No announcement yet.

Sacred Gold On Linux Has Gone Gold

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hmm, I bought the Windows version ages ago when there was no Gold edition yet. Spent many hours with the game. And I would seriously consider buying it (again), if they made a version for the Pandora. That is it would have to be "adjusted" to have it run on ARM and some special things regarding controls and display resolution would have to be done, too. Beside this I *think* it *might* just be powerful enough for this game, though it is probably a borderline case...

But yeah, good thing to have a native Linux binary for this game now since it is fun to play. (Though I dislike the DRM component. )

Comment

Sacred / Linux

OMG. So it's finally coming to Linux on x86. Well, though that's nice it's also very late.
      My NDA doesn't forbid me (I hope) to tell that I was one of the closed Betatesters in Germany for Sacred. So on one hand I appreciate that it's going to have a native port for Linux finally but on the other hand I've seen enough of that game in all the time of intensive betatesting.
      Since it took off some remains from LMK which was intended to be kind of a Realms of Arkania (DSA/TDE The Dark Eye German Fantasy P&P RPG) like release I was happy to see the remains of LMK brought to life finally after LMK had such an unfortunate death.
      But it was way too action like for me as a roleplayer, way too much hack and slay a la Diablo. Anyway. A lot of people liked it and I still had my share of fun too even though it wasn't perfectly my taste.

But the general problem I see is that firms like LGP or Loki (r.i.p.) do a lot of portation work but always with titles that are years old. Y'know the W32 version of these games is 3-4 years old and available on "Grabbeltisch" (cheapo table with mixed stuff thrown in in the supermarkets "each items 10E") for about 10E / 12-15 US$. So all those people being short on money (e.g. most pupils, students, but probably main group of gamers?) who have a dual boot system or are using WINE or Cedega will probably have problems spending full price for a native port when they either already played the game on W32 or have the mentioned solutions and can use the W32-chapo-re-release for 10 E.
      I wish that portation release would be in similar time like the "official" W32 releases by the main company. (see many independent games or most id soft stuff, releasing W32, MacOS, Linux versions at about same time)

And a Digital Restriction management would be really, really awful. I guess Linux/free OS users are even more susceptible and sensitive to DRM than the average Windows gamer. And most of them I hear complaining about DRM keeping them from playing their PAID and fully licensed games.
      So DRM is a big no-go and no-buy for me and I really rarely make exceptions.
      Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Originally posted by ivanovic View Post
        Hmm, I bought the Windows version ages ago when there was no Gold edition yet. Spent many hours with the game. And I would seriously consider buying it (again), if they made a version for the Pandora. That is it would have to be "adjusted" to have it run on ARM and some special things regarding controls and display resolution would have to be done, too. Beside this I *think* it *might* just be powerful enough for this game, though it is probably a borderline case...
        Lemme see what I can do for that request. Right now, Michael's sitting on the fence on things and while I am doing a few projects for LGP (unofficial, in my spare time...) for the Pandora along with doing at least Caster and (eventually...) Europa Universalis 2, it's not a final decision to get things like Sacred over onto it (if it'll even fit... ).

I need to get the things on my plate a little more done before I go to him with a request like that. I'm sure if it looks remotely compelling to him (and I'm thinking it might once I get a few things over onto Pandora for him...), he'd allow me to either do the work or to mentor one of the other consultants in doing the work.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
          I already did.

DRM is on the game, it's not a sufficiently sure fire "Hit" for me that I'm going to make an exception for it. (There are two games which are: Civ, and HoI)

Comment

At least one of the big reason for Linux DRM is one of the reasons Linux gaming will never, ever take off this way. Yes, of course people feel entitled to play the game they've bought for Windows on Linux. I also feel entitled to play AACs bought from the iTunes music store on Linux. Honestly, people never feel they should have to pay twice for the "same thing", and as much as LGP would like to consider them two different things they aren't in people's minds.

"How many people want feature X?" then divide development cost by X has never worked well for any features, not so when it's "Linux support" either. You consider how much you can increase your total sales, and if it's greater than the development cost you do it but keep selling it as the same product. If I bought Microsoft Excel I couldn't pick what spreadsheet functions I need, you buy the package. Compared to the cost of developing the features that means you make a lot of money on some people and less on others.

I did buy World of Goo for Linux, or rather the one license for all platforms. Despite the single-day sales record, I'm pretty sure they had a lower margin on Linux sales. But I'm also sure they made money, money they never ever would have made with a special 40$ Linux version with DRM to "cover their costs".

Maybe Sacred Gold can be profitable at 27 GBP / 38 USD, but if so I can swear that if you could sell "Sacred Gold, now available for Windows and Linux, no DRM for 9.95$" at GOG/Linux sites and create more than 4x the sales surge. Wouldn't know what was Linux and Windows sales though, which would be LGPs problem. I'd buy that but not this. Compared to the bargain bin it'd soon buy me a separate Wintendo PC for less.

Comment

Originally posted by RobbieAB View Post
              I already did.

DRM is on the game, it's not a sufficiently sure fire "Hit" for me that I'm going to make an exception for it. (There are two games which are: Civ, and HoI)
              Heh... I guess you'd have passed on the Windows version if you were into that sort of thing. Anything other than the currently offered GoG download version of Sacred has DRM in it.

Comment

Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
                The GoG version is a WINDOWS version and you're buying it as such.

Each time you do something along those lines you send a message to the studios and publishers that you actually WANT to buy WINDOWS titles.

Seriously.

I'm not going to twist people's arms to go and buy it (partly because I've a relationship with LGP (Indicated by the tag on my handle here...)) but in the same breath, I'd be disinclined to give the wrong message just because "it's cheaper".

One of the things everyone has to realize is that as long as you keep equating what is a new title on Linux with "an old title", which might be the case on Windows, you're going to be waiting a LONG time for Linux specific titles unless they're indie stuff like Caster.
                i shouldn't have mentioned the "cheaper" part because that really distracted me from my main love affair with GoG; zero hassle, zero DRM, zero registration.

if LGP gave me that i would buy Sacred Linux right now, regardless of price and regardless of the fact i bought the GoG version.

Comment

Originally posted by R3MF View Post
                  i shouldn't have mentioned the "cheaper" part because that really distracted me from my main love affair with GoG; zero hassle, zero DRM, zero registration.
                  Heh... Windows sale. Each purchase of one of GoG's copies without a Linux version (and I'm working on fixing that one too...) counts as a vote FOR Windows.

Why keep buying something that isn't intended for your platform of choice? Running with WINE isn't the answer. Really, it isn't.

if LGP gave me that i would buy Sacred Linux right now, regardless of price and regardless of the fact i bought the GoG version.
                  Considering that my remark indicated that they seem to be the ONLY parties that have published with no DRM (nobody else has shipped without it...), and that I wonder what they did to get signoff from Ascaron and their Windows publisher on that one...

Comment

believe me that i love to support games, and would love to do so on linux too.

i even buy games that i think are worth supporting for the concepts they introduce, regardless of whether i get around to playing them.

but i won't re-buy the same game when it keeps DRM.

i have re-bought some games from gog precisely because they provide me with a fully patched, no drm, offline archivable game at an affordable price.

Comment

If you want a more recent discussion on LGP's DRM (with Michael @ LGP providing answers on this), take a look at the blog posting on it.

Comment

Working...
                      X