X.Org 7.8 Isn't Actively Being Pursued

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by johnc View Post
    I'm not excluding Mir from that. And I'm not sure what about my statement would indicate that Mir would be exempt from the same criticism.
    Your logic doesnt work regardless if you exclude Mir or not. The fact is that the OSS drivers are in fact real. And if you have a card supported by r600g or any Intel APU then it's damn good support.

Comment

that depends on how long it would take for everyone to port their stuff to gtk3 or qt5.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
        Your logic doesnt work regardless if you exclude Mir or not. The fact is that the OSS drivers are in fact real. And if you have a card supported by r600g or any Intel APU then it's damn good support.
        Yeah... that's nice. That makes Linux competitive with... nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by alanc View Post
          I don't know why I even bother explaining things when people hallucinate to think the complete opposite to be true.
          There's a lot of hallucinating around here. I think someone dropped acid into the water supply.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
            What do you mean "real"? If that means proprietary, then so is Mir. Your logic doesnt work.
            He means nvidia binary drivers. Nothing else matters for some people around here. (not me)

I think we're going to see those by next spring at the latest, anyway.

It's pretty competitive with OSX, which seems to be doing fairly well. That suggests it isn't video driver support that's holding back linux.
            Last edited by smitty3268; 12 August 2013, 01:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
              It's pretty competitive with OSX, which seems to be doing fairly well. That suggests it isn't video driver support that's holding back linux.
              i am pretty sure its the office stack that prevents businesses and home users from switching... if only it would be more mature, more user friendly, feature rich and dependable. im sure windows domination would decrease faster. wasnt MS working on an office stack for linux...?

Comment

Originally posted by jakubo View Post
                i am pretty sure its the office stack that prevents businesses and home users from switching... if only it would be more mature, more user friendly, feature rich and dependable. im sure windows domination would decrease faster. wasnt MS working on an office stack for linux...?
                Red Hat is pretty successful with LibreOffice on RHEL.

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
                  Red Hat is pretty successful with LibreOffice on RHEL.
                  im not sure about OOo in RHEL but when trying to edit any office file containing a pic in ubuntu's libre office i get total crap with no pics at all in it...

Comment

Who's trying to compete? I'm not. I am an admin at a medical management company. The management software we use is a windows app. I use Linux thin clients on all workstations and use a RDP based terminal server to serve out the windows app to the thin clients. For everything else I use native linux applications. The OSS drivers work perfectly for me.

Comment

Originally posted by BO$$
                      The glorious Canonical devs will make Mir work with the proprietary graphics drivers. Can't say the same for the wayland amateurs.
                      Frist they Need to Make Mir Work
                      Last edited by LinuxGamer; 12 August 2013, 10:52 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X