No announcement yet.

Sailfish SDK Update Switches From X11 To Wayland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I agree with Luke. USA is a threat to me, China and its allies (Russia, NK) are not. Therefore US backdoors are more harmful to me than Chinese ones.

The situation may change, but currently that's how it is.

For a comparison, Oracle is always touted as the ultimate evil, yet I hold them as a lesser evil to MS, since I've personally been shafted by MS, but never by Oracle. Perspectives.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
      I agree with Luke. USA is a threat to me, China and its allies (Russia, NK) are not. Therefore US backdoors are more harmful to me than Chinese ones.

The situation may change, but currently that's how it is.

For a comparison, Oracle is always touted as the ultimate evil, yet I hold them as a lesser evil to MS, since I've personally been shafted by MS, but never by Oracle. Perspectives.
      Do you have some logical reason behind your stance? So what happens when you will become ultimate thorn in US ass? For all their posturing US and Chine are cooperating when it suits them they might even exchange info about you
      NK and China can sell your info to anyone yes its unlikely but its possible NK can do it for cash i imagine that no one wants their NK money so they might do it for USDs

Shafted in which way?

Comment

Originally posted by mark45 View Post
        What saddens me is that the USA (for example) invades Iraq (several times), kills 100K+ Iraqis and is considered "democracy", tries (and succeeds) to organize coups around the world (including Iran, Ukraine, Georgia etc etc) spies on all people it has access to inside the USA and outside USA, kill anyone with drones around the world without trial, trumps its own Constitution, has 100+ military bases around the world and is still considered "democracy", while pour China who hasn't started a war with anyone for a long time is considered an "oppressive regime" because its people are so pour they (like many Mexicans in the USA) are willing to work a lot for limited amounts of money.
        To keep it on topic: what should sadden us (apart from all those truths) is that Jolla is completely unable to enter the United States' market, because of the wacky hardware and software patent situation. That is also a relevant political blunder.

Comment

Originally posted by Alejandro Nova View Post
          To keep it on topic:
          Hold on, this is Phoronix. Keeping it on topic actually means you've just gone off topic.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
            Hold on, this is Phoronix. Keeping it on topic actually means you've just gone off topic.
            I sincerely hope not, that's not been my experience (for the most part), which is what I love about it.

Comment

what should sadden us (apart from all those truths) is that Jolla is completely unable to enter the United States' market, because of the wacky hardware and software patent situation.
              What are the software patents involved ?

Comment

Originally posted by doom_Oo7 View Post
                What are the software patents involved ?
                There's no single patent involved yet, because obviously there has been no complaint, as there is no product (and in particular, no product in the US).
                But it could be any patent in the "slide to unlock" style. Each big manufacturer has thousands of them, and they don't even need to win: you can bankrupt a start-up just by the legal fees involved in defense, even if you would end up loosing.

Comment

Originally posted by erendorn View Post
                  There's no single patent involved yet, because obviously there has been no complaint, as there is no product (and in particular, no product in the US).
                  But it could be any patent in the "slide to unlock" style. Each big manufacturer has thousands of them, and they don't even need to win: you can bankrupt a start-up just by the legal fees involved in defense, even if you would end up loosing.
                  Damn. Happy to be an european then.

Comment

Originally posted by jalyst View Post
                    Not really if you're talking about just 1x hard requirement & nothing else, esp. when it's something as subjective & "learned" as comfort.
                    If it was something far more central to the utility/flexibility of the device, maybe, but even then it's still (somewhat) silly.
                    There's way more than 1x consideration when choosing a device, even if you already own a large suite of form-factors & sw_env/platforms.
                    It's possible to have 1x consideration that's a "deal breaker", but discomfort from "spiky corners" is way down the bottom of that list.
                    There'd be something else that's a "deal breaker" long before you get to it, else you're just not doing it right or something is colouring your perception.
                    He never said he only had 1 hard req. He said one of them failed.
                    Plus I'm sure you have 1x hard requirement on platform, while the vast majority of the consumers don't, but that does not make your requirement silly

Comment

Originally posted by erendorn View Post
                      He never said he only had 1 hard req. He said one of them failed.
                      It certainly read like that, the 1x hard requirement had been scratched, so it was time to walk.
                      It honestly didn't read like that to you?

Plus I'm sure you have 1x hard requirement on platform, while the vast majority of the consumers don't, but that does not make your requirement silly
                      Eh?

Comment

Working...
                      X