The OpenArena topic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

@Leilei

Have you checked 'unlagged hitscan' in the options?
    Nope, but if this helps why it's not enabled?

Comment

Why does it suck?

I'd like to solve this bug. I know this bug exists, but I can't seem to reproduce it myself.

Be brutally honest. The reason why i'm asking here, and not my board is for less pro/competitive-gaming bias, and more on the casual enthusiast view.
      Good. I like to be brutally honest.

It's not down to minor details like some rubbish sounds or a couple of models out of place. We players can live with that sort of low quality stuff as long as the game is fun to play.

1) Very limited contributions.

The goals of OA in terms of being made out of 100% free assets are great and they surely are appreciated amongst many of us. However, YOU failed at conveying the reasons why these are desirable and noble goals. YOU managed to piss too many people off---and people with the best intentions who just wanted to contribute to the project. It is hard to find people (and even more so skilled people) willing to spend their time to improve a project like this, and yet many showed up in 'your board' only to be completely ignored or answered in a rude way. There is no justification for this. If tact is not your strong point, delegate some responsibility on those who may have a clearer sense of how to deal properly with humans. Actually, you wouldn't even need to do that if you just left some general guidelines about where the project is going to, about how to contribute, and what criteria to follow for those contributions to be accepted.

I remember the textures issue some good months ago. A perfect example of how not to deal with a problem. As usual, after a period of silence decision arrives from above and everything is scrapped. If dealt with otherwise, the net result would probably be the same (non free textures are non free textures no matter how much we chat about it) but perhaps some people would not have left and everybody could learn from past mistakes. There are more examples like this; a special mention deserve the many threads where it was asked how to contribute music to the project.

2) Extremely low quality checking.

Let's be fair, it is non existent. Otherwise you explain me how is it possible that one version of the game can ship with missing sounds or outstanding bugs like players getting stuck in the middle of a match. This sort of problems would be easily solved if you had built a nice community/environment where players would be more willing to test beforehand and give useful feedback.

But it's not just bugs. Bugs are understandable. One of the main problems is the quality of maps, which is where players actually expend their time. Your anti-competitive stand is well known (and quite negative, by the way); however, when most experienced players think that this or that map suck, there possibly is some truth to it. In plain terms: a good chunk (most?) of the OA levels are an insult to players. This is not your fault, though, at least directly; but again, had you managed to surround the project with a more positive atmosphere (*) your mappers would be more likely to get feedback from experienced, interested players.

If you want specific ideas from people who actually PLAY the game (and even create some content), you know where to find them. Maybe it's not too late.

(*) No, indiscriminate banning is not the best way to achieve that.

Comment

Too bad this thread isn't about me. It's about the OpenArena project, not my sole judgment on weeding out the forum trash on my forum. My strictness of what goes in is what keeps the project Free. FUDing over troublemakers banned in an obvious zero-tolerance drama policy is just pointless.

Originally posted by L33F3R View Post
        i was going to say that, but i feared insulting the programming base. If i myself was a programmer I wouldn't hesitate but sense im not, I dont have the experience to back up such claims.
        You could say that but you would be overlooking the new implmementations of new game types (like Domination and) that are often overlooked!
        Last edited by leilei; 12 July 2009, 11:19 AM.

Comment

1 thing that caught my eye is the mapping situation. The maps are in fact garbage. Some of them are of decent quality I will admit but the vast majority are in a sorry state.

I put an offer on the table to assist in the creation of new content.

Comment

1 thing that caught my eye is the mapping situation. The maps are in fact garbage. Some of them are of decent quality I will admit but the vast majority are in a sorry state.

I put an offer on the table to assist in the creation of new content.
            I second that notion. The map quality is lacking in lots of instances. They need more experimenting and beta-testing for maneuvres during DMing.

Comment

i would also have to say its the maps.

Comment

The single biggest thing would be the rocket launcher, then the maps IMO.

Comment

meh. Issue aswell but I wouldn't say its that major. Weapon issues are from the individuals perspective. When maps are hard on the eyes everyone suffers. The layouts are worse then the architecture.

Comment

When maps are hard on the eyes everyone suffers.
                    You play FPS's with a screen? Weird....

Comment

only 3/4 of the time. It adds challenge when you dont.

Comment

Working...
                      X