Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Quick Tour Of Oracle Solaris 11

Phoronix: A Quick Tour Of Oracle Solaris 11

Solaris 11 was released on Wednesday as the first major update to the former Sun operating system in seven years. A lot has changed in the Solaris stack in the past seven years, and OpenSolaris has come and gone in that time, but in this article is a brief look through the brand new Oracle Solaris 11 release.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Michael, please, next time use PNG for screenshots.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
      Michael, please, next time use PNG for screenshots.
      Why? Jpeg looks fine and takes up a lot less space.

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
        Not necessarily true. Especially for system screenshots. Example: http://imgur.com/HAU7i,Yl2M5 (jpg-80: 131 KiB, png: 68 KiB).

Comment

optipng -o7 image.png

Works especially well with a limited color palette like in screenshots.

Comment

wondered why they didnt move to gnome-shell

maybe next version unless they going to support matte

Comment

Just keep silent, this way you won't look stupendously stupid.

Comment

roll back files to a later date
                Solaris 11 even knows what your files will look like tomorrow. Not that's what I call AI!

Comment

Facebook know everything youv ever done. Oracle know everything you ever will do. If they merge, it will be the end of the world as we know it

Comment

i still want to know what exactly makes solaris a cloud os, what makes it so much better for virtualization, and what it has to offer over linux or free-bsd at this point.

as for everyone fighting over jpg and png - jpg DOES look fine depending on how compressed it is, and jpg is ideal for websites because it is a bit faster than png and it gets the image out there and thats all we need. i don't think the little bit of lossy quality is a big deal when we're looking at an OS screenshot for only a few seconds. personally i don't really care, png is fine with me. but wow some of you are hostile to an unnecessary level.

Comment

Working...
                    X