Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 12.04 LTS Desktop To Be Supported Longer

Phoronix: Ubuntu 12.04 LTS Desktop To Be Supported Longer

Canonical is announcing this morning that they will be extending their desktop support of Ubuntu 12.04 LTS from three years to five years...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Great news.

I love ubuntu server, at least for my needs it always demonstrated to be stable 100%. Both 8.04 and 10.04.

Looking forward to 12.04 release.

Comment

Supported longer than Debian supports their releases...
      Wow.. just wow...

Comment

Originally posted by Sidicas View Post
        Supported longer than Debian supports their releases...
        Wow.. just wow...
        It will be impressive when they support a release for 13 years.

Comment

This is a good move if they want to make any headway with business users.

Comment

It doesn't matters if the distro is supported for three or for five years in case the level of this support is far from perfect.

As a matter of experiment I had installed Ubuntu 10.04 LTS on the workstations of the one of the clients my company provides IT outsourcing services to. Can't say that this experience was terrible but the amount of work we had been forced to do in order to fix some annoying bugs was noticeably bigger then the usual post-install experience for CentOS/RHEL. Most annoying bugs for our clients that weren't fixed in "LTS" up till now:
            1. Plymouth hang at startup in case system is trying to do the filesystem check. This bug is "declared" to be fixed but actually it is not. Reports to launchpad about it being not fixed are merely ignored.
            2. Various pulse-audio issues. Most of them are well-known PA and/or alsa-plugins bugs that had been fixed in fresh releases. This fixes are not being backported to LTS release. We have to proceed with stripping out PA from LTS installation and take all the burden of reconfiguring systems to use alsa/dmix.
            3. Firefox and Thunderbird support. Fast release cycle for this major OSS products implies that there would be ~6 major releases during the LTS support time frame. This fact is being simply ignored. We have to use thrid-party ppa's to install fresh versions of Mozilla products.

This being said, I'm excited that another linux distro had come to a road of extending LTS support - now we would be able to offer our corporate client more options when it comes to long-term OSS OS installations.

Comment

Originally posted by lexa2 View Post
              It doesn't matters if the distro is supported for three or for five years in case the level of this support is far from perfect.

As a matter of experiment I had installed Ubuntu 10.04 LTS on the workstations of the one of the clients my company provides IT outsourcing services to. Can't say that this experience was terrible but the amount of work we had been forced to do in order to fix some annoying bugs was noticeably bigger then the usual post-install experience for CentOS/RHEL. Most annoying bugs for our clients that weren't fixed in "LTS" up till now:
              1. Plymouth hang at startup in case system is trying to do the filesystem check. This bug is "declared" to be fixed but actually it is not. Reports to launchpad about it being not fixed are merely ignored.
              2. Various pulse-audio issues. Most of them are well-known PA and/or alsa-plugins bugs that had been fixed in fresh releases. This fixes are not being backported to LTS release. We have to proceed with stripping out PA from LTS installation and take all the burden of reconfiguring systems to use alsa/dmix.
              3. Firefox and Thunderbird support. Fast release cycle for this major OSS products implies that there would be ~6 major releases during the LTS support time frame. This fact is being simply ignored. We have to use thrid-party ppa's to install fresh versions of Mozilla products.

This being said, I'm excited that another linux distro had come to a road of extending LTS support - now we would be able to offer our corporate client more options when it comes to long-term OSS OS installations.

Totally agree. I've deployed Ubuntu on plenty of desktops and servers, but I've avoided the LTS's, and just opt for the latest release that is, from my personal experience, stable. At the risk of being called a heretic, I don't really care about getting updates, I'd rather turn off updates than risk borking a production server or workstation with one.

This has been my lifetime experience with Ubuntu:

8.04 - turd
              8.10 - good
              9.04 - turd
              9.10 - good
              10.04 - OK, with a few bugs that just ruin it
              10.10 - good
              11.04 - good
              11.10 - pretty good, but previously stable drivers seem to have gotten worse

Hopefully 12.04 turns out good, but it seems like the Linux kernel has been going through a rough period after 2.6.38. I've tested recent Linux 3.1 RC's, and it seems to be even worse than 3.0.

Comment

Yes, yes, yes

I'm so happy I could just compute. Of course, my joy is predicated on the assumption that 12.04 will prove substantially better than 10.04 at actually running on existing hardware. Since 8.04 there hasn't been a release of comparable stability and compatibility.

Comment

This will be great for people who wish to avoid Wayland.

Comment

Originally posted by yogi_berra View Post
                    It will be impressive when they support a release for 13 years.
                    Who does this?

Comment

Working...
                    X