Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 14.04's Firefox & KDE Will Not Easily Support H.264

Phoronix: Ubuntu 14.04's Firefox & KDE Will Not Easily Support H.264

While Firefox supports H.264 videos on Linux since last year, the necessary packages to make this happen are not currently part of Ubuntu 14.04 LTS...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Good news: gstreamer 1.0 will be supported by Firefox 30
    Bad news: It won't be released before June 10th.

Comment

ffmpeg -> libav

What about gstreamer1.0-libav? It's there in trusty and since ffmpeg is consecutively being replaced with libav, this should be the right package for the needed functions. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Comment

What about gstreamer1.0-libav? It's there in trusty and since ffmpeg is consecutively being replaced with libav, this should be the right package for the needed functions. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by sleeksorrow View Post
          Unfortunately, Firefox uses GStreamer 0.10, not 1.0. Until Firefox is updated to use GStreamer 1.0 (apparently set for Firefox 30, according to zxy_thf earlier in this thread), it can't use libav through it.

Comment

The package from Saucy's repos installs fine in 14.10

or for 32 bit:

Download to the desktop, it installs without issues as of now. This is how I play H264 video without enabling Flash anywhere HTML5 is supported.

Comment

You're absolutely right but the problem is that firefox doesn't support gstreamer1.0 yet, only gstreamer0.10. Until that support comes the solution is to take the gstreamer0.10 deb from saucy and use it instead.

Comment

Well, this doesn't sound like much news. Same thing on openSUSE, and everyone knows that you need to add the Packman repository to get all the multimedia stuff.

since ffmpeg is consecutively being replaced with libav
                No it's not, it's the other way round. The only reason I can think of for GStreamer devs to have chosen libav is that it has fewer features, thus it will run on both libav and ffmpeg (it wouldn't necessarily be the case the other way round).

Comment

Originally posted by cynical View Post
                  You're absolutely right but the problem is that firefox doesn't support gstreamer1.0 yet, only gstreamer0.10. Until that support comes the solution is to take the gstreamer0.10 deb from saucy and use it instead.
                  Oh snap, I once again confused version 0.10 and 1.0. Thanks for clarification.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
                    No it's not, it's the other way round. The only reason I can think of for GStreamer devs to have chosen libav is that it has fewer features, thus it will run on both libav and ffmpeg (it wouldn't necessarily be the case the other way round).
                    To be fair, this probably all stems from when ffmpeg was replaced by libav in Debian due to perceived problems with maintenance, and some political nonsense. Now, however, libav is stagnating, and there's pressure to reinstate ffmpeg on Debian(+derivs) because libav is lagging ffmpeg so badly in features.

Comment

Working...
                    X