HELP!!! FGLRX causing screen hardlocks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Xipeos View Post
    ... Try "grep EE Xorg.log" for errors or WW for warnings (credits to lenrek).
    LOL...

If we do

Code:
    # head -20 /var/log/Xorg.0.log
     Window System Version 6.9.0
    Release Date: 21 December 2005
    X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0, Release 6.9
    Build Operating System: Linux 2.6.18.8-smp i686 [ELF] 
    Current Operating System: Linux virgo 2.6.22-rc4 #1 Wed Jun 6 12:09:39 SGT 2007 i686
    Build Date: 19 April 2007
            Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.X.Org
            to make sure that you have the latest version.
    Module Loader present
    Markers: (--) probed, (**) from config file, (==) default setting,
            (++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
            (WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
    (==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Wed Jun 20 11:50:06 2007
    (==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf"
    (==) ServerLayout "X.org Configured"
    (**) |-->Screen "aticonfig-Screen[0]" (0)
    (**) |   |-->Monitor "Monitor0"
    (**) |   |-->Device "Card0"
    (**) |-->Input Device "Mouse0"
    The "Markers" information already stated there. I don't think I can claim credits for that...

Comment

Originally posted by lenrek View Post
      I had the same problem before, I manage to solve it after reading from somewhere about how to set device section. Below is my setup
      I see few things in both configs that would have an impact. Probably directly specifying the card port with BusID "PCI:1:5:0" fixes the problem (as the problem seems to be with libfglrxdrm - the Xorg.log ends as it's loading).

"Option "UseInternalAGPGART" "yes" " may be the solution if karthikrg doesn't have the agpgart module built (I doubt it though).

Comment

"Option "UseInternalAGPGART" "yes" " may be the solution if karthikrg doesn't have the agpgart module built (I doubt it though).
        Yes, I forgot to mention. I do not use the agp module that comes with the kernel. In my experience, it seems to cause a lot of problem to me (at least for my system).

ETA: Just to clarify, I do build the kernel modules. However, since I enabled this option, I had assumed even though modules are load into the system, they are not being used by fglrx. However, I am using this same setup since I first successfully configured my ATI card (it was sometime around Dec2005/Jan2006). Since then, every upgrade/updates from ATI, I only update the fglrx portion, and did not change this option in xorg.conf. So, maybe now, this option no longer needed.
        Last edited by lenrek; 20 June 2007, 08:11 AM.

Comment

I see few things in both configs that would have an impact. Probably directly specifying the card port with BusID "PCI:1:5:0" fixes the problem (as the problem seems to be with libfglrxdrm - the Xorg.log ends as it's loading).

AGP gart for a PCI-E card??? I am not sure of this.. jus asking.. and yaa how to manually specify the BUS ID in xorg.conf.. pls tell me

Comment

Originally posted by karthikrg View Post
            AGP gart for a PCI-E card??? I am not sure of this.. jus asking.. and yaa how to manually specify the BUS ID in xorg.conf.. pls tell me
            Yes, I believe you still need agpgart because it handles memory allocation for 2d/3d.

As for the BusID, run "lspci |grep VGA" to get it. For example on my system:
            Code:
            # lspci |grep VGA
            01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc R481 [Radeon X850XT-PE]
            01:00:0 is the BusID. Combine it with PCI and you get BusID "PCI:1:0:0" (even if you're on AGP).

Comment

I thought we should use xorgcfg to create the xorg.conf and use it to run with "aticonfig --initial --input=/etc/X11/xorg.conf" (my xorgcfg save xorg.conf to this path)?

By using xorgcfg, it should create a working xorg.conf. This will make it easier for us to tweak the system.

Comment

I thought we should use xorgcfg to create the xorg.conf and use it to run with "aticonfig --initial --input=/etc/X11/xorg.conf" (my xorgcfg save xorg.conf to this path)?

By using xorgcfg, it should create a working xorg.conf. This will make it easier for us to tweak the system.
                Whatever suits you
                xorgcfg crashes for me and leaves me with a blank screen, if ran from the console (it seems useless in X) and aticonfig freezes if ran with X.

Comment

xorgcfg crashes for me and leaves me with a blank screen, if ran from the console (it seems useless in X) and aticonfig freezes if ran with X.
                  Oh... Yeah... I remember now...

Well, I guess this one of the reason why there are many complaints. I know many of us dread the idea of editing xorg.conf manually...

Comment

Oh... Yeah... I remember now...

Well, I guess this one of the reason why there are many complaints. I know many of us dread the idea of editing xorg.conf manually...
                    i Pm'ed michael larabel and he said the issue shud hopefully be fixed in 8.38 which is due soon.. guess its a known fglrx bug then

Comment

Originally posted by karthikrg View Post
                      i Pm'ed michael larabel and he said the issue shud hopefully be fixed in 8.38 which is due soon.. guess its a known fglrx bug then
                      Well, I guess, this is unfortunate for you. Thank goodness my Xpress 200M is working fine...
                      Last edited by lenrek; 21 June 2007, 09:51 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X