No announcement yet.

The Open-Source ATI Driver Is Becoming A Lot Faster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd argue that VMWare is a very special use-case. It's annoying to you personally, but this doesn't mean that the drivers don't work.

Comment

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
      I'd argue that VMWare is a very special use-case. It's annoying to you personally, but this doesn't mean that the drivers don't work.
      VMWare uses OpenGL, so I don't see how it's a special use-case. If the driver doesn't support OpenGL correctly, then it's clearly not ready yet since the purpose is to run OpenGL apps with it.

Are you going to turn all bugs into "special use-cases?"

Comment

Originally posted by Xeno View Post
        BTW someone made my day ...
        Just look at bottom of the page ....

Spot on !!! :thumbs:
        Adding tags is a consolidated tradition every time gordboy starts a new flame. I suggest you having a look at the Release The Driver, Or Step Aside thread: I'm sure you will enjoy it

Do you call S3TC a special use case?
        How long since R600g will gain full S3TC support via libtxc_dxtn.so like R300g?
        I love the radeon driver too, but I have to admit we are far from an usable driver.
        ## VGA ##
        AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
        Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by gordboy View Post
          Anyways, the reason for the repeated complaints is the repeated FAILURE to deliver a properly working graphics driver stack for ATI cards. I'm not just talking about performance. I'm talking about basic functionality being broken.
          Failure to deliver yet as it has not been delivered yet because Gallium is at version 0,4, bein less than 1,0.

The fact that Michael is bewitched by these charlatans and snake-oil merchants, is sad enough.
          That's your opinion.

Does anyone here actually care about linux ?
          No we don't; that's why we hang around a Linux review website. I hope you sense my sarcasm here, given that you are not autistic.

Or are you happy to be unpaid stooges for a sordid corporate strategy whose inevitable endgame is the attempted final destruction of linux itself ?
          Unpaid? Am I unpaid? Since when did my salary stop?

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
            Do you call S3TC a special use case?
            No, I call it patented technology. It's commonly used, unfortunately.

How long since R600g will gain full S3TC support via libtxc_dxtn.so like R300g?
            As soon as somebody reverse-engineers it for r600 hardware.

The library itself is not the problem.

Comment

unfortunately
              This word actually describes the state of the FOSS drivers pretty well.

I'll stick to my point of view. If a driver doesn't provide that stuff, then it doesn't help me the least to know why it doesn't. OK, it's patented, but frankly, I don't care. I want my software to work!

Comment

Originally posted by gordboy View Post
                Just as soon as the AMD fanboys stop using deeply offensive words like "autistic" and "retarded", I might consider being civil. I am a parent with an autistic son, and I find the language here at times totally unacceptable and offensive.
                I got a hypothesis;
                Your autistic son is a genius and is fascinated by Linux. You don't understand this because you're not a genius autistic person and wonder why he doesn't play football with his male buddies after which they take a steamy groupshower (which is kind of gay). You then project the hate created by your 'failed' son (read your failed self) onto the first Linux website that came up when you googled it and started ranting about how much this open thingy sucks. I mean it is obvious that this 'openy ringy dingy' clearly threatens your sons interest in pointless excersice with simple minded losers that end up replicating their RNA at least two times and end up hating smart people because they don't understand them. I mean how is it that these geniuses care for something that they can't earn money from?

But then your evil plan was shut down so you had no choice but to read up about what you fear to love (hate) and now not only do we hate you, but you also hate yourself. But you have to come back because you're a winner.

Now eventualy you have to end this endless loop by either (a) killing your yourself or (b) simply accept that other people likes are not always yours.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
                  This word actually describes the state of the FOSS drivers pretty well.

I'll stick to my point of view. If a driver doesn't provide that stuff, then it doesn't help me the least to know why it doesn't. OK, it's patented, but frankly, I don't care. I want my software to work!
                  Well, if you depend on that one feature, then you will obviously not have much use for OSS drivers.

I still think that it's very misleading to say that they don't work at all. They work very well for most use-cases and most users.

We all agree that they are not perfect. Even the nvidia blob is not perfect, look, they broke KDE yet again.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
                    VMWare uses OpenGL, so I don't see how it's a special use-case. If the driver doesn't support OpenGL correctly, then it's clearly not ready yet since the purpose is to run OpenGL apps with it.

Are you going to turn all bugs into "special use-cases?"
                    While you're right and of course it should work, you're adding one more layer of problems since VM OpenGL and D3D support is very lacking and a work in progress. I tried VMWare's 3D acceleration not too long ago and it wasn't even close to being totally implemented and fully functional.

So, in short, to make sure problems you're experiencing aren't problems with the VMware 3D graphics layer, I would think anyone would want you testing drivers natively. Apps just utilizing the CPU and such, sure, VMs are fine for general testing, but 3D graphics?? AFAIK I don't think that's the preferred testing method...

Comment

No, I call it patented technology. It's commonly used, unfortunately.
                      And so? It can be delivered as an external library and I can use it because I live in Europe, where's the problem?

As soon as somebody reverse-engineers it for r600 hardware.
                      Why there isn't any doc about it? Being patented means you have to pay royalties to use it, it doesn't mean you can't deliver docs...
                      ## VGA ##
                      AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
                      Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Working...
                      X