Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 12.10 Is Ready To Enter The Zoo

Phoronix: Ubuntu 12.10 Is Ready To Enter The Zoo

It's release day today for Ubuntu 12.10, which was developed under the animal codename of "Quantal Quetzal", and boasts many new features...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

AFAIC, UBUNTU gone to the ZOO long ago

Comment

it's a joke of an OS because of X.org and pulseaudio. Also because you need to add PPA to get the latest apps. also because of lack of itunes and office.

Comment

Originally posted by garegin View Post
        also because of lack of itunes and office.
        Amarok. Google docs.

Comment

it's a joke of an OS because of X.org and pulseaudio. Also because you need to add PPA to get the latest apps. also because of lack of itunes and office.
          Please people,

Comment

It's out now.

Comment

It does not work with Radeon 7870

Intel i5 2500 + Radeon 7870, standard setup.

It works only with the default driver which is dog slow.
              With fglrx it works only up to the login screen, after that no desktop, not even terminal (ctrl + alt + F*).

Nice work AMD, Canonical and Kernel guys.

Comment

This is because your Radeon is too new for the OSS-driver and the software-based LLVMpipe-driver is used.

With fglrx it works only up to the login screen, after that no desktop, not even terminal (ctrl + alt + F*).
                The latest fglrx-driver which is included in Ubuntu 12.10 should support your card. But fglrx is known to be a bit shaky.

Blame AMD for not releasing a proper driver for your card and/or full specs in time to the kernel developers. Canonical can only pick the work of the kernel developers and they can't to magic.

Comment

Originally posted by zoomblab View Post
                  Intel i5 2500 + Radeon 7870, standard setup.

I had kernel headers missing for some reason. Stupid I know.
                  Make sure to have "linux-headers-generic"(except if you want pae etc, do accordingly), then reinstall fglrx/fglrx-updates(apt-get install --reinstall).
                  That worked for me. Oh, and "amdconfig --initial -f" ..(as root always)

Don't know if this can fix it for you.

Comment

Much the same way Windows8 is a joke of an OS because it lacks iPhoto and Garage Band. In reality you can run most of MS Office suite on Linux, you just shouldn't. And Banshee has support for iDevices, or so I hear. Wouldn't touch them with a barge pole myself, but there you go.

I'm with you on pulseaudio and the entire Unix/Linux graphics stack train wreck though. There's a reason every modern desktop OS (by that I mean designed since early 80s) eschews network transparency and the window manager architecture. It was great for thin client terminals in the age of ye olde 10base2, but has to be hacked around with all sorts of barely working extensions to support functionality people demand from a desktop (e.g., full screen or windowed 1080p video with no tearing at the same time as 3d applications are running while compositing UI).

Pulse likewise has the wrong goals. I can count the times I've wanted to easily play a movie soundtrack on some remote machine instead of the one I'm using on the toes of one hand. Low latency and minimal resource use is something I look for every time.

Good news is Wayland will drag the Linux graphics stack into this millenium kicking and screaming, and it's possible to replace pulseaudio with alsa without too much pain.

Comment

Working...
                    X