No announcement yet.

Linux and Mac are screwed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had just been lurking these forums for a while, and this thread has several times made me want to smack down ninez, and I've let it go. But the absolute arrogance of this Apple fanboy has drawn me out.

usability
    {
    [quote = "ninez"]Apple sucks for usability??? ...[quotes trimmed to get within limit] i would actually have to say the opposite,[/quote]

It's not just his opinion. Apple sucks for usability under any real measure, and in fact they are designed specifically opposing usability concepts. Lets take it apart why don't we?

The Global Menu: Originally Apple implemented the global menu because they thought their users were too stupid to use a two button mouse by default so it allowed them to have a context menu. Now the other thing is that the original Mac OS (pre-OSX) couldn't really multitask, which meant that the Global menu didn't cause the problem it does today. Which is to say: A Global Menu makes it more difficult to use controls between applications. Say I've got two applications side by side, and I've given focus to one but I want to go over and do something with the other. I've got to go over, give focus to the application then I've got to scroll all the way up to the top panel and then I get to do it. Whereas with such menus inside the application I just scroll over the application and click on what I need right then and there. No extra steps, no needless complication. Which means that tool bars inside an application make for much better usability.

On that note, OS X emulates the behavior of Pre-OSX and does not close the program when you close the window, instead you either have to use the key combo or you have to go up to the global menu and tell it to close from there. This is another strike against usability because then the average user is going to close the window thinking that the program is closed not realizing that it is still open and sucking up valuable memory.

Close, Minimize and Maximize Buttons: There is a very good reason that by default on most OSes/Distros these buttons are on the right side of the window. The very simple reason for this is that most people are in fact Right Handed. Left of course works better for people who are Left Handed, but they are a smaller subset of the population than those people who are right handed. And before anyone asks, the Kicker or Start Menu is on the left because menus cascade out to the right, and as english and most other languages read from left to right, it is more natural to cascade from left to right. By putting the standard three control buttons on the left Apple increases the usability for a small subset of the population while putting the rest in a worse situation.

The Dock Bar: Some people like dock bars other people hate them and think they're terrible for usabillity. I'm part of the latter group. The Real problem comes that the Dockbar in actual practice acts as a replacement for a kicker or start menu, rather than an actual dockbar for favorite applications. This means that the icons must shrink in order to accomidate more icons being put on it, Also it exemplifies the accordian behavior which from a usability standpoint is a terrible thing to do because it makes it more difficult to judge how far you actually need to move the cursor.

Also Key Combos, At first glance to most users it would appear that Apple does not infact have key combos, from both the standpoint of Linux users and Windows users. While they do in fact have key combos they are not the standardized ones that everybody but them uses, instead they require you to use the meta-key, which most users will not even recognize as neither Linux nor Windows makes that much use of Meta, they do some but it's not much. Apple is once again breaking cross platform standards and doing their own thing once again removing usability.

Also their compositing for multitasking from what I saw is also rather inferior to the KDE versions of the same effects. From a Windows perspective that would be one thing in its favor, but who ever said Aero actually did anything useful? From a KDE/Linux perspective on the other hand it is not.

}

Security
    {
    [quote = "ninez"]Many of these types of users, are not necessarily super-tech-savvy or extremely computer literate - but even if they are tech-savvy, they still prefer a platform that works as expected, and that doesn't introduce problems (like viruses, amlware,etc) [/quote]

Apple Security is a joke at best; to quote and add my own addition on to what the pwn2own guy said:
    OS X is like an unlocked farmhouse on a country road, Windows is like a building with bars on the windows in a bad part of town, And linux is like a paranoid man in a reinforced concrete bunker, surrounded by barbed wire, land mines, and automated turrets, and he's sitting on a nuke.

Problem #1: If there is only a single user account that account has root-like powers. I was actually rather shocked to learn this but it explained something I had heard about once before, about a friend being able to lock a file down from command line so that the root shouldn't even be able to do anything with it, and yet was able to access it from the GUI. This of course breaks the Unix user security design. Particularly as I expect that most users are going to just make one account and possibly have it just log them in without them doing anything,

Problem #2: Safari opens files automatically by default. Having things like Auto-Open with the browser or Auto-Run/Auto-Mount of anything the user doesn't specify by default is asinine behavior that leaves one very open to things that will be just so happy to take advantage of them. Be they spyware hidden on that flashdrive you picked up out in the parking lot, to a file downloaded from a bad website like this MacDefender,

Problem #3: Firewall is not set up by default. Yes I know this allows for better interoperability between devices but it opens up a big gaping hole to any and all who know how to take advantage of it.

Problem #4: Jobs and his followers are deluded about their protection against viruses and other malware, this means that not only is the full proprietary model going to slow things down to crawling but in their pride they will attempt to ignore it until they cannot any longer.

Another potential hole is that to my knowledge they do not have an equivalent to AppArmor or SELinux and so things can attack along those vectors.
    }

[quote = "ninez"]
    MS is a gamer's platform or for office work. [...] Windows uses 2x the resources to run, than MacOSX Snowy does.
    [/quote]
    If Windows uses 2x the resources to run, and OS X is so much faster would you care to explain two things to me #1 the phoronix benchmarks on OSX vs Windows vs Linux and #2 the fact that Microsoft Office 2008 has lag on the ribbon interface. And no you cannot blame it on Microsoft. The simple fact is that Microsoft sees Apple as another partner to sell software too, and I don't know if it's still the case but for quite some time Microsoft held a 50% share of Apple. Microsoft is largely benevolent towards Apple, it is Apple that has been trying to attack Microsoft. In fact in terms of OS, Microsoft was it's own niche with no one else competing for that specific area until Linux came down towards desktops and Microsoft was going up towards servers. They in fact would be very much so inclined to optimize it specifically for Apple.

[quote = "deanjo"]
    The cases are also extremely well built, far better then most PC's out there.
    [/quote]
    I don't know about you, but I think Silverstone makes some really nice desktop cases, but more on point.. Aluminum is a terrible thing to use in construction of a case, because it turns it into a giant heatsink, But problem: you've got a heatsink, but no active way to cool off this thing having all this heat dumped into it , There is a reason you mount a cpu fan on the heatsink in most configurations, and that applies very much so here. Also aluminum is a notably weak metal which means that fatigue will get to it eventually.

And if what has been noted here several times is true, the fact that they're using aluminum is causing the lids to melt to the body when they're left on, so another reason it's less than reasonable case quality.

I mean unless we were counting aesthetics which then that's a meaningless ranking because its relative and I actually like the look of Thinkpads myself.

[quote = "ninez"]
    "-Shitty price"

yup, they are pricy. i wont disagree there, but the software and hardware is often better integrated. (as is the case with firewire). there latest offering thunderbolt/light-peak is awesome. often Apple bundles new technologies in their hardware which i think partially drives up costs (as they develop a lot of this stuff too).
    [/quote]

Thunderbolt is the proprietary firewire replacement designed by Intel and ordered by Apple, and excluding the market that Firewire already had it will never go anywhere. Most peripherals don't even use the full capacity of USB version 1 let alone version 2 or 3, and it's a standardized interface that everybody is already using anyway. HDMI seems to currently be the VGA(also known as DVI) and DVI-D replacement and not displayport, and so that doesn't help there either. All this is really is Apple saying "We don't like other people's standards, nope not one bit, and so we're going to go and try to make our own.. again"

[quote = "ninez"]
    However, Apple software is very reasonably priced, and similar software for windows, especially what Microsoft packages with it, usually sucks crap.
    [/quote]
    I would have to disagree about pricing, Apple software usually is higher priced from what I've seen (excluding of course Windows and Office) and maintains that higher price for longer (just like Linux software). I will agree however that what is packaged at base is rather blah, and that the KDE SC being an actual SC is far superior.

[quote ="ninez"]
    "-Slower than Gallium3D drivers"

in my own experiences - gallium3d drivers really really suck, and can't even run many 3d apps very well, if at all. the driver is also incomplete. [...] gallium3d is nothing special, or even useful, really. Gallium3d is a last resort.... my old dell inspirion with ATI 1300 used to be able to run compiz back in the day, not having to use Gallium3d, but after about 2.6.33 (KMS) it was broken - now that machine uses Gallium3d - compiz performance is pathetic! so is any and all 3d acceleration.
    [/quote]
    Well that explains it you're using Nvidia, and it sounds like you haven't checked the current state of Radeon. My main beef with radeon is that the power management is still not doing scaling by default, at least under Fedora 15. Which means the card is running full out all the time, but otherwise I find it to have decent performance and in some areas has more features than the ATI blob.

[quote = "ninez"]
    as for the rest. you finger Apple as the only manufacturer with these types of issues, meanwhile it happens with Dell, HP, and every other manufacturer. period
    [/quote]
    Ah yes Dell and HP the other two bottom of the Barrel OEMs that also went with Foxconn. And more on point unless you go to a custom builder or make it yourself, Anything you get from ANY OEM is going to be an unbalanced PoS. More often than not a high end CPU and 8GB (of the slower end of DDR3 or they'll go with DDR2) of ram gets paired with integrated graphics. As a custom builder myself all OEMs tend to anger me in this regard. It also means that I'm only ever likely to deal in Lenovo Thinkpads in terms of laptops, but only when AMD Fusion parts become the mainline there.

[quote = "ninez"]
    As for "dropping laptops" - people who do that are dumb. I would never do that, regardless if a device as been stress tested, or not. that's moronic. - that's like wearing a helmet, and assuming it's okay to repeatedly smash your head off a wall, and then expecting to not kill any brain-cells or have a headache after doing that for a few hours...lol another exampler would be - you buy a pyrex cookware (like a pan), you are well aware - that is smash resistent... but what... does that now mean you should throw it around and drop it over and over....?!?!?
    [/quote]
    Wow that's arrogant. People don't do this stuff on purpose, it's almost always accidental. The other 5% of the time they're showing off a thinkpad.

[quote = "ninez"]
    They get fabbed by Foxxcon in China for bottom price. Hardware? Acer could deliver the same specs for $700, so it's also not the components like CPU and GPU. The flatpanel is realy, seriously to start crying about. Jesus. And they have been sued for it and lost.
    ...Sure, acer can deliver it for cheaper - but ya know what - acer is never a company i would buy from. I've had more problems from Sales-reps that own Acer products than ANY other PC-manufacturer, period. (and that is consistent over the last 4-5yrs).
    [/quote]
    That kind of happens whenever you buy OEM.

[quote = "ninez"]
    Apple's goal is not to be in every office or to be a distributed system - i don't know where you get that idea - that is plain stupid. there focus tends to be multimedia/design, and providing an interface that is intuitive and easy to use.
    [/quote]

Actually no that's not their focus, their focus is on providing computers tailored towards rich stupid people. As shown all the way back with the original Macintosh.

[quote = "ninez"]
    About that nVidia GPU problem again (yes I read it); they should have gone through testing.
    Of course, you are right - Nvidia should be testing any and all GPU's before selling them to other companies like Apple, who plan to integrate nvidia's hardware into thier systems...
    [/quote]
    That responsibility lies not only upon the chip vendor but the OEM themselves. It clearly shows Apple's QA that they did not even check for any problems but assumed a good build and thus did not find it themselves but let the consumer find it out for them. Particularly given we're talking Load-Testing not even anything off the wall but load testing, which is one of the easiest things to test.

[quote = "ninez"]
    it isn't uncommon, nor is it inconsistent. I have probably 10-15 applications that have similar themes...i like it.
    [/quote]

Isn't that kind of a double standard? That it's okay if it's inconsistent as long as there's other programs doing it too?

[quote = "ninez"]
    Apple is a great company with great service and support - I don't know a single dis-satisified Apple customer, nor has anything ever been difficult to get sorted out.

vincent seems like an Apple-hater, very mis-informed and a total Windows fanboy.
    [/quote]
    <sarcasm>And you're definitely not a Microsoft-Hater and total Apple Fanboy</sarcasm>, congratulations. Obviously the frowny face in the OP meant nothing.

and Apple (and specifically Steve Jobs) is a terrible company that is really only good at one thing: Deception

There are things surrounding Jobs that I cannot for the life of me understand, from the cult of Apple to how Jobs stayed off the streets with NeXTSTEP. I mean take a look at that history, not only did he somehow convince Canon to sell him Magneto-Optical drives for below manufacturing cost (No one does that), but the way NeXTSTEP stayed afloat was that companies were pouring money into it. Eventually NeXTSTEP took over Apple and Jobs performed a corporate coup and no one said a word. I can name not one other person whose been able to do what Jobs has done and gotten away with it.

In more recent history we also had the whole SEC debacle as well.

[quote = "ninez"]
    but hey i shouldn't be surprised, coming from the guy (vincent) who also just told me, that Windows is expensive because NT was designed from the ground up to be the best distributed operating system...lol. I guess he doesn't realize that NT in it's original specification didn't even have TCP/IP - it was added after the fact... lol.
    [/quote]
    Being designed to be, and being are two completely different things I hope you realize. Windows is of course designed by Microsoft to be the Best OS ever, it doesn't mean they are, it just means they're designed towards that goal. Almost nobody designs something with the intention of it being second-rate (Apple GUI design has to be one exception otherwise I cannot explain how literally everything breaks Usability standards).

[quote = "ninez"]
    of course they had to throw in that famous steve Jobs interview (which i totally agree with, microsoft doesn't come up with anything original, they are all about aquisitions, straight up buying technology, and obviously they have very little style over at MS)..
    [/quote]

Funny I could say the same thing about a certain fruity company but the opposite about a company with a flag as it's logo.

All of Apple's "Innovations" that I'm aware of are one of four things: Theft, Buy-Outs, They Paid someone else to do it for them, or they're taking credit for someone else's work without paying them.

Examples:
    Theft:
    The Xerox interface, what happened was that Apple went over to Xerox saw the shiny GUI, Jobs used his technology-anti-christ powers to make them sell copies of their OS to him, he brought it back to Apple and had his entire development crew Reverse Engineer it. Later Apple licensed the gui to Microsoft and then proceeded to sue them over it, prompting Xerox to sue Apple over the software it stole.

Buy Outs:
    The Mag-Cord was actually developed by someone else, their ARM team was originally independent, CUPS was not originally Apples, etc... etc...

Paying someone else to do it for them:
    Thunderbolt is a good modern example.

Taking Credit for other's Innovations:
    The GUI, Tablets, anything Microsoft does, anything Linux does, anything anybody does..

Oh but there is something they had first... Viruses, they were absolutely wracked by them, this was pre OS X mind you, however.. They were in fact the first.

Now onto Microsoft that actually does innovate and generally works to improve real usability.

Microsoft took the old 80's paradigm and created a shift, a change for the better, by adding something that some people will try to downplay but was just as important an advancement as tabs are in browsers today. That is to say they invented the concept of a start menu and task bar.

While not being the first to design them, they have been the first to do wide scale adoption of tabbed toolbars also known as ribbons. Once you shed your old way of thinking about menus you can see that tabs as always improve usability, and that it's actually an easier interface to use than the old Office 97 style interface.

Microsoft actually started pushing tablets a long time ago, The problem has always been however that the devices simply weren't powerful enough, Just as most personal computers weren't really properly powerful enough for a GUI OS when Apple was pushing it's Lisa and so it was just a toy for management types who couldn't be bothered to learn the command line.

That being said

V!ncent:
    While this is an excellent UI for tablets I do not tend to think that it'll be that big a hit among home users for their Desktops and Notebooks. Also from a demonstration it appears that that may be their Start menu, in which case they've very well shot themselves in the foot for desktop use. However Plasma Active may very well be quite capable of taking this on and defeating it. Either way It looks to me as if Android and iOS will be marginalized very soon here.

Comment

I had just been lurking these forums for a while, and this thread has several times made me want to smack down ninez, and I've let it go. But the absolute arrogance of this Apple fanboy has drawn me out.

usability
      {
      [quote = "ninez"]Apple sucks for usability??? ...[quotes trimmed to get within limit] i would actually have to say the opposite,[/quote]

It's not just his opinion. Apple sucks for usability under any real measure, and in fact they are designed specifically opposing usability concepts. Lets take it apart why don't we?

The Global Menu: Originally Apple implemented the global menu because they thought their users were too stupid to use a two button mouse by default so it allowed them to have a context menu. Now the other thing is that the original Mac OS (pre-OSX) couldn't really multitask, which meant that the Global menu didn't cause the problem it does today. Which is to say: A Global Menu makes it more difficult to use controls between applications. Say I've got two applications side by side, and I've given focus to one but I want to go over and do something with the other. I've got to go over, give focus to the application then I've got to scroll all the way up to the top panel and then I get to do it. Whereas with such menus inside the application I just scroll over the application and click on what I need right then and there. No extra steps, no needless complication. Which means that tool bars inside an application make for much better usability.

On that note, OS X emulates the behavior of Pre-OSX and does not close the program when you close the window, instead you either have to use the key combo or you have to go up to the global menu and tell it to close from there. This is another strike against usability because then the average user is going to close the window thinking that the program is closed not realizing that it is still open and sucking up valuable memory.

Close, Minimize and Maximize Buttons: There is a very good reason that by default on most OSes/Distros these buttons are on the right side of the window. The very simple reason for this is that most people are in fact Right Handed. Left of course works better for people who are Left Handed, but they are a smaller subset of the population than those people who are right handed. And before anyone asks, the Kicker or Start Menu is on the left because menus cascade out to the right, and as english and most other languages read from left to right, it is more natural to cascade from left to right. By putting the standard three control buttons on the left Apple increases the usability for a small subset of the population while putting the rest in a worse situation.

The Dock Bar: Some people like dock bars other people hate them and think they're terrible for usabillity. I'm part of the latter group. The Real problem comes that the Dockbar in actual practice acts as a replacement for a kicker or start menu, rather than an actual dockbar for favorite applications. This means that the icons must shrink in order to accomidate more icons being put on it, Also it exemplifies the accordian behavior which from a usability standpoint is a terrible thing to do because it makes it more difficult to judge how far you actually need to move the cursor.

Also Key Combos, At first glance to most users it would appear that Apple does not infact have key combos, from both the standpoint of Linux users and Windows users. While they do in fact have key combos they are not the standardized ones that everybody but them uses, instead they require you to use the meta-key, which most users will not even recognize as neither Linux nor Windows makes that much use of Meta, they do some but it's not much. Apple is once again breaking cross platform standards and doing their own thing once again removing usability.

Also their compositing for multitasking from what I saw is also rather inferior to the KDE versions of the same effects. From a Windows perspective that would be one thing in its favor, but who ever said Aero actually did anything useful? From a KDE/Linux perspective on the other hand it is not.

}

Security
      {
      [quote = "ninez"]Many of these types of users, are not necessarily super-tech-savvy or extremely computer literate - but even if they are tech-savvy, they still prefer a platform that works as expected, and that doesn't introduce problems (like viruses, amlware,etc) [/quote]

Apple Security is a joke at best; to quote and add my own addition on to what the pwn2own guy said:
      OS X is like an unlocked farmhouse on a country road, Windows is like a building with bars on the windows in a bad part of town, And linux is like a paranoid man in a reinforced concrete bunker, surrounded by barbed wire, land mines, and automated turrets, and he's sitting on a nuke.

Problem #1: If there is only a single user account that account has root-like powers. I was actually rather shocked to learn this but it explained something I had heard about once before, about a friend being able to lock a file down from command line so that the root shouldn't even be able to do anything with it, and yet was able to access it from the GUI. This of course breaks the Unix user security design. Particularly as I expect that most users are going to just make one account and possibly have it just log them in without them doing anything,

Problem #2: Safari opens files automatically by default. Having things like Auto-Open with the browser or Auto-Run/Auto-Mount of anything the user doesn't specify by default is asinine behavior that leaves one very open to things that will be just so happy to take advantage of them. Be they spyware hidden on that flashdrive you picked up out in the parking lot, to a file downloaded from a bad website like this MacDefender,

Problem #3: Firewall is not set up by default. Yes I know this allows for better interoperability between devices but it opens up a big gaping hole to any and all who know how to take advantage of it.

Problem #4: Jobs and his followers are deluded about their protection against viruses and other malware, this means that not only is the full proprietary model going to slow things down to crawling but in their pride they will attempt to ignore it until they cannot any longer.

Another potential hole is that to my knowledge they do not have an equivalent to AppArmor or SELinux and so things can attack along those vectors.
      }

[quote = "ninez"]
      MS is a gamer's platform or for office work. [...] Windows uses 2x the resources to run, than MacOSX Snowy does.
      [/quote]
      If Windows uses 2x the resources to run, and OS X is so much faster would you care to explain two things to me #1 the phoronix benchmarks on OSX vs Windows vs Linux and #2 the fact that Microsoft Office 2008 has lag on the ribbon interface. And no you cannot blame it on Microsoft. The simple fact is that Microsoft sees Apple as another partner to sell software too, and I don't know if it's still the case but for quite some time Microsoft held a 50% share of Apple. Microsoft is largely benevolent towards Apple, it is Apple that has been trying to attack Microsoft. In fact in terms of OS, Microsoft was it's own niche with no one else competing for that specific area until Linux came down towards desktops and Microsoft was going up towards servers. They in fact would be very much so inclined to optimize it specifically for Apple.

[quote = "deanjo"]
      [/quote]
      I don't know about you, but I think Silverstone makes some really nice desktop cases, but more on point.. Aluminum is a terrible thing to use in construction of a case, because it turns it into a giant heatsink, But problem: you've got a heatsink, but no active way to cool off this thing having all this heat dumped into it , There is a reason you mount a cpu fan on the heatsink in most configurations, and that applies very much so here. Also aluminum is a notably weak metal which means that fatigue will get to it eventually.

And if what has been noted here several times is true, the fact that they're using aluminum is causing the lids to melt to the body when they're left on, so another reason it's less than reasonable case quality.

I mean unless we were counting aesthetics which then that's a meaningless ranking because its relative and I actually like the look of Thinkpads myself.

[quote = "ninez"]
      "-Shitty price"

yup, they are pricy. i wont disagree there, but the software and hardware is often better integrated. (as is the case with firewire). there latest offering thunderbolt/light-peak is awesome. often Apple bundles new technologies in their hardware which i think partially drives up costs (as they develop a lot of this stuff too).
      [/quote]

Thunderbolt is the proprietary firewire replacement designed by Intel and ordered by Apple, and excluding the market that Firewire already had it will never go anywhere. Most peripherals don't even use the full capacity of USB version 1 let alone version 2 or 3, and it's a standardized interface that everybody is already using anyway. HDMI seems to currently be the VGA(also known as DVI) and DVI-D replacement and not displayport, and so that doesn't help there either. All this is really is Apple saying "We don't like other people's standards, nope not one bit, and so we're going to go and try to make our own.. again"

[quote = "ninez"]
      However, Apple software is very reasonably priced, and similar software for windows, especially what Microsoft packages with it, usually sucks crap.
      [/quote]
      I would have to disagree about pricing, Apple software usually is higher priced from what I've seen (excluding of course Windows and Office) and maintains that higher price for longer (just like Linux software). I will agree however that what is packaged at base is rather blah, and that the KDE SC being an actual SC is far superior.

[quote ="ninez"]

in my own experiences - gallium3d drivers really really suck, and can't even run many 3d apps very well, if at all. the driver is also incomplete. [...] gallium3d is nothing special, or even useful, really. Gallium3d is a last resort.... my old dell inspirion with ATI 1300 used to be able to run compiz back in the day, not having to use Gallium3d, but after about 2.6.33 (KMS) it was broken - now that machine uses Gallium3d - compiz performance is pathetic! so is any and all 3d acceleration.
      [/quote]
      Well that explains it you're using Nvidia, and it sounds like you haven't checked the current state of Radeon. My main beef with radeon is that the power management is still not doing scaling by default, at least under Fedora 15. Which means the card is running full out all the time, but otherwise I find it to have decent performance and in some areas has more features than the ATI blob.

[quote = "ninez"]
      as for the rest. you finger Apple as the only manufacturer with these types of issues, meanwhile it happens with Dell, HP, and every other manufacturer. period
      [/quote]
      Ah yes Dell and HP the other two bottom of the Barrel OEMs that also went with Foxconn. And more on point unless you go to a custom builder or make it yourself, Anything you get from ANY OEM is going to be an unbalanced PoS. More often than not a high end CPU and 8GB (of the slower end of DDR3 or they'll go with DDR2) of ram gets paired with integrated graphics. As a custom builder myself all OEMs tend to anger me in this regard. It also means that I'm only ever likely to deal in Lenovo Thinkpads in terms of laptops, but only when AMD Fusion parts become the mainline there.

[quote = "ninez"]
      As for "dropping laptops" - people who do that are dumb. I would never do that, regardless if a device as been stress tested, or not. that's moronic. - that's like wearing a helmet, and assuming it's okay to repeatedly smash your head off a wall, and then expecting to not kill any brain-cells or have a headache after doing that for a few hours...lol another exampler would be - you buy a pyrex cookware (like a pan), you are well aware - that is smash resistent... but what... does that now mean you should throw it around and drop it over and over....?!?!?
      [/quote]
      Wow that's arrogant. People don't do this stuff on purpose, it's almost always accidental. The other 5% of the time they're showing off a thinkpad.

[quote = "ninez"]
      They get fabbed by Foxxcon in China for bottom price. Hardware? Acer could deliver the same specs for $700, so it's also not the components like CPU and GPU. The flatpanel is realy, seriously to start crying about. Jesus. And they have been sued for it and lost.
      ...Sure, acer can deliver it for cheaper - but ya know what - acer is never a company i would buy from. I've had more problems from Sales-reps that own Acer products than ANY other PC-manufacturer, period. (and that is consistent over the last 4-5yrs).
      [/quote]

[quote = "ninez"]
      Apple's goal is not to be in every office or to be a distributed system - i don't know where you get that idea - that is plain stupid. there focus tends to be multimedia/design, and providing an interface that is intuitive and easy to use.
      [/quote]

Actually no that's not their focus, their focus is on providing computers tailored towards rich stupid people. As shown all the way back with the original Macintosh.

[quote = "ninez"]
      About that nVidia GPU problem again (yes I read it); they should have gone through testing.
      Of course, you are right - Nvidia should be testing any and all GPU's before selling them to other companies like Apple, who plan to integrate nvidia's hardware into thier systems...
      [/quote]
      That responsibility lies not only upon the chip vendor but the OEM themselves. It clearly shows Apple's QA that they did not even check for any problems but assumed a good build and thus did not find it themselves but let the consumer find it out for them. Particularly given we're talking Load-Testing not even anything off the wall but load testing, which is one of the easiest things to test.

[quote = "ninez"]
      it isn't uncommon, nor is it inconsistent. I have probably 10-15 applications that have similar themes...i like it.
      [/quote]

Isn't that kind of a double standard? That it's okay if it's inconsistent as long as there's other programs doing it too?

[quote = "ninez"]
      Apple is a great company with great service and support - I don't know a single dis-satisified Apple customer, nor has anything ever been difficult to get sorted out.

vincent seems like an Apple-hater, very mis-informed and a total Windows fanboy.
      [/quote]
      <sarcasm>And you're definitely not a Microsoft-Hater and total Apple Fanboy</sarcasm>, congratulations. Obviously the frowny face in the OP meant nothing.

and Apple (and specifically Steve Jobs) is a terrible company that is really only good at one thing: Deception

There are things surrounding Jobs that I cannot for the life of me understand, from the cult of Apple to how Jobs stayed off the streets with NeXTSTEP. I mean take a look at that history, not only did he somehow convince Canon to sell him Magneto-Optical drives for below manufacturing cost (No one does that), but the way NeXTSTEP stayed afloat was that companies were pouring money into it. Eventually NeXTSTEP took over Apple and Jobs performed a corporate coup and no one said a word. I can name not one other person whose been able to do what Jobs has done and gotten away with it.

[quote = "ninez"]
      but hey i shouldn't be surprised, coming from the guy (vincent) who also just told me, that Windows is expensive because NT was designed from the ground up to be the best distributed operating system...lol. I guess he doesn't realize that NT in it's original specification didn't even have TCP/IP - it was added after the fact... lol.
      [/quote]
      Being designed to be, and being are two completely different things I hope you realize. Windows is of course designed by Microsoft to be the Best OS ever, it doesn't mean they are, it just means they're designed towards that goal. Almost nobody designs something with the intention of it being second-rate (Apple GUI design has to be one exception otherwise I cannot explain how literally everything breaks Usability standards).

[quote = "ninez"]
      of course they had to throw in that famous steve Jobs interview (which i totally agree with, microsoft doesn't come up with anything original, they are all about aquisitions, straight up buying technology, and obviously they have very little style over at MS)..
      [/quote]

Funny I could say the same thing about a certain fruity company but the opposite about a company with a flag as it's logo.

All of Apple's "Innovations" that I'm aware of are one of four things: Theft, Buy-Outs, They Paid someone else to do it for them, or they're taking credit for someone else's work without paying them.

Examples:
      Theft:
      The Xerox interface, what happened was that Apple went over to Xerox saw the shiny GUI, Jobs used his technology-anti-christ powers to make them sell copies of their OS to him, he brought it back to Apple and had his entire development crew Reverse Engineer it. Later Apple licensed the gui to Microsoft and then proceeded to sue them over it, prompting Xerox to sue Apple over the software it stole.

Buy Outs:
      The Mag-Cord was actually developed by someone else, their ARM team was originally independent, CUPS was not originally Apples, etc... etc...

The GUI, Tablets, anything Microsoft does, anything Linux does, anything anybody does..

Oh but there is something they had first... Viruses, they were absolutely wracked by them, this was pre OS X mind you, however.. They were in fact the first.

Now onto Microsoft that actually does innovate and generally works to improve real usability.

Microsoft took the old 80's paradigm and created a shift, a change for the better, by adding something that some people will try to downplay but was just as important an advancement as tabs are in browsers today. That is to say they invented the concept of a start menu and task bar.

While not being the first to design them, they have been the first to do wide scale adoption of tabbed toolbars also known as ribbons. Once you shed your old way of thinking about menus you can see that tabs as always improve usability, and that it's actually an easier interface to use than the old Office 97 style interface.

Microsoft actually started pushing tablets a long time ago, The problem has always been however that the devices simply weren't powerful enough, Just as most personal computers weren't really properly powerful enough for a GUI OS when Apple was pushing it's Lisa and so it was just a toy for management types who couldn't be bothered to learn the command line.

That being said

V!ncent:
      While this is an excellent UI for tablets I do not tend to think that it'll be that big a hit among home users for their Desktops and Notebooks. Also from a demonstration it appears that that may be their Start menu, in which case they've very well shot themselves in the foot for desktop use. However Plasma Active may very well be quite capable of taking this on and defeating it. Either way It looks to me as if Android and iOS will be marginalized very soon here.

Comment

usability
        {

}

Security
        {

}

[quote = "ninez"]
        [/quote]

[quote = "deanjo"]
        [/quote]

[quote = "ninez"]
        "-Shitty price"

[/quote]

[quote = "ninez"]
        [/quote]

[quote ="ninez"]

[/quote]

[quote = "ninez"]
        [/quote]

[quote = "ninez"]
        [/quote]

[quote = "ninez"]
        [/quote]

[quote = "ninez"]
        [/quote]

[quote = "ninez"]
        [/quote]

[quote = "ninez"]
        [/quote]

[quote = "ninez"]

[/quote]

[quote = "ninez"]
        [/quote]

[quote = "ninez"]
        [/quote]

Examples:
        Theft:

Buy Outs:

Comment

V!ncent:
          While I do agree that Windows 8 will make an excellent UI for tablets, I don't see it happening so much for desktops or notebooks, It's a very touch oriented thing, and we'll obviously have to wait to see if it's confirmed or not but in another presentation they were having that been the "Start Page" which it went to when he clicked on the start menu button.

Personally I'm going to wait on Plasma active to mature before I fully place my bets (I'm actually rooting for KDE/Plasma Active.) however I think both Android and iOS are going to fall to a niche here pretty soon, with Plasma Active (hopefully) or Windows 8 as the winner for tablets, and up to netbooks. Plasma Active should take away the Phone sector, but winphone7 has shown how sucessful this interface is for a phone formfactor..

Comment

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
            [quote = "deanjo"]
            I don't know about you, but I think Silverstone makes some really nice desktop cases, but more on point..[/quote]

I prefer coolermaster cases as they usually have a bit more "meat" on the bones (such as my Cosmos cases) but I am extremely familiar with Silverstones cases and put side by side to a Mac Pro case the Silverstone cases are really flimsy (Mac Pro's aluminum is twice the thickness).

Aluminum is a terrible thing to use in construction of a case, because it turns it into a giant heatsink,
            That is a bonus and not a hinderence. Typical plastic cases retain heat as they are a poor conductor of heat allowing far more heat sensitive components (such as caps) on the inside to degrade at an accelerated rate.

But problem: you've got a heatsink, but no active way to cool off this thing having all this heat dumped into it ,
            You have all the active cooling capability that you can put in just the same as a plastic case. Difference being is that the additional aluminum provides extra area for the heat to dissipate too which is cooled as well from that same active cooling.

There is a reason you mount a cpu fan on the heatsink in most configurations, and that applies very much so here. Also aluminum is a notably weak metal which means that fatigue will get to it eventually.
            There is a reason why heatsinks are not made out of plastic as well. Also plastics are far more susceptible to fatigue then aluminum.

Gotta call BS on this one given that the lids are made of aluminum as well which has a melting point of 1220 degreees F. Your system board would be a puddle of plastics electrolytes before any such melting of the case would occur.

Comment

I prefer coolermaster cases as they usually have a bit more "meat" on the bones (such as my Cosmos cases) but I am extremely familiar with Silverstones cases and put side by side to a Mac Pro case the Silverstone cases are really flimsy (Mac Pro's aluminum is twice the thickness).
              eh.. For desktop use I'm not looking for something that I'm going to stop a bullet with necessarily. Instead selling points for me are things that convenience me as a builder such as being a tool-less case.

That is a bonus and not a hinderence. Typical plastic cases retain heat as they are a poor conductor of heat allowing far more heat sensitive components (such as caps) on the inside to degrade at an accelerated rate.

You have all the active cooling capability that you can put in just the same as a plastic case. Difference being is that the additional aluminum provides extra area for the heat to dissipate too which is cooled as well from that same active cooling.
              Yes key word here is can, now that's all fine and good for desktop use, but laptops are known for not being the best about setting up their active cooling paths. Dells in particular in my experience tend to be particularly bad about such things.

Also for cooling purposes wouldn't you actually want it to be thinner? On the same principle that a thin finned heat sink is a lot more efficient than a thick finned one.

Gotta call BS on this one given that the lids are made of aluminum as well which has a melting point of 1220 degreees F. Your system board would be a puddle of plastics electrolytes before any such melting of the case would occur.
              Well I'm not entirely sure on the specifics but it was mentioned multiple times in one of the Gnome 3 threads and not questioned as the reason for not allowing it to run while the lid was closed was due to Macbooks lids melting to their case, though in reality it appears more to have to deal with the Gnome people thinking of their users as idiots. I'm not entirely sure what the method was supposed to be as this had been the first I'd heard of it but I can see how that would work from a heat perspective, because the aluminum unibody frame would create a heat trap right in that area between the keyboard and the screen which melted something, doesn't necessarily have to be the case itself, assuming what was said there actually holds water. That would be why you don't want the inside surfaces to be a heatsink, but instead work to block on those surfaces because a hot keyboard is only nice on a really cold day.

However I could possibly see a use case for the outside surfaces well maybe just the bottom of the laptop, using aluminum.

Comment

@Luke_wolf

first off, learn how to proper use quote's on phoronix forums. quite frankly, if your not capable or knowledgable enough to do something as simple as that, i can't really take anything you have to say very seriously. not being able to do basic things like properly use quotes - as in you can't even close them properly!! ~ this makes you look like you don't even know how to use a computer...

second, learn to articulate yourself, and be more concise. Drop the stupid comments like steve jobs being the technology-anti-christ, that has no basis in Reality. the fact of the matter is that jobs, has been involved in projects that have influenced and contributed much of what today are technologies in common use on all platforms (you can read my comments on NeXT at the bottom).

OS9 multitasked fine (mutlitasking was introduced in system 5) - You obviously never owned a MacOS 9 system, otherwise you would know better. I could run protools and browse the web, look through the file-system, etc. On multi-tasking you need to do some reading, i recommend familiarizing yourself with both "co-operative mutli-tasking" and "preemptive multi-tasking"...

microsoft didn't come up with preemptive-multitasking either, it pre-dates Microsoft and was a Unix thing (late-60s).

your reasoning behind why you think apple uses a global menu is moronic. plain and simple it saves screen real-estate and puts all menu's in one place. Just like Ubuntu's reasoning for moving into a global-menu (not that i use Ubuntu or unity, just saying). you fundementally seem to not understand basic concepts and are delusitional.

Microsoft are the kings of aquisitions and mergers. trying to act like Apple is worse for that, is hilarious. Apple doesn't have anywhere near the buying power of MS. Microsoft has tried their best. Bill gates thought there would be only room for one OS, just like he thought no one would ever need more than 64k of memory - he was wrong on both accounts. microsoft is losing MarketShare not gaining it, and they won't succeed in the tablet world either. Linux and Apple will dominate it. Paying microsoft licenses for many tablet companies isn't worth it.

yes, Apple borrowed ideas from Xerox, which was great! - being as Xerox Exec's didn't seethe value in the technology. they were smart for doing that and i don't need a history lesson thanks. Yes, it was silly for Apple to sue microsoft over that crap - but notice how long it took xerox to realize the value??? - they didn't even see it until then!

..and if you want to go one about crap like that - microsoft didn't even invent their own OS - they bought what was essentially a derivative of CP/M. Most of the hardwork being done at the time, was actually done by Gary kildall of Digital Research. Who wrote the 1st programming language and OS for the micro-processer. he also wrote "concurrent-dos" (which i probably still have on a floppy disk) and it blew the shit out of MS-DOS. - think multi-tasking, windowing/tab-type interface for DOS, and interoperability between applications...

Intel AND Apple developed thunderbolt together, they have a partnership - you are an idiot. and just like Vincent are nothing more than a dis-gruntled, mis-informed Windows fanboy/apple-hater. so many of your statements prove that....like your stupid statement about Apple being geared at "rich stupid people".

No, Apple historically has always been into bringing innovation to their platform, they have always been geared towards creative professionals and ease of use... Maybe many of these people are successful and have money, but that doesn't make them stupid - your the only one who looks stupid when you make assumptions and ignorant comments like that. maybe you're just unsuccessful in life, and need to hate on people who have worked hard and made something of themselves...

I ran OS9 for quite a while (years in fact) - no viruses ever. macOSX no viruses ever! yes, "Elk Cloner" was the first computer virus and was created on/for Apple II systems, in 1981.. But at that time - Microsoft didn't even have an OS at the time, so what is your point exactly??? MS-DOS didn't release until '82 (and wasn't even Microsoft's tehcnology).

you can say that Apple takes credit for everyone's work, and i can't totally disagree with that, to be fair.. I do find some of their patents to be BS... but almost consistently, they implement and push out new technologies onto the masses 9that is adopted!) before most others do, including MS... NeXT was the same way... beacuse sometimes being the first out of the gates, is the smart way to go. It also makes projects more fun to work on... microsoft just folows trends in most cases, they don't set the bar, never have. there is mountains of historical information and documentation that supports what i am saying...

also, microsft nor Apple invented the tablet, or even the concept for that matter - i believe conceptually, the Dynabook (Alan Kay/Xerox) was the where the idea 1st popped up, beyond maybe science-fiction novels..and I believe this was before Apple or Microsft even existed. (somewhere between the mid-1960's and ealry-1970's)

yes, Mac's aren't as secure as linux - but a Mac can be hardened if that is your goal. that's is a non-issue for anyone who understands what is required in hardening an OS. Windows is an insecure piece of junk. Win7 is the 1st version of windows that actually is working towrads having better security model. So, don't sit here and try to make out Windows as having a good security model - any IT professional will tell you otherwise - Windows has always been a running joke in this department for years and years and years.

you can re-affirm that viruses are a problem for Mac, but you are wrong. every single person i know who runs windows has had 1 or more viruses/spyware/malware. no one i know on Mac has EVER had one. In fact, the viruses i have heard about on Mac - are directly related to using MacOffice (surprise, surprise - a microsoft product!).

About Mesa/Gallium3D - you should learn to read properly - I was talking about Mesa using ATI hardware. I use Nvidia with the "Blob"... ( i have several machines at work and home).. Also, I run ArchLinux(bleeding-edge) and am using THE LATEST BUILT FROM GIT - 4 DAYS AGO! I highly doubt too too much has changed in four days.

Microsoft DID NOT invent TABS, nor was it apart of the guidelines and specifications..

- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tab_%28GUI%29

...and!!!

The X window system / *nix systems also had taskbar-like interfaces way before windows, as well. This was not a "microsoft innovation". if i remember correctly Microsoft didn't introduce the taskbar until '95.

NeXtStep didn't take over Apple, Steve jobs went back to Apple and bought Nextstep..Reason to buy NeXtStep???

If you look at the technologies involved in the NextStep project, what was actually developed either by NeXT or were independently on the nextstep platform - they were way ahead of the curve! by almost a decade. the World Wide Web was designed on NeXTStep, so was the first web-browser..that's just a couple of examples. educate yourself, before you open your mouth. Clearly, you have no clue what you are talking about at all.

My Father had a NeXT machine a long time ago, it was by far the most advanced OS of it's day. the interface did feel a little cluttered, but was impressive too... the OS was powerful, had amazing toolkits and much of it's key design concepts are found in Both MacOSX (which is partially based on it) windows, and also Linux - this ins't my opinion, but factual.

anyways, educate yourself. it's pretty obvious that you know little to nothing about the history of conputing. maybe you weren't alive then, or maybe you-re just an ignoramous - either way you don't know shit! you keep making claims that microsoft has come up with so many things - they has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with. they didn't even have TCP/IP until way after the fact. nor did they have proper compositing until Vista. - wow how innovative!
                Last edited by ninez; 10 June 2011, 02:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
                  eh.. For desktop use I'm not looking for something that I'm going to stop a bullet with necessarily. Instead selling points for me are things that convenience me as a builder such as being a tool-less case.
                  Many cases are tool-less including the Mac Pro cases.

Yes key word here is can, now that's all fine and good for desktop use, but laptops are known for not being the best about setting up their active cooling paths. Dells in particular in my experience tend to be particularly bad about such things.
                  Yes many Dells have a horrible cooling path as do many others. The cooling path efficiency however has very little to do with case material but with layout.

Also for cooling purposes wouldn't you actually want it to be thinner? On the same principle that a thin finned heat sink is a lot more efficient than a thick finned one.
                  The reason a heatsinks are finned is that it gives them a large surface area for convection to carry away the heat. FYI the Macs do use such a fin and squirrel cage fan assembly to do this job on the cpu and gpu and have placed them at the outermost back of the case. It is not a case where Apple is using the case as the only source of cooling.

Well I'm not entirely sure on the specifics but it was mentioned multiple times in one of the Gnome 3 threads and not questioned as the reason for not allowing it to run while the lid was closed was due to Macbooks lids melting to their case, though in reality it appears more to have to deal with the Gnome people thinking of their users as idiots.
                  You know which models of Macbooks those users were complaining about? Hint: It wasn't the aluminum version but the older plastic case Macbooks.

I'm not entirely sure what the method was supposed to be as this had been the first I'd heard of it but I can see how that would work from a heat perspective, because the aluminum unibody frame would create a heat trap right in that area between the keyboard and the screen which melted something, doesn't necessarily have to be the case itself, assuming what was said there actually holds water. That would be why you don't want the inside surfaces to be a heatsink, but instead work to block on those surfaces because a hot keyboard is only nice on a really cold day.
                  This is where you are flat out wrong. Aluminum has a far better rate of thermal transfer then the plastics found on laptops. It also gives the heat a much larger area for convection to occur. Plastic on the other hand is an excellent insulator which allows heat to be trapped inside the machine. Why do you think your cooking pots use plastic handles?
                  Last edited by deanjo; 10 June 2011, 08:02 PM.

Comment

Hmm

You know what? I don't actually care who created/copied/innovated that much.

What I care about is who has implemented it, and done the best job. Eg security MS loses. Supporting graphics api's in their newer versions, I'd probably have to give to ms.

Nicest interface of a non customised os probs osx, tho Linux had good customisation.

Laptops usually suck at cooling at full load, that's why we have desktops.

Apple charges more, had good service, cheap os updates. Windows has good games, and it's hardware costs less

Linux let's you do whatever the hell you want with your pc.

Really this argument is sounding so political, but who cares what politics say, it's what is there that matters and is actually useful.

Comment

• Originally posted by zeealpal View Post
                      You know what? I don't actually care who created/copied/innovated that much.

What I care about is who has implemented it, and done the best job. Eg security MS loses. Supporting graphics api's in their newer versions, I'd probably have to give to ms.

Nicest interface of a non customised os probs osx, tho Linux had good customisation.

Laptops usually suck at cooling at full load, that's why we have desktops.

Apple charges more, had good service, cheap os updates. Windows has good games, and it's hardware costs less

Linux let's you do whatever the hell you want with your pc.

Really this argument is sounding so political, but who cares what politics say, it's what is there that matters and is actually useful.
                      most of your perspectives are pretty much the same as mine too. I don't care who copied who, The conversation may be politcial for those two - but for me - i will point out when someone is posting mis-information, whether it is about microsoft, linux MacOSX or whatever - which both Vincent and Luke_wolf are doing in a big way. many of luke's history is incorrect and totally false. Vincent i am almost dead-positive has never even dealt with Apple personally - so shouldn't be commenting on how they treat their own customers - and it is clear both them don't have much experience with Apple.

I said right off the hop MS does gaming best. OSX has got ease of use, good for multimedia, and very few problems arise in day to day usage....

...but for me, Linux is the best hands down - cause i don't care about usability - if i did gentoo and Arch wouldn't have been my last 2 linux installs ..., im not a gamer and can the my system to behave any way i want. (that awesome customization you speak of).

cheerz!

Comment

Working...
                      X