No announcement yet.

Mark Shuttleworth Goes Blogging On Ubuntu Defense

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think this is what may eventually kill Ubuntu. Moving further away from the other Linux distributions, they receive less upstream development on core components. They're quickly moving from collaborators to competitors.

Ubuntu is far from the cutting edge Debian derivative I liked in 8.04 LTS. Nowadays I use Debian Sid and have more or less alienated Ubuntu as a desktop OS.

Comment

I've posted on Mark's site but that stupid spam plug-in 'Akismet' blocks my gmail account and there seems no way to remove your email address from their lists. Wordpress application is so lame at times.

Comment

Originally posted by Ibidem;317231Also, while I disagree with the "buttons on the left" decision ([URL="http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1430585&page=39&p=9034150#post903 4150"
        my comment in the poll during Lucid development[/URL]), I am aware that there was a technical reason. IIRC, it was to avoid putting them near the various applets and messages.
        In retrospect it was just one of many preparations for Unity. And that's why they were so adamant about it. The whole buttons-on-the-left issue was important because it clearly denoted the watershed between Ubuntu as a philosophy and Ubuntu as a recognized brand. It was precisely the point where Canonical stopped listening to their userbase and adopted typical corporate "we know what you need better then you" bullshit.
        Last edited by prodigy_; 08 March 2013, 12:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by talvik View Post
          Canonical is not contributing upstream. They're trying to get support for their project(which BTW undermines the efforts for a new standard display server).

And other projects shouldn't take any patch in. It adds complexity and maintenance. Imagine having to support half a dozen display servers.
          Example: If a create a new type of executable incompatible with Linux. Should the Linux kernel just take my patch to support my executable?
          If the user share of your executable outnumbers other executables combined then yes, by all means.

Comment

Originally posted by aironeous View Post
            Since I use Ubuntu with mostly the Plasma desktop I would consider myself part of the Ubuntu community. I'm fairly new to linux (less than a year using linux) and I don't know how to code or understand a lot of these techical terms you guys use but I think i have a basic understanding of what Mark is saying. I think he wants to be like Apple, Windows and Android (regarding wealth), feels the goal is achieveable and will say/do anything to justify it and color it as politcally correct (politcally here means as in relation to the other distros).
            Oh well. There are other distros, if he makes a bad decision/s then we will abandon his distro right?
            Sailfish is targetting Wayland and that is their future linux competition on phones and tablets right?
            Valve is going with X and probably open to Wayland and that is their future desktop/gaming platform competition right?
            Opensuse is their enterprise competition and they are still same old same old right?
            So what are we getting next from Valve? Valve Debian or something like that?
            1. Your choice.
            2. Too late for that, sorry
            3. X, Wayland and Mir but I'd rather say just Mir since they target one platform - Ubuntu. Everything else is just an extra.
            4. openSUSE is buggy as hell, no idea about SLE.
            5. SteamBox which is Valve Ubuntu most likely.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
              Yes, wouldn't it be nice if free software was the norm, not the exception?

But how are we going to get there?
              If it is by selling our core values, then is it really worth it?

I don't want Linux with adware, spyware, EULA, DRM, proprietary software, proprietary protocols, binary blobs, bundled software, browser toolbars, software that modify browser start page, backdoors, etc.

Don't forget about transparency.
              No, it's not. It's better to stay a community of geeks and programmers and show off l33t openbox setup to our girl- / boyfriends.

Comment

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
                "What I?m really interested in is this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to create a free and open platform that is THE LEADER across both consumer and enterprise computing."

FLOSS needs THE FUHRER!
                Lol

Sad but true. Bazaar (as philosophy) is good at creating flexible software with a lot of cool features, cathedral leads to less bugs and faster development. To put it in simple terms:

Community writes desktop software as it likes
                Companies write desktop software so it *works*

Take Jabber+Jingle for example:
                You can easily play chess via Jabber (psi-plus)
                You can easily join conferences via Jabber
                You can even make your own Jabber server
                And if you want to call behind NAT ? you?re screwed

That?s why millions use Skype.

Comment

Originally posted by ворот93 View Post
                  If the user share of your executable outnumbers other executables combined then yes, by all means.
                  I would like to see a source for those numbers, do you have a link to reliable statistics that show that Ubuntu has more users than the other distros combined?

Comment

Originally posted by Vim_User View Post
                    I would like to see a source for those numbers, do you have a link to reliable statistics that show that Ubuntu has more users than the other distros combined?

1 place = Android, 13120M hits
                    2 place = Ubuntu, 1081M hits
                    3 place = SUSE 18M hits

That is not even funny.

While 'Linux Other' seems suspicious, it could easily constitute older versions of Android or Ubuntu and does not look reliable enough to disprove the argument.
                    Last edited by ворот93; 16 March 2013, 10:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ворот93 View Post
                      While 'Linux Other' seems suspicious, it could easily constitute older versions of Android or Ubuntu and does not look reliable enough to disprove the argument.
                      Actually, it does not look reliable enough to prove the argument. Linux other can be any distro, not just older Ubuntu installations.

Comment

Working...
                      X