Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• System Frame-Buffer Bus Proposed For Linux

Phoronix: System Frame-Buffer Bus Proposed For Linux

A System Frame-buffer Bus has been proposed for the Linux kernel. The focus of this new bus is to address the problem of many different graphics drivers, e.g. DRM and FBDEV, attempting to access the graphics card's frame-buffer and no clean way for addressing control of it...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I thought that's what KMS was for but I guess that was only half the problem.

Comment

Sounds like a step closer to being able to have a mixed set of GPU's in a system.

Comment

Originally posted by Chewi View Post
        dvdhrm would have to confirm but this MIGHT be the solution to "KMSCON + Plymouth" problem I posted about in the "Linux Kernel Console is being killed off" thread.

Basically KMSCON wants exclusive access (and is given it since it ran first) then running plymouth --show-splash, plymouth wants exclusive access but can't get it cuz KMSCON has it, and theres no easy way to unload KMSCON, bring up plymouth, eventually unload plymouth, and then reload KMSCON
        All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Why not just drop FBDEV, then we only have DRM.
          With only one driver we don't need any extra infrastructure for switching between drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by Chewi View Post
            KMS is also the problem, given the case you boot with EFI-Stub-support. This really needs to be done!

Comment

Would this help in being able to switch/reload graphics drivers "on the fly" sometime?

Comment

Working...
              X