X -configure

X crashes with signal 11:
    Backtrace:
    0: X(xf86SigHandler+0x7e)
    1: [0xb8040400]
    2: X(DoConfigure+0x210)
    3: X(InitOutput+0x61a)
    4: X(main+0x296)
    5: /lib/libc.so.6(__libc_start_main+0xe0)
    6: X(FontFileCompleteXLFD+0x20d)

Fatal server error:
    Caught signal 11. Server aborting

Problem:
    I want to run aticonfig --initial, but without a xorg.conf AND the only thing that makes a xorg.conf is "X -configure", there is nothing more i can do here.

This issue has been around since the earliest of 8.xx drivers. so what are the fix?

Which distro are you running ? I thought only F10 was shipping without a conf file but it has newer X and other bits.
    Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
      Which distro are you running ? I thought only F10 was shipping without a conf file but it has newer X and other bits.
      I am using a very customized Slackware base if you must know.

Are you implying that there is NO WAY to make a xorg.conf after installing ATI drivers and that you must be spoon fed one because the drivers screw up the X configure tool??? Believe me the frustration is not directed to anyone but those really bad drivers...

Comment

I'm just saying that this has never been a requirement so it's probably not something we designed or tested for. As we knew F10 was the first distro where this could be an issue, and Fedora is not a supported distro (although we look at Fedora in order to be ready for upcoming RHEL releases).

Why is the driver bad just because it doesn't support something that no supported distro uses ?
        Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
          I'm just saying that this has never been a requirement so it's probably not something we designed or tested for. As we knew F10 was the first distro where this could be an issue, and Fedora is not a supported distro (although we look at Fedora in order to be ready for upcoming RHEL releases).

Why is the driver bad just because it doesn't support something that no supported distro uses ?

Its bad because no other driver (nvidia included) would do something that can make the command "X -configure" seg fault. X -configure is a standard way of producing a xorg.conf when you dont have any configuration files in the system, and it automatically writes the font paths, input devices, system layout sections etc based on the extensions in the system. Spoonfeeding a xorg.conf is definitely not the right way to do things. Incidentally, i believe in the 7.xx versions of ati drivers, "X -configure" actually did work, so not only is it bad in a sense that it messes with normal X operation, its also bad because it is a regression from a previous known to be fixed driver.

Comment

Sorry, let's split this. Segfaulting is bad. I'm less sure that not supporting no-config today is bad.
            Test signature

Comment

Working...
            X