Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gentoo Releases New LiveDVD (Gentoo 11.2)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gentoo Releases New LiveDVD (Gentoo 11.2)

Phoronix: Gentoo Releases New LiveDVD (Gentoo 11.2)

Gentoo Linux "The future is now" has been released, which is the Gentoo 11.2 LiveDVD...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Hey, that file-system thingamajing seems pretty cool. Nice to see some Gentoo-related news as well =)

Comment

Does that mean if we use a RW DVD we can add to the LiveDVD or does it only work with an extra USB stick?

+1 for great to see more Gentoo news

Comment

I wonder why Michael never posts Gentoo news unless there's a live disc involved. Can it be that even after all those years of users pointing out to him how Gentoo works, he's still clueless?

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
          I wonder why Michael never posts Gentoo news unless there's a live disc involved. Can it be that even after all those years of users pointing out to him how Gentoo works, he's still clueless?
          Hahaha, now now, let's be nice to Michael! I guess Gentoo just isn't very easy to write about. It's not like you would post a news story saying "Today the Gentoo-kernel was bumped to 3.0, so run your eix-sync now!". Or well, I guess he could.
          So for new software versions, I guess it's just not very good for headlines, but there are many other things to write about! There has been many political issues regarding the Gentoo counsil, and there are several technical things unique to Gentoo, like the advent of Portage 2.0 (definitely something to write about), Grub 2 (not unique of course but will Gentoo soon use it, etc etc?) and perhaps foremost OpenRC. Is it good in comparison to the other init systems used by Ubuntu, FreeBSD, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Azpegath View Post
            Hahaha, now now, let's be nice to Michael! I guess Gentoo just isn't very easy to write about. It's not like you would post a news story saying "Today the Gentoo-kernel was bumped to 3.0, so run your eix-sync now!". Or well, I guess he could.
            Why, can't he write about EAPI news, OpenRC, baselayout 2 and stuff like that? These are core Gentoo technologies.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
              Why, can't he write about EAPI news, OpenRC, baselayout 2 and stuff like that? These are core Gentoo technologies.
              Yeah, just like I said in my post.
              I just also said that it's a bit tougher to write about, than simply saying "Ubuntu is bringing in the 3.0 version of the kernel in their next release". That's more like a tabloid header =)

Comment

I'd like to see things like: Portage-2.2 released! (since it brings a buttload of awesome changes)

Also I find it interesting that the DVD ships with Gnome3 since It is still marked as highly unstable in Gentoo.

Comment

Originally posted by Ragas View Post
                  I'd like to see things like: Portage-2.2 released! (since it brings a buttload of awesome changes)
                  Ah, yeah. That's what I meant when I said 2.0 =)
                  I agree, this is the next article we want Michael, a walk-through of the changes in Portage 2.2!

Originally posted by Ragas View Post
                  Also I find it interesting that the DVD ships with Gnome3 since It is still marked as highly unstable in Gentoo.
                  Oooh, I didn't even think of that! That's an awesome way of testing it out then. I haven't even had the time to think about testing it, especially since the Gentoo devs are saying that they're gonna wait at least until 3.1 before they start bringing it in (at least to unstable).

Comment

Oooh, I didn't even think of that! That's an awesome way of testing it out then. I haven't even had the time to think about testing it, especially since the Gentoo devs are saying that they're gonna wait at least until 3.1 before they start bringing it in (at least to unstable).
                    I tested out the LiveDVD today (to fix grub issues, you just have to love chroot...) but I was only able to use KDE4.7 (which still looks horrible, I just don't understand those KDE theme guys) and didn't find an obvious way to switch to Gnome3. I guess I will have to try again another day.

Comment

Working...
                    X