Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu's Unity Next Running On Mir Display Server

Phoronix: Ubuntu's Unity Next Running On Mir Display Server

Canonical developers have hit the milestone of being able to run their "Unity Next" desktop atop the Mir Display Server. The work is still very early, but it shows for Ubuntu Touch they can swap out Android's SurfaceFlinger for Mir...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The proof is in the pudding.

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: Ubuntu's Unity Next Running On Mir Display Server

Canonical developers have hit the milestone of being able to run their "Unity Next" desktop atop the Mir Display Server. The work is still very early, but it shows for Ubuntu Touch they can swap out Android's SurfaceFlinger for Mir...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTM0Mzc
    As long as they can produce results, who's to say they're not moving in the right direction?

Comment

WTF? The Mir I tried doesn't even seem to support cursors or keyboard input. All the keyboard input that I type into a Mir server goes straight through the tty, and launches all windows at 0,0!

I wonder if they're doing something funky like xmir or something

Comment

Originally posted by nerdopolis View Post
        WTF? The Mir I tried doesn't even seem to support cursors or keyboard input. All the keyboard input that I type into a Mir server goes straight through the tty, and launches all windows at 0,0!

Or possibly have a bunch of changes not yet committed to a public repo...

Comment

Originally posted by BO$$ View Post
          Mir will kick wayland's ass like a boss!
          They got a lot of work left to do before theyre even at the same level of functionality as Wayland.
          All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by nerdopolis View Post
            I think that's exactly what's going on. They're just running everything on X, and piping that image on top of Mir.

Comment

This actually isn't particularly new; Mir has been (mostly) able to replace SurfaceFlinger for months, I think. What is new is the use of the HWC 1.1 API, for better vsync, overlays, etc.

That'd be using qmir, the Mir Qt backend. I'm not sure what branch you'd need to replicate that, but I'd expect it to be public. Maybe it's https://code.launchpad.net/~rocket-s...untu-mirserver.

Comment

Desktop Unity Next

Hello,

when will the first desktop version of Unity Next be released for testing? Anytime soon?
                I am really looking forward to this!

Comment

The cons:
                  1. This demo is using Mir for composition. Don't mix that up with being the display server.
                  2. If I were to write a compositor (or display server) that can handle client applications, the first thing I would definetely demo is the ability to open some windows and interact with them. The fact that this is not demonstrated here means that it is (probably) not yet working. In the end, I don't think this is a lot to show.

The pros:
                  1. They did show something. Even if not much, and it didn't take long after the initial announcement. This might mean they have a good pace (though given this is their first demo and that they've been working on Mir for many months now, we will only know definetely if we observe the future frequency of such updates).
                  2. They showed something not on desktop, but on mobile. For me, this means they're integrating mobile support as a first-class citizen, which with time could easily become a real advantage.

Time will tell if Mir is a good or bad thing.

Comment

Originally posted by ultimA View Post
                    [...]
                    2. They showed something not on desktop, but on mobile. For me, this means they're integrating mobile support as a first-class citizen, which with time could easily become a real advantage.
                    [...]

Mir on Android is First-Class citizen. On desktop its Second-Class :P

Since Mir heavily relay on Surface code base, Canonical had head-start on mobile.

And Mir is DISPLAY SERVER, if it run without SurfaceFinger than it's doing work of display server too.

Comment

Working...
                    X