Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valve Publishes Packages For Their Linux Distribution

Phoronix: Valve Publishes Packages For Their Linux Distribution

For Valve's forthcoming Linux-based Steam gaming console the first packages are starting to emerge within a package repository on the SteamPowered web-server...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

As I thought before, Ubuntu is becoming an "standard" for Linux distributions.

Well, less time maintaining different distros, is more time to polish the user experience.

Is not as bad as we think, even we have derivatives of it that maintain some freedom.

Comment

I just hope the steambox is at a good price range from competitors.

not sure if they will use the "5 year, but expensive" no upgrade model or be more like Ouya and be very affordable with avg. hardware but then release upgrades like every 2 years.

I mean the SB will be to standard linux what Ouya will be to android.

Comment

Thought that Plymouth do not work with proprietary blobs..

So they will use Nvidia hw? AMD what do you think about it? Lost nice sale bust do to poor gpu driver (and especially poor update policy for new X.org/kernel releases, people who want to build solutions do not like to wait..)

On the other hand, does Nvidia gpu driver support pure OpenGL ES 3.0 (that is: can we create OpenGL ES 3.0 context?)

Comment

I was thinking the same thing: Are we to interpret this as being a rather definitive sign that they are using Nvidia?

Comment

Why?

Why nobody really thinks about Intel HW? The upcoming GPUs with dedicated memory could have some nice power and with some ULW CPU the box could be really small and quiet + the driver is FOSS...

Comment

Originally posted by przemoli View Post
              Thought that Plymouth do not work with proprietary blobs..
              It works, but usually in a non-native resolution.

Originally posted by Redi44 View Post
              Why nobody really thinks about Intel HW? The upcoming GPUs with dedicated memory could have some nice power and with some ULW CPU the box could be really small and quiet + the driver is FOSS...
              Because it's upcoming. They can't depend on promises alone.

Comment

Intel's HW is not powerful enough for any serious games. Also, their drivers are open source, but pretty crappy. Compare their performance to their Windows counterpart.

Also, Intel's drivers suck at 2D too. I use Gentoo and every second intel driver release screws something up.

Comment

Stop kidding. Intel hardware is way too slow for games. I'm glad they have chosen Nvidia, because it's simply the best choice. Furthermore, Ubuntu is turning to Qt and this is another reason to like it.

Comment

Originally posted by Serge View Post
                    I was thinking the same thing: Are we to interpret this as being a rather definitive sign that they are using Nvidia?
                    It's the only sane choice with AMD's current state of graphics drivers.

Comment

Working...
                    X