Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex Alpha 4

Phoronix: Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex Alpha 4

As the first and only Intrepid Ibex test release in August, Ubuntu 8.10 Alpha 4 was released into the wild this morning. This release is coming two weeks before the Ubuntu 8.10 feature freeze and the first artwork deadline. Ubuntu 8.10 Alpha 4 provides support for a GNOME guest-session mode, an encrypted private directory, and it integrates NetworkManager 0.7. Of course, this is already on top of Ubuntu 8.10 shipping with the Linux 2.6.26 kernel, X.Org 7.4 / X Server 1.5, and many other updated packages.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

At first, I couldn't believe how boring that looks. The good thing is that Michael just seems to have downloaded the wrong ISO. So here's the screenshots you guys have been waiting for:

Kubuntu 8.10 Alpha 4 - Polished desktop

Kubuntu 8.10 Alpha 4 - Dolphin & device choser

Kubuntu 8.10 Alpha 4 - Kopete, Kontact, System Monitor & Notes plasmoid (I know you will love this one!)

Overall, the 4th alpha runs noticeably smoother, more stable and more polished than the 3rd alpha. To be honest, it already felt like a nearly finished build of Kubuntu 8.10 - good times ahead!

Comment

Ewwww. It's...it's.....blue.

Urp.

Comment

Oh... KDE 4.1 very nice, it's amazing!

I feel it very fast! The whole desktop is so integrated, the Qt and KDE team have made a great work!

I have switched from Gnome to KDE 3.5 ~6 weeks ago, but now I see that now KDE 4.1 is even better than 3.5.

I don't understand why the Gnome isn't a integrated, fast, stable and customizable desktop after so many years, now KDE 4 is the future.

Comment

Originally posted by rbmorse View Post
          Ewwww. It's...it's.....blue.

Urp.
          Yeah, I never really got that - at first I'm sure it was just the path of least resistance, since investing all the required work to come up with a good brown Human theme for KDE 3 wouldn't be worth it, but they're definitely using the blue now to differentiate from the default earthy Gnome desktop - I prefer the brown, so I'd hope that if it isn't there already, there'll be an optional brown Human theme shipped with Intrepid. Unfortunately they've always gone with a blue Kubuntu logo all the way down to the boot splash screen and marketing stuff, so I don't see the default changing any time soon.

Comment

I'm just curious. Will Intrepid Ibex ship with DRI2 or DRI1? Will it have open source 3D support for ati R500 chips? Will it finally be possible to play 3D games or watch videos without tearing while compiz is turned on?

Comment

Originally posted by DoDoENT View Post
              I'm just curious. Will Intrepid Ibex ship with DRI2 or DRI1?
              DRI1. DRI2 was stripped out of X.Org 7.4 / X Server 1.5.

Will it have open source 3D support for ati R500 chips?
              Yes, any X.Org 7.4 distribution should. Mesa 7.1 is a requirement for X.Org 7.4 support and in Mesa 7.1 are the latest 3D bits for R500 support. All you then need is xf86-video-ati (or xf86-video-radeonhd).

Will it finally be possible to play 3D games or watch videos without tearing while compiz is turned on?
              With open-source drivers, probably not.
              Michael Larabel
              https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Thank you for your quick answer. Looks like I'll stay with hardy then. I've installed the new radeon driver using the Tormold Volden's script on my hardy installation and it works perfectly. No video tearing, a little opengl games tearing (almost unnoticable) and compiz works flawlessly - everything works much better than with fglrx (except 30 minutes shorter laptop battery life). I think this script installed DRI2 on my laptop, or am I wrong maybe?

The thread I'm talking about is located here.

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
                  evil

Comment

Working...
                  X