Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radeon VM, DMA-BUF Will Go Into Linux 3.3 Kernel

Phoronix: Radeon VM, DMA-BUF Will Go Into Linux 3.3 Kernel

The Radeon virtual memory (VM) support -- part of the Radeon HD 7000 series upbringing -- is now in the DRM next tree for landing in the Linux 3.3 kernel. Separate from the expected 3.3 graphics pull request, Linaro's "dma-buf" has already been sent to Linus Torvalds for merging into the mainline tree...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: Radeon VM, DMA-BUF Will Go Into Linux 3.3 Kernel

The Radeon virtual memory (VM) support -- part of the Radeon HD 7000 series upbringing -- is now in the DRM next tree for landing in the Linux 3.3 kernel. Separate from the expected 3.3 graphics pull request, Linaro's "dma-buf" has already been sent to Linus Torvalds for merging into the mainline tree...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTAzODQ
    If I'm reading all of the mailing list messages correctly, this is the buffer sharing support that will eventually be needed for sharing/transferring buffers between separate hardware drivers, which could have direct applications with things like Optimus and crossfire-like setups.

Comment

Ah I love these previews. Watering my mouth for the next kernel.
      Yeah that buffer sharing sounds kinda neat. I guess that would also work then between completely different GPUs, a constellation you might find on a bunch of machines.

On the legal review side on radeons I wish we would soon have a real utilization of the UVD ASICs.
      Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Yeah, this would be great for optimus and crossfire, if it weren't using the user-hating EXPORT_SYMBOL_GPL:
        Code:
        $ git diff -M origin/master a125a3945c950caef001f22055bf201a36568533 | grep +EXPORT_SYMBOL
        +EXPORT_SYMBOL_GPL(dma_buf_export);
        +EXPORT_SYMBOL_GPL(dma_buf_fd);
        +EXPORT_SYMBOL_GPL(dma_buf_get);
        +EXPORT_SYMBOL_GPL(dma_buf_put);
        +EXPORT_SYMBOL_GPL(dma_buf_attach);
        +EXPORT_SYMBOL_GPL(dma_buf_detach);
        +EXPORT_SYMBOL_GPL(dma_buf_map_attachment);
        +EXPORT_SYMBOL_GPL(dma_buf_unmap_attachment);

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
          maybe the GPL isn't the problem maybe optimus(nvidia) and crossfire(amd) are the problem!
          Thought AMD's Crossfire was similar to nVidia's SLI?

Comment

I wonder. Is AMD's CrossFire locked by third-party licences? I mean, is there any chance of seeing it implemented in the free driver?

Comment

Working...
            X