solution. Nvidia have their own. And now let me blow your mind: Nvidia's modesetting is in the kernel too! Even bigger mind blowage: They've had it way before KMS even existed!

Comment

I selected "raster" as Qt Graphics System and performance is better.
                      I think that performance in "native" (X11) should be better.

Comment

Working...
                      X