Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Kernel Mode-Setting Continues On FreeBSD

Phoronix: AMD Kernel Mode-Setting Continues On FreeBSD

For being a project that's just a few months old and up until recently wasn't touched by BSD developers, the port of the open-source AMD Radeon kernel mode-setting driver from the Linux kernel to FreeBSD kernel is progressing nicely...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Why the hell is there so many articles about this all repeating the same thing? As if it makes a big deal and it's going to effect alot of people.

No one's going to use it, they rather use KMS on Linux and by the way, Intel KMS on FreeBSD is a complete failure. Users report that doing startx just causes a blank screen with the only way to recover is to reboot. I went through all the torture to tried it myself while nearly commiting sucide just to have the same thing happen. BSD cunts are a bunch of Crap

Comment

And BTW I deleted FreeBSD from my test computer. The moment it was gone from the hard drive (replaced with linux), I suddenly felt alot better.

Comment

I have had no problems with intel kms on my labtop with pc-bsd.

Comment

Hello Michael Larabel!

First, thank you very much for the regular articles on Phoronix!

I would like to correct one fact: the FreeBSD Foundation doesn't sponsor me to port the Radeon KMS driver, I'm doing this on my free time. However, the Foundation recently hired Konstantin Belousov, the developer who ported Intel KMS driver and the TTM memory manager, though I don't know if he was paid when he did the TTM port.

Regarding the status update I post on the FreeBSD wiki, I don't put much technical details. Would it be useful to you and Phoronix readers if I tell more?

--
          Jean-S?bastien P?dron

Comment

Originally posted by dumbbell View Post
            Hello Michael Larabel!

First, thank you very much for the regular articles on Phoronix!

I would like to correct one fact: the FreeBSD Foundation doesn't sponsor me to port the Radeon KMS driver, I'm doing this on my free time. However, the Foundation recently hired Konstantin Belousov, the developer who ported Intel KMS driver and the TTM memory manager, though I don't know if he was paid when he did the TTM port.

Regarding the status update I post on the FreeBSD wiki, I don't put much technical details. Would it be useful to you and Phoronix readers if I tell more?

--
            Jean-S?bastien P?dron
            I am definitely interested. Thanks for your work.

Comment

Originally posted by soupbowl View Post
              I have had no problems with intel kms on my labtop with pc-bsd.
              Keep dreaming, you are the only one who are making this claim while others including those mentally insane enough to use BSD say the opposite.

It's either you are a blatant lier or you just have no idea whether you are runing KMS or not.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow
                I can say the say thing about Linux users with Windows' 90% market share in desktop operating systems.
                Linux is in pretty good shape if you look outside the desktop arena =). I doubt many regular folks feel the need to play with their OS. They also expect any pc game to work on their system. If Linux came preinstalled on more PC's and game companies saw the light and used OGL and ported all AAA games to both Linux and Mac, those numbers would skew something drastic.

I mean case in point, look at android (linux). Comes preinstalled on phones, most mobile games and apps are on it. Nobody cares about what's under the hood, just that they can play angry birds.

Comment

Originally posted by nightmarex View Post
                  Linux is in pretty good shape if you look outside the desktop arena =). I doubt many regular folks feel the need to play with their OS. They also expect any pc game to work on their system. If Linux came preinstalled on more PC's and game companies saw the light and used OGL and ported all AAA games to both Linux and Mac, those numbers would skew something drastic.

I mean case in point, look at android (linux). Comes preinstalled on phones, most mobile games and apps are on it. Nobody cares about what's under the hood, just that they can play angry birds.
                  I know Linux is doing well in other segments that is not desktop/notebook-related. That's why i specifically mentioned 'desktop operating system' when comparing Windows to Linux to disprove someone's claims.

On an unrelated note, if you can find it within yourself to give Windows Phone 8 a try, do so. Chances are you'd be pleasantly surprised. Technically it's no where as advanced as Android v4.2 (Jelly Bean) but its userland is extremely polished and a joy to use.

And for my own safety I'm going to stop lest people start throwing words like 'shill' and 'astroturfer' or 'proprietary whore' in my way.

Comment

Originally posted by crapI3SD
                    Thus linking KMS driver to Linux GPLs the KMS driver.
                    Doesn't work like that. If you distribute a kernel binary which includes the KMS driver then you need to provide or offer source code for the KMS driver (along with all the other source used to make the kernel binary) but the license of the KMS driver itself is not affected.
                    Test signature

Comment

Working...
                    X