Xamarin 2.0, Their New Code IDE Is Not For Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by zezba9000 View Post
    Well if you just don't like "banshee" i'm with you there... But I use Mono heavily and its a very stable platform for application development. A language with a good IDE and syntax can greatly improve a developers productivity and help them resolve bugs. Also I wont be a big fan of Ubuntu(which it sounds like your using) until they move there software over to a rolling release and let the developers handle bugs fixes when there found, rather then forcing everyone to use outdated bugged software for 6 months. Maybe Ubuntu 14 will be the one

As a end user your opinion matters, but from a technical stand point, i'm telling you there is nothing wrong with Mono itself. If anything "banshee" was written poorly. When Mono 3 comes out, there will be even more reason for developers to use it as it now has MS's open source stack and huge performance increases. Ill be releasing games for Linux with Mono. Until something replaces C# for my needs I have to use it. At the moment nothing compares for my targets.
    I've tried every mono application and all of them were unstable mess. Banshee was simply unusable while tomboy was heavier than Firefox. F-spot was much slower than its Vala equivalent, so I see no point in using this shit. When mono3 goes out it should be completely ignored by Linux community, because it's just m$ crap.

Comment

Not actually true.

Xamarin Studio is a branded build of MonoDevelop trunk - a bit like Chrome versus Chromium.

All the new Xamarin Studio changes are Free Software, and available right now in MonoDevelop git, and work fine on Linux (Xamarin Studio is still GTK+2, even on OSX)

Comment

Originally posted by newwen View Post
        Indeed. Thank god Gnome didn't follow the Mono. De Icaza and Mono had become Microsoft's Trojan horse and they do indeed receive $ from Microsoft. According to M$ ?Every piece of code written to our standards is a small victory?
        Instead, GNOME is following Javascript. AKA ECMA-262. Co-authored by... Microsoft. Good job!

Comment

Originally posted by Pawlerson View Post
          I've tried every mono application and all of them were unstable mess. Banshee was simply unusable while tomboy was heavier than Firefox. F-spot was much slower than its Vala equivalent, so I see no point in using this shit. When mono3 goes out it should be completely ignored by Linux community, because it's just m$ crap.

What he' saying is the apps are a mess, and mono itself is well enough a working language.
          Hi

Comment

Reality:

Comment

Reality:

Comment

Well, I guess I got all worked up over nothing. Even the article said Windows and OSX though and left out Linux, so I almost felt like this wasn't phoronix hate spin for once. It seems disengenuous for them to leave out Linux as the target of their development studio when developers are by far the largest workforce users of GNU oses.

Originally posted by artivision View Post
                What is a "static bytecode language"? The only thing that is static is a compiler. If i write a C++ program i can staticaly compile it for x86 for example, or i can compile it with LLVM if i have a C++ front-end for LLVM and the binary will be equaly fast wile halfe the size.
                Statically typed bytecode targeted language. Like Java, not like Scala. Not static vs dynamic linking.

Comment

Originally posted by zanny View Post
                  It seems disengenuous for them to leave out Linux as the target of their development studio when developers are by far the largest workforce users of GNU oses.
                  Xamarin isn't a Linux company. Xamarin Studio doesn't have an official Linux release, as Xamarin.Android and Xamarin.iOS aren't available for Linux.

Xamarin Studio, however, is just a badged version of MonoDevelop 4.0 - like Chrome/Chromium. And MonoDevelop continues to work fine on Linux.

Comment

What the hell this article has to do with Linux???

Comment

Originally posted by Apopas View Post
                      What the hell this article has to do with Linux???
                      Booth mono and monodevelop is released for linux. But the article is kinda off.

Comment

Working...
                      X