Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OwnCloud 5.0 Released With New Design

Phoronix: OwnCloud 5.0 Released With New Design

OwnCloud 5.0 was released this morning, the latest major update to the popular open-source cloud storage software suite...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Setup

Is ownCloud easy to setup or does it need much work and configuration to deploy?

Would be pretty cool to run this on a Raspberry Pi or something.

Comment

quite easy indeed

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
      Is ownCloud easy to setup or does it need much work and configuration to deploy?

Would be pretty cool to run this on a Raspberry Pi or something.
      It's quite easy, in fact. I have done this using a Raspberry Pi and a raspbian sd card.
      The easy way is to install the owncloud package :
      Code:
      $>apt-get install owncloud
      and you are done. However, the packages version of owncloud may not be the latest.
      I personally installed lighttpd instead of apache and the latest owncloud zip from the official website, but this method requires more fiddling with configuration files.

Comment

Can can run it on the raspberry pi, I do and it usually works great!

A word of warning though, I updated to Ownloud 5.0 this morning remotely from work, and it bricked my installation....... I have to fix this when I get home.

Comment

Originally posted by dh04000 View Post
          Can can run it on the raspberry pi, I do and it usually works great!

A word of warning though, I updated to Ownloud 5.0 this morning remotely from work, and it bricked my installation....... I have to fix this when I get home.
          Official owncloud 5 release notes tell you to delete everything but Data and config and extract the sources overtop those 2 directories NOT do an in-place upgrade. Did you follow that note? >.>
          All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

I couldnt imagine running this on the raspberry pi, I installed it on an eightcore AMD with 8gb of memory and an SSD and the performance wasnt that great even on the LAN, I suspect that its because of mysql. Large files were quick as were single small files but try syncing a folder with thousands of small files, takes hours. I have tried running it virtualized with NAS as well and many files did not sync. For average users with non critical data it works but if you are syncing thousands of small files it takes a long time. Would love if they updated to use nosql like mongodb or similar.

Comment

Originally posted by philip550c View Post
              I couldnt imagine running this on the raspberry pi, I installed it on an eightcore AMD with 8gb of memory and an SSD and the performance wasnt that great even on the LAN, I suspect that its because of mysql. Large files were quick as were single small files but try syncing a folder with thousands of small files, takes hours. I have tried running it virtualized with NAS as well and many files did not sync. For average users with non critical data it works but if you are syncing thousands of small files it takes a long time. Would love if they updated to use nosql like mongodb or similar.
              i got better performance using sqlite than mysql

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
                Official owncloud 5 release notes tell you to delete everything but Data and config and extract the sources overtop those 2 directories NOT do an in-place upgrade. Did you follow that note? >.>
                I don't read the readme page.

I used a script from "http://blog.petrockblock.com/2012/08/15/your-own-cloud-server-with-owncloud-on-the-raspberry-pi/" to automate the installation.

Also the owncloud performace on the RPi is not bad, I'm havee 366 items (~260MB) sync'd. The intail syncing was slow but after that its fine. The RPi sits idle most of the day.

Comment

Working...
                X