No announcement yet.

id Software Open-Sources ET, RTCW

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sigh, so it looks like ET adds additional terms to the GPL, making it incompatible with other projects:

I doubt you can do this and still call it a GPL license:

Comment

Pretty nice stuff from ID Software <3
      Thank you _o/

Comment

Originally posted by whizse View Post
        Sigh, so it looks like ET adds additional terms to the GPL, making it incompatible with other projects:

I doubt you can do this and still call it a GPL license:
        http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#ModifyGPL
        So strictly speaking what they do seems illegal. Calling it GPL, using the term "GNU" and modifying it.

Comment

GPL3 actually allows some form of this, although I'm not really clear on the details:

Originally posted by GPL3, Section 7
          Notwithstanding any other provision of this License, for material you add to a covered work, you may (if authorized by the copyright holders of that material) supplement the terms of this License with terms:

* a) Disclaiming warranty or limiting liability differently from the terms of sections 15 and 16 of this License; or
          * b) Requiring preservation of specified reasonable legal notices or author attributions in that material or in the Appropriate Legal Notices displayed by works containing it; or
          * c) Prohibiting misrepresentation of the origin of that material, or requiring that modified versions of such material be marked in reasonable ways as different from the original version; or
          * d) Limiting the use for publicity purposes of names of licensors or authors of the material; or
          * e) Declining to grant rights under trademark law for use of some trade names, trademarks, or service marks; or
          * f) Requiring indemnification of licensors and authors of that material by anyone who conveys the material (or modified versions of it) with contractual assumptions of liability to the recipient, for any liability that these contractual assumptions directly impose on those licensors and authors.
          I could see this affecting integration of the code with other GPL3-covered code, but I don't see how it's a fatal flaw on its own.

Comment

Originally posted by Ex-Cyber View Post
            I could see this affecting integration of the code with other GPL3-covered code, but I don't see how it's a fatal flaw on its own.
            There's already a massive off-topic thread on the issues of the GPL, it's strengths and flaws, and the alternatives... there's no need to start it up again.

Comment

The license for this software (whose release as open source is the topic of the article) exercises those clauses in a particular way. There are no alternatives to discuss, and it's not a debate about the GPL in general.

Comment

Can't wait have a decent 64bit alsa/pulseaudio compile...

Comment

Now I can burn Nazi witches without some flame-spitting, flesh-eating ghoul freezing X, again. Thanks iD.

Originally posted by Ex-Cyber View Post
                  All they've done, at least with the single player additional terms, is replace sections 15 and 16, they now say "You are on your own anything and everything that happens is now your fault" in pretentious language that lawyers insist be used to utterly confuse everyone.

Not a big deal.

Comment

Originally posted by yogi_berra View Post
                    Now I can burn Nazi witches without some flame-spitting, flesh-eating ghoul freezing X, again. Thanks iD.

All they've done, at least with the single player additional terms, is replace sections 15 and 16, they now say "You are on your own anything and everything that happens is now your fault" in pretentious language that lawyers insist be used to utterly confuse everyone.

Not a big deal.
                    These terms and condition apply, but are not limited to, sections 15 and 16. You hereby wave the right to the fullest extent that law in your country permits to, but not limited to, building and launching nuclear bombs, chemical bombs or any other lethal projectiles launched by, but not limited to, derivative products of fossile fuels and/or magnetic railguns or any other form of launching that evades any international treaties regarding launching nuclear missiles.

Comment

finally we'll get an alsa-compatible port of rtcw. it was annoying to put up with the oss wrappers for it.

Comment

Working...
                      X