Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• problematic quake3 with open ATI driver

Hi there,

My video is 780G (HD3200), and I uses a current (date Mar, 19) build of open source drivers from freedesktop.org.

Though there are no error messages, when opening quake3 games, the screen is always dark, adjusting gamma values does nothing.

And it's much slower comparing to FGLRX (only around 30 fps).
    This slowness is apparent in all games, including Quake Live, Warsow, OpenArena...

(Although interestingly, the dark screen thing doesn't show in the case of Warsow)

Is this supposed to be normal or there's something wrong with my system ? Does anyone with the same hardware and driver settings play quake3 with no problem at all ? What's your frames with OSS drivers ?

OSS drivers are slower than fglrx at the moment, considerably so. They will improve once real optimisation work starts, but don't expect it tomorrow.

Some of us are experiencing the dark gamma bug in Quake3-based games (like OpenArena), but it seems like the developers can't duplicate it.

I get playable framerates at most resolutions up to full HD: 40-60fps. I can't get 125 atm, there are bottlenecks which will have to be optimised away in the future.

Comment

I can't adjust the gamma in OA either, and this is with Intel hardware. Is there a bug open for this?

Comment

pingufunkybeat:
        That's great infomation, helps big time.
        I heard that Ubuntu some how got catalyst working for xorg-1.7,
        maybe I'll use them cause I reallly haven't played a good match for quite a while ...

Comment

Originally posted by whizse View Post
          I can't adjust the gamma in OA either, and this is with Intel hardware. Is there a bug open for this?
          Answering myself here, it's caused by a change in the xserver, so it's broken for everyone, regardless of what driver is used:
          This bug report was migrated from our old Bugzilla tracker. These attachments are available in the static archive: Add support for XRandR and VidMode gamma ramps (libsdl-new_gamma_ramp_support.patc...

Comment

In the meantime, you can make q3-based games playable by using

/seta r_overbrightbits "0"
            /seta r_ignorehwgamma "1"

Comment

Working...
            X